The Nightsword project

BVH

Flashaholic
Seeing my description in animation helps make it clear that your original is more intuitive. I kind of thought that after thinking about it for a while.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this one's the most intuitive...
(three side-by-side images shown here, so it won't line up on a narrow browser)

nav-left.png
beam-slider-animation-4.gif
nav-right.png

EDIT: To keep a shut down from affecting the lamp during startup, the [IGNITE] button will say [RUN UP]. Once run up is complete, the button will say [OFF]. If the [RUN UP] button is pressed during the run up process, it would warn about the affect of premature shutoff on the lamp and will provide three options: 1. auto shutoff when run up is complete, 2. shut off anyway, 3. cancel.

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're seeing it right then.

I'm trying to finalize the look of this beam spread indicator because it's a lot of work to set up interactively in the display and only want to set it up once, so I appreciate quick the feedback.

To reduce the amount of light coming from the screen for night vision sensitivity, I've now used lines for the beam spread indicator rather than solid color...

nav-left.png
beam-slider-animation-5.gif
nav-right.png

BVH

Flashaholic
I like the solid color better. I think the purpose of that part of the graphic is lost. Do you think night vision is an issue? What about dimming down the beam solid color?

HKJ

Flashaholic
To reduce the amount of light coming from the screen for night vision sensitivity, I've now used lines for the beam spread indicator rather than solid color..

Is night vision an issue with the light on?
I would only expect it to be an issue some time after the light is turned off.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
These screens can have some degree of affect when they're lit up close to the face. Dim solid color will do.

I've played around with solid dim warm colors and they get bland looking when dimmed, so I'm giving a dim teal-blue a shot. It's not a deep blue and since it's dimmed it shouldn't take such a big hit on low light sensitivity...

nav-left.png
beam-slider-animation-6.gif
nav-right.png

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think the dark teal is good. The more I look at it, the orange is just too much, especially on flood.

Great animation btw!:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic

I just ran into this light and the touch screen slider for the output control reminded me of the Nightsword in a way. The gif. sort of puts an image to the slider method, I guess.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notice how the the thumb in that pic has to scrunch close into the hand when sliding the control inward? I find that uncomfortable. That's what I was explaining when I decided to locate the slider further forward as it is now. I'm going to work on other areas and the best way to create the slider illustration will work its way out.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got bored with the display so I played around a bit. Probably over the top but it was fun to try something different...

nav-render-10.png

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't sure what anyone would think, I was half awake making it. If you like something more graphical like this, there couldn't be an animated beam angle illustration because the line shading is contained within the multiple other objects. The buttons would still be interactive with four stages... Ready, Touch, Release, and Active. Of course the beam angle would still be displayed. It's a bit cleaner with some text removed. The percentage numbers were redundant since the meters are displayed so I removed them for this rendition. I think removing the labels for the Power/Flow/Fan meters makes it a bit more sophisticated. Removing these things provides more space for the meters to be nice and large. Of course thoughts, criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK like that? (Images updated)

Edit.. also clean up the squared corners of the text backgrounds.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe an arrow(s) on the slider would make the light easier and more intuitive to use...?