The making of a reflector - The nCluster

racer7

Newly Enlightened
I think making some samples available is a good idea.
Should be to folks who have already built a quad led so a comparison model is handy.
My own thought is that unless apparent losses are large in this setup, it will have some utility if for no other reason than it makes doing a multiple setup simpler. The reflector holders recently made in a small batch by someone (where is that thread anyway?) have much of the same advantage, however. But there are multiple socket solutions for modded Mag incans so why not multiple reflector solutions for leds?

Interesting project

Regards,
Racer7

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think making some samples available is a good idea.
Should be to folks who have already built a quad led so a comparison model is handy.

Already contacted Mac, also sent a PM to Milky but no reply yet.

Regarding the trilobe bike light, I see each reflector only have their external walls, I guess this is on purpose to have more flood

To machine these, doing them on a CNC VMC would make them unafordable, if I ever do them the best method I found is stamping then in aluminium, only time will tell :)

Pablo

Gryloc

Enlightened
This was a nice project of yours. I was hoping that you did more work to create an improved product or something by now. Do you plan on generating more prototypes?

I was wondering, have you though to do the math to find the optimum surface area (with the widest and deepest reflector design) while still minimizing the overall diameter of the quad reflector? You would have to use Calculus to find the max reflector surface with the smallest desired quad reflector diameter. This means doing away with certain parts of the 3D parabolic shape. You also have to consider wasted space, I suppose. I know that it is a big compromise. There has to be an optimal shape/design to get the best and brightest beam while keeping things small. That would be great, wouldn't it?

I tried to do some of the math, but my Calculus is still very limited and I do not have the drive to figure out such a thing. Well, good luck again with your design. I always liked the quad reflector profile, so I hope that you continue to pursue toying with the design of these!

-Tony

Norm

Retired Administrator
Your reflector looks very similar to one I made a couple of months back Pablo, mine was made from 4 of DX's dropin module reflectors, this is out of the junk draw and fairly knocked about now. This was just filed by hand and super glued together but the idea is the same. It is very wrecked from bashing about with other junk. Not much hot spot but lots of flood.
Norm

quadbk1.jpg

hmmr

Newly Enlightened
And now imagine a similar reflector on a 540 lumen triple rebel star :)

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Enhorabuena Pablo, estás hecho un fenónemo, menuda luz!!!!!!! :thumbsup: (Congratulations Pablo, you are do a phenomenon, what great light!!!)

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Scattergun

Enlightened
Would be kinda cool if you were to cut down the height of the pedestal in the middle and make holes for wiring in a fifth emitter in the middle... might add some spill to the rest....

lukestephens777

Enlightened
What about putting a Red Lumileds Rebel smack bang in the middle, with 4 x Cree Q5's around the outside! It would help to make the light temperature more natural. What a light that would be!

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
Good read... You might want to consider also having your CNC do the polishing and buffing. I do this with my customs with a final buffing of bee's wax to seal the aluminum from oxidizing. I then pot the entire lens assembly with an optically clear resin.

Give it a try....

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
My offer to the modders I mentioned is still valid :wave:

Pablo

Pablo, I'm all over that offer! Only thing is, I really have no idea what outer diameter to request for the cluster... that's what's been holding me up from taking you up on your offer! :ohgeez:

Maybe you should just send me whatever you've got sitting around, so long as it'll fit in a Maglite head. (If it fits in there, it would also fit in a SureFire turbohead should I decide to build into one of those.)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good read... You might want to consider also having your CNC do the polishing and buffing. I do this with my customs with a final buffing of bee's wax to seal the aluminum from oxidizing. I then pot the entire lens assembly with an optically clear resin.

Give it a try....

Hmm... that sounds like a great idea.

One question, and please forgive if it only serves to demonstrate my ignorance, how long would such a bee's wax buffing last... would it need to be reapplied periodically or stay in place, preventing oxidation for the foreseeable future?

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pablo, I'm all over that offer! Only thing is, I really have no idea what outer diameter to request for the cluster... that's what's been holding me up from taking you up on your offer! :ohgeez:

Maybe you should just send me whatever you've got sitting around, so long as it'll fit in a Maglite head. (If it fits in there, it would also fit in a SureFire turbohead should I decide to build into one of those.)

Scott, tell me the diameter you want (I dont have big maglites) and your address and I ship one right away :)

Pablo

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... that sounds like a great idea.

One question, and please forgive if it only serves to demonstrate my ignorance, how long would such a bee's wax buffing last... would it need to be reapplied periodically or stay in place, preventing oxidation for the foreseeable future?

No, it won't last forever (rats) but it gives a nice shine and doesn't interfere with the potting solution I use to fully protect the aluminum. You need to keep in mind that aluminum oxidizes the INSTANT it is exposed to air. More time with cause more but one reason adhesives don't work as well as they can on aluminum is the oxidation issue. If you really want to glue to aluminum parts together for good, apply the adhesive to both parts, then use a stainless steel wire brush to scrub the glue in. The glue will then fully attach to the aluminum and not allow air to to it caused the oxidation and the bond is truly strong. I say this to more fully explain the issue with the polish and why the bee's wax works. A high polish anodizing is also possible be keeping air away from the reflector with an inert gas during the entire process but its darn hard to do without automated equipment.