Movie was Under Siege II
smile.gif

Libbs

Newly Enlightened
Yep, Under Siege 2 :D

exact quote was: "Assumption is the mother of all %$@! up's!"

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I see we have some Seagal and/or action movie fans!

Is that the one where he's on the train? With Eric Bogosian?

Not a real Seagal fan myself ... however, I liked Seagal when he was thinner ... or perhaps "less heavy". He was much more believable then.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the IBM comparrison. Not to slam Surefire, I carry and use one everyday... but my personal opinion is that their focus is on the military gravy train and not the general consumer.

Thats why this country is so great. Giants fall and and new ones are created all the time. I would love to see a Surefire E2 light (or any other) with a cree or other state of the art led in it. I do not expect one anytime soon, and if one was announced, it would be months and months before it would hit the shelves if the U2 and Kroma launch patterns are repeated.

My only hope is that Inova, Streamlight, Pelican and some other midsized makers can convert quickly. In the mean time, I wish the quick and agile companies all the success in the world as they receive my and many others monies.

Martini

Enlightened
I think it bears repeating that Surefire does not cater to CPF. We help define the standards for the Flashaholic/Custom market. Surefire has generally defined their own.

Bottom line: SF has no need or desire to design a fad product. They will adapt proven technologies when it is advantageous to do so. Until then, we'll just stand around scratching our heads, wondering why SF is still in the "dark ages." :huh2:

lightrod

Enlightened
woodrow said:
....their focus is on the military gravy train and not the general consumer.....

The comment points to a somewhat sad reality IMO. Why should I, who deals with survival or life threatening situations about as often as pigs fly, have a light that is brighter and/or has more runtime, less bulk, more functionality, etc., than our soldiers?

Call me naive, but surely the military focus for a company throws a premium on reliable, high performance equipment, and should drive steady innovation and advances in technology. IMO this is in fact true as far as it goes, but the red tape a co. must go through to qualify a new product for military usage - stringent specs with extensive testing (both bench and field) and burdensome processes for approval - slows down the rate of progress. But there is some rationale here - clearly a good performing light that has been proven reliable in use can be of more value than a newer and more capable light that perhaps does not work! The question lies in striking the right balance of testing and implementation, and on that question I am woefully ignorant of the pertinent facts to determine the "right" approach (and even if I were not so ignorant my opinion would not count!).

My bet is the SF is deeply into performance R&D and I imagine could blow us away of they wanted to. It's not their technology or capability that slows them - it's the nature of the business they are in.

All just my guess/opinion of course!

Size15's

Flashaholic
lightrod said:
My bet is the SF is deeply into performance R&D and I imagine could blow us away of they wanted to. It's not their technology or capability that slows them - it's the nature of the business they are in.

That seems reasonable to me.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
lightrod said:

i agree, keep in mind, they will only release something that is of a great quality, nothing less....

Blacklight

Enlightened
I was in a meeting with Cree today and they showed me a press release for today that they have formed some kind of partnership with Surefire. Someone with a little more time than me can probably google it and post a link. Good news to those of you asking.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires with Cree, to be available in the near future. 3 models to start with. My wallet is vibrating.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
fnmag said:
Surefires with Cree, to be available in the near future...

I also can't wait but I'm not holding my breath. If recent history is an indicator, we won't see these things until fall 2007 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.