The Official Zebralight Thread .

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ZL would supply the OEM replacement press-in bezels, it would be very easy for customers to repair. You wouldn't need some guy in Canada, who no doubt had to make his own bezels.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
what are you guys talking about? replacement bezel? making your own bezel? wut

doesn't this job merely involve removing and reusing the existing bezel? one just needs to find a replacement lens.

you should just do it yourself. measure the existing lens. measure the thickness from a fragment of it, and measure the diameter from the flashlight's lens cutout. then go shopping for a replacement, put it in there with the oring, and press the bezel back in.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding a replacement lens is the easy part of the job. How do you get the bezel out without damaging by prying from underneath bezel between the glass?

@SYZYGY, possibly use to pry bezel with a modified paint can opener, ground thin to fit ?

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
considering finding a lens is the hardest part of the job, if that's easy, then the whole thing is easy.

i don't understand your question. are you implying that the lens being broken makes it harder to remove the bezel? if it affects the difficulty, it should only make it easier since you have more of a gap to work with.

i also don't get why someone would have to replace the bezel with a new one.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
considering finding a lens is the hardest part of the job, if that's easy, then the whole thing is easy.

i don't understand your question. are you implying that the lens being broken makes it harder to remove the bezel? if it affects the difficulty, it should only make it easier since you have more of a gap to work with.

i also don't get why someone would have to replace the bezel with a new one.
Broken glass or not, how are you getting out the bezel with your front teeth?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
with a pry tool. is there something unique about sc62 i'm missing here compared to other sc6x series lights?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I never opened one up with tool or my teeth.
What pry tool, a flat tip screw driver?
I've never messed with one, yet..
I am guessing they're all pressed in exactly the same from factory, no matter what model, or diameter of bezel,, yes?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
see link in my previous post. it contains info about a pry tool i made. i also made a follow up post about an emitter swap. you can also read the full thread if you want.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
and like i was saying, since the glass is broken, you will have a gap (formerly occupied by glass) to get a tool into. you probably don't need to make one. can probably just use a slotted screwdriver.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, if glass is in pieces (or not) chip it out will leave a good size slot to get underneath with pry bar, then working your way around.. easy peasy!

Good link, nice job, and you removed glass without damaging 👍

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know anybody who will replace a lens on an SC62? Zebralight has to send it to China, and I've read of too many lost lights or 8 month turn-arounds to risk it. Thanks in advance.
You're being superstitious. I've heard nothing but good things about Zebralight fixing and replacing lights for free. There was a thread a few years ago with pictures of a light destroyed in a motorcycle accident, having been scraped against the asphalt long enough to make it almost unrecognizable. Zebralight replaced it, no questions asked. If you trust your Zebralight, then it is only rational to trust Zebralight. Trusting one and not the other is cognitive dissonance. If you want to mod your Zebralight, Bob McBob is your guy. If you want your Zebralight serviced, you send it to Zebralight.

One land, one king! That is my peace, Cornwall!
-Uther Pendragon, Excalibur, 1981

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Zebralight replaced it, no questions asked. If you trust your Zebralight, then it is only rational to trust Zebralight. Trusting one and not the other is cognitive dissonance.

i have no experience with their warranty or repair service, but i wouldn't necessarily assume that high quality of a company's products implies quality of their warranty or turnaround time.

If you want to mod your Zebralight, Bob McBob is your guy.

i think he strongly prefers to mod and sell new ones—not ones people send in.

If you want your Zebralight serviced, you send it to Zebralight.

i'd ask them if they have a repair ETA for replacing the lens. if you're satisfied with their answer, send it in. if not, find a lens and replace it yourself.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Just to clarify, I don't make my own bezels, though it would certainly open up some interesting possibilities if I had proper access to a metal lathe. I open Zebralights with a variety of tools to minimize cosmetic damage to the bezel. It's actually a fair bit more work to open them with a broken lens, because the bezel still holds down the glass underneath it and I have to carefully pull out a bunch of little glass shards to get enough access to pull off the bezel. The glass dust also makes a real mess on the reflector, and can get inside the body and even into the switch.

I've done various minor repairs for people over the years. Usually if you're going to send me a light for a repair, it makes sense to just have it modded at the same time since I don't charge for new switches, lenses, etc. For anything serious I usually advise people to send it back to Zebralight even though it may be 3-4 months before you get it back.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wouldn't necessarily assume that high quality of a company's products implies quality of their warranty or turnaround time.

You would assume otherwise?

For anything serious I usually advise people to send it back to Zebralight even though it may be 3-4 months before you get it back.

This guy. Hi Bob. I still have plans for your hands, and they're still stuck on the horizon, but hopefully it'll come together this year.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
You would assume otherwise?

no, i just wouldn't assume either way (that good/bad product implies good/bad service (or vice versa)—i've seen all four combos). and so i don't think it's dissonant to not have faith in the service dept merely because a product is good.

i'm not saying ZL service is bad. never used it, and i'm happy to hear good things about it since they're practically the only lights i use.

Last edited:

EamonnWright

Newly Enlightened
no, i just wouldn't assume either way (that good/bad product implies good/bad service (or vice versa)—i've seen all four combos). and so i don't think it's dissonant to not have faith in the service dept merely because a product is good.

i'm not saying ZL service is bad. never used it, and i'm happy to hear good things about it since they're practically the only lights i use.
You're being superstitious. I've heard nothing but good things about Zebralight fixing and replacing lights for free. There was a thread a few years ago with pictures of a light destroyed in a motorcycle accident, having been scraped against the asphalt long enough to make it almost unrecognizable. Zebralight replaced it, no questions asked. If you trust your Zebralight, then it is only rational to trust Zebralight. Trusting one and not the other is cognitive dissonance. If you want to mod your Zebralight, Bob McBob is your guy. If you want your Zebralight serviced, you send it to Zebralight.

One land, one king! That is my peace, Cornwall!
-Uther Pendragon, Excalibur, 1981
I don't get the cognitive dissonance shot. There are plenty of quality products where service or warranty repair is far less than stellar. If you don't realize this, you're lucky or need to get out more. It's common. ZL told me $15 and 4 months. I've also read on different forums about lights being shipped, and lost in transit. Call it anecdotal or anecdata, I'm only going on the information available to me.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
well... so far you have one option. if you find a suitable replacement lens, you have another one.