The MAELSTROM X7 with the XM-L LED has been released at 4sevens!

srfreddy

Enlightened
I don't see the point... it seems like it's the G5 electronics with an XML. If it was driven to the max (~7-800 lum.) I'd be interested but not as it is now. Was looking forward to it too. Might as well mod a G5 with an emitter swap. I do love the XPG G5 though.

Rich
The x7 gets 700 emmiter lumens off one cell- I would expect the td15x to get 840 ish emmiter lumens, buts it's got low regulation with it, so output drops rather quickly.
Hmmm... are there different versions of the TD-15X? Mine tail-stands just fine, and does not change modes when whacked. (I tried, hard.)
When I set it down hard on a hard surface,I flashes off foe a second. I have short cells, which probably causes the problem to get worse.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
When I set it down hard on a hard surface,I flashes off foe a second. I have short cells, which probably causes the problem to get worse.

Same here (it's just physics if the cell is short enough and you whack hard enough), but that's all -- I never get a mode change. Do you?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't see the point... it seems like it's the G5 electronics with an XML. If it was driven to the max (~7-800 lum.) I'd be interested but not as it is now. Was looking forward to it too. Might as well mod a G5 with an emitter swap. I do love the XPG G5 though.

Rich
If tbey just boosted it up to 2.5 amps with the same ui it would be great imo. When you underdrive xml the small increase in lumens isn't worth the decrease in lux

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

justlux

Newly Enlightened
Yes please, beamshots and lux readings.

I can't find lux readings for either Maelstrom X7 or X10, has anyone done any? Do we know what they are? If anyone knows could you please tell me?

Thanks,

Jessica

Tarantula

Newly Enlightened
I received X7 today and I'm disappointed with the beam. Center spot has dark spot in it.
You can see it in close range and further you throw, the dark spot get's bigger and uglier.
I think that with the OP reflector beam would be much better.
I've been always waiting for reviews when buying new flashlights, but this time I couldn't wait. I read good reviews about G5, so I was thinking that X7 would be even better. I liked X7 UI very much.
Last flashlight that I bought was Olight M20 Warrior R5, but I don't like UI too much. But beam profile is great. Much better than X7.
X7 is too pricey for that kind of beam.
I was thinking that for that price X7 would be perfect.
Now I'm sad.
Or maybe mine is defect. Now I'm waiting for someone to post beam pictures or some reviews.
Sorry for bad english, that's why I never post anything, just read for years now.

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, this light is very overpriced. To each there own i guess. If it cost 80 or so dollars maybe I would be interested. No reason a light like this should be that expensive, but im sure people will still buy it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Tarantula --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

By the way, your English is fine !

:thumbsup:
_

e171fish

Newly Enlightened
Tarantula - My X7 exhibits the same beam characteristics as yours. I'm pretty disappointed. It's not as noticeable outdoors but unfortunately my primary use is indoors. I do love the design and user interface.

Tarantula

Newly Enlightened
Tarantula - My X7 exhibits the same beam characteristics as yours. I'm pretty disappointed. It's not as noticeable outdoors but unfortunately my primary use is indoors. I do love the design and user interface.

Yea, the UI is great, if you are in low mode, just turn the head little to the right to get moonlight mode, or little to the left to get high mode...just great.
You don't have to cycle all modes like on some flashlights to get desired mode.
Like on Olight M20...I hate that UI but the beam of M20 R5 is perfect.

This is the first time that I didn't wait for reviews...and the last.
The X7 beam looks better outdoors, but you can still see the black hole...big black hole.
After years of talking to forum members and knowing what people want, I can't believe that 4Sevens are selling this ugly beam for that price!?
And with declaration that you can mount it on a weapon.
I mean if you light the target on, let's say 50 yards, the target will be in dark spot, and you can't see that he draws a bazooka out of his pants...:poof: you're dead!
Shame on you 4Sevens :tsk:
They could save situation if they make OP reflector, so we can replace it.
I think with OP black hole would disappear.

PayBack

Enlightened
I have a light with dual springs that will remain unnamed that did in fact crush the nipple of the 18650 when it was dropped. In fact, dual springs is one of its advertised features.

I hate crused nipples.

However is my G5 faulty? I use AW2900's in it fine, and they have no nipples.

PayBack

Enlightened
I received X7 today and I'm disappointed with the beam. Center spot has dark spot in it.
You can see it in close range and further you throw, the dark spot get's bigger and uglier.
I think that with the OP reflector beam would be much better.
I've been always waiting for reviews when buying new flashlights, but this time I couldn't wait. I read good reviews about G5, so I was thinking that X7 would be even better. I liked X7 UI very much.
Last flashlight that I bought was Olight M20 Warrior R5, but I don't like UI too much. But beam profile is great. Much better than X7.
X7 is too pricey for that kind of beam.
I was thinking that for that price X7 would be perfect.
Now I'm sad.
Or maybe mine is defect. Now I'm waiting for someone to post beam pictures or some reviews.
Sorry for bad english, that's why I never post anything, just read for years now.

The only problem with your understanding of english is that you don't see how good yours is. I see nothing in your post you need to apologize for, it's fine. :)

Funny thing yesterday was I was talking to someone online from America, he said where are you from? I said New Zealand, and he said wow, your english is very good! :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Funny thing yesterday was I was talking to someone online from America, he said where are you from?
I said New Zealand, and he said wow, your english is very good! :ohgeez:

Yer' lucky he didn't say:

" So -- how are things in South America ? ? ? "

:cool:
_

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my Maelstrom X7 Neutral today. Running an 18650 battery I noticed only a small difference of brightness switching from Medium to High modes. Sometimes modes would jump. Later I installed 2 CR123 batteries and the light works perfectly. No mode jumping and very noticeable brightness changes when switching all modes. Nice feel of the light and beam quality to my eyes. I'm now thinking of running 2 18350 batteries instead of a single 18650 because of the mentioned issues. Maybe the light is still too new and needs the threads worked some more.
Has anyone else found issues running one 18650 battery ?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my Maelstrom X7 Neutral today. Running an 18650 battery I noticed only a small difference of brightness switching from Medium to High modes. Sometimes modes would jump. Later I installed 2 CR123 batteries and the light works perfectly. No mode jumping and very noticeable brightness changes when switching all modes. Nice feel of the light and beam quality to my eyes. I'm now thinking of running 2 18350 batteries instead of a single 18650 because of the mentioned issues. Maybe the light is still too new and needs the threads worked some more.
Has anyone else found issues running one 18650 battery ?
what specific 18650 did you use?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
what specific 18650 did you use?

I used an Ultrafire 18650 and then an AW IMR 18650. The mode jumping was not from the battery, but from having the head of the light tight or loose enough to almost be in the next mode. Any slight pressure on the head would activate the next mode briefly, causing what I thought was mode jumping. The head needs to be set exactly half way between modes.

As far as the brightness change, Medium and High need to be further apart for a more dramatic difference in output. On Medium, I measured a .6 amp draw. On high, I think I remember a 1.4 amp draw from both 18650 cells.I run my light mostly on low and medium. Moonlight is useless outdoors and High is not bright enough to justify eating up almost double the battery juice for the small increase in brightness over the medium setting. That said, I do like the far reaching beam from such a lightweight flashlight.