The Official Zebralight Thread .

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
what does Tint deviation: 2-step mean?

i was thinking that my H502w flood headlamp light for pocket carry everyday would do well in changing tire duties while tail standing. or, i could make sure i bring the head strap whenever i drive lol.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
what does Tint deviation: 2-step mean?

i was thinking that my H502w flood headlamp light for pocket carry everyday would do well in changing tire duties while tail standing. or, i could make sure i bring the head strap whenever i drive lol.

Good info here from maukka: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?443749-Zebralight-SC64c-(XP-L2)-measurements-or-quot-why-2-step-means-squat-quot

the funny thing is, all my 5 step lights look MUCH better than any 3's I've tried. But it was a gamble and those varied a lot over the years so I won't be selling many of my Zebralights. My SC64w? Basically a Nichia 219B with only a little less noticeable CRI.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC64w? Basically a Nichia 219B with only a little less noticeable CRI.
Man, I hope I get lucky when I replace my SC62w that I just lost. I wish they'd use XP-L HI's, they have been the most consistly nice tint of all emitters I've used, except for the 219B's.

Does the newest H600w have the pogo pins like the SC63/64?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
So who are the wizards that can mod these things? If they had good tint they would be my end all be all. I can survive with this SC53w just fine, but if it had a nice warm even tint I'd be in flashlight nirvana.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have SC53c and H53c. There is a very slight tint difference between them only noticeable with a side by side comparison. Both of them have the most incan reminding tint I ever experienced with an LED. This makes me wanting a SC64c!

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info here from maukka: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?443749-Zebralight-SC64c-(XP-L2)-measurements-or-quot-why-2-step-means-squat-quot

the funny thing is, all my 5 step lights look MUCH better than any 3's I've tried. But it was a gamble and those varied a lot over the years so I won't be selling many of my Zebralights. My SC64w? Basically a Nichia 219B with only a little less noticeable CRI.
Still don't have a clue as to what Tint deviation: 2-step means. Is it a mode, or an LED tint?

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I have not experienced that with any of my several ZL's. I'd definitely contact Zebralight because I think that's a defect.

H600Fd Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 Floody 5000K

Anyone have issues with it draining batteries while it's put away?

markr6

Flashaholic
I have not experienced that with any of my several ZL's. I'd definitely contact Zebralight because I think that's a defect.

Same thoughts here. ZL is one of the best, if not THE BEST, when it comes to low parasitic drain with electronic switches.

Enlightened
Still don't have a clue as to what Tint deviation: 2-step means. Is it a mode, or an LED tint?
It means the tints of the LED's within the given 2 step batch will all fall within the defined area. Larger step numbers mean greater variation from LED to LED within the same batch. Smaller numbers mean lesser variations.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same thoughts here. ZL is one of the best, if not THE BEST, when it comes to low parasitic drain with electronic switches.

Thanks guys. Got an email out to zebra light. Gonna try a different battery while I wait.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Zebralight have any interaction on this or any other forum? I ask because it seems like some of the gripes that the flashlight crowd have with their lights could be easily fixed. Mainly led choice and tint. lots Of us feel the lights are amazing but we struggle with living with the color of light that the leds put out. This seems like an easy fix no? Malkoff neutrals don't have tint shift with loads of green. Maglite spectrum warm have really nice warm beams that are even. Obviously with all the electronics going on things will glitch or you'll get a bad light at times, but why is beam color such an issue still? If zebralight used the led that's in my solitaire warm white I'd throw a party!

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Does Zebralight have any interaction on this or any other forum? I ask because it seems like some of the gripes that the flashlight crowd have with their lights could be easily fixed. Mainly led choice and tint. lots Of us feel the lights are amazing but we struggle with living with the color of light that the leds put out. This seems like an easy fix no? Malkoff neutrals don't have tint shift with loads of green. Maglite spectrum warm have really nice warm beams that are even. Obviously with all the electronics going on things will glitch or you'll get a bad light at times, but why is beam color such an issue still? If zebralight used the led that's in my solitaire warm white I'd throw a party!

None that I've seen, or at least no conspicuous interaction. I often think that they MUST be curious and check out the forums at least once in a while.

Have you tried their frosted lenses or DC-Fix?

Like most others, I find tint shift unpleasant in both practice and in white-wall analysis. This drove me to put some DC-Fix on my first ZL, an H53c. Since then, I'm all about diffused optics. When it comes to less than popular tints like yellow or, dare I say, green, I find on a white setting it doesn't look near as good, but in practice, say in a forest, it looks great. For example, my H600Fc is more neutral, perhaps closers to the BBL (pure speculation) than my H53Fc and looks a lot nicer in a white room, but out camping, I prefer my yellowish H53Fc.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a simpler diagram. http://www.dga.it/en/elissi-macadam

You want to stay as close to the black body curve of white light as possible, so the 2-step is good. 3 is OK. It goes wild from there, hence the "tint lottery".

It means the tints of the LED's within the given 2 step batch will all fall within the defined area. Larger step numbers mean greater variation from LED to LED within the same batch. Smaller numbers mean lesser variations.
Thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I don't think the "tint lottery" is an issue, at least not any more. There will always be some issues with lights, and given the popularity of Zebralights on this forum, there's bound to be some people that get a greenish tint or are sensitive to tint issues. Those are the people you hear about. Far less people will get a light they're satisfied with and post that they're happy about it. It's just the way the Internet works.

For me, I've been pretty happy with all my Zebralight tints, going back about 5 years. The only one that is slightly greenish, is a first edition SC52 cool white, but I only bought it because neutrals weren't out yet. But it's no worse than any of my other XML cool whites from back in those days.

If you're expecting perfect, you'll have to stick to the HI versions of Cree LEDs. The regular domed Cree emitters will always have some tint shift, and some green in the corona, regardless of the brand of light. Zebralight doesn't do Nichia 219 emitters.

I'm sure if I bought 100 Zebralights, at least 1 of them would be an ugly green I wasn't happy with.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just reading through the sc64c thread and it's almost ALL posts about tint, at least once the light got into peoples hands. So I'd say the tint lottery is still very much a thing and again makes me wonder why zebralight chooses the leds that they do.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I don't think the "tint lottery" is an issue, at least not any more. There will always be some issues with lights, and given the popularity of Zebralights on this forum, there's bound to be some people that get a greenish tint or are sensitive to tint issues. Those are the people you hear about. Far less people will get a light they're satisfied with and post that they're happy about it. It's just the way the Internet works.

For me, I've been pretty happy with all my Zebralight tints, going back about 5 years. The only one that is slightly greenish, is a first edition SC52 cool white, but I only bought it because neutrals weren't out yet. But it's no worse than any of my other XML cool whites from back in those days.

If you're expecting perfect, you'll have to stick to the HI versions of Cree LEDs. The regular domed Cree emitters will always have some tint shift, and some green in the corona, regardless of the brand of light. Zebralight doesn't do Nichia 219 emitters.

I'm sure if I bought 100 Zebralights, at least 1 of them would be an ugly green I wasn't happy with.

I disagree. I have the latest SC5c and the tint is pretty bad. I don't think it's so much that it's bad because of the tint lottery, just that most of the new c's are too yellow. Of the 5 I've had one was perfect, one was good, one barely acceptable, and two horrible. If only they would choose Cree HI, which I have found to be extremely consistent and great tint. I'd also love a 219B version, but I know that'd never happen.

Latest posts