The Official Zebralight Thread .

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Can someone comment on the size of the sc5 vs the sc52?

If you go to Youtube and search Zebralight SC5, the reviews near the top from CPFSelfbuilt and WeAllJuggleKnives show the size comparison between the SC5 and SC52....

roger-roger

Enlightened
No joy on the arrival of the SC62w--hopefully Mon.

I'll have to say the more I read of others' experiences, the more nervous I get about whether I'll be happy with the color tone on the particular SC600w MKIII I receive. Cool white is the safer bet, but it wouldn't be my first choice all things considered.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say that I am very happy with my SC5w. This may very well be the best zebralight they've ever made.

Zebralight, if you're listening.....A 2xAA version of this would be awesome.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I use my SC52w the more convinced I am that it is the perfect EDC light for me. I'm gonna be spending my summer working in the backcountry at Philmont Scout Ranch and I think I'll be taking my SC52w and H502pr as my light sources. They're super light and AAs are easy to scavenge if necessary.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I must say that I am very happy with my SC5w. This may very well be the best zebralight they've ever made.

I haven't received mine yet.. Hopefully tomorrow...

Glad to hear you're enjoying yours...

recDNA

Flashaholic

Very good point. A 2 x AA version would really be easier to handle than my sc32w.

roger-roger

Enlightened

In comparison to the SC62 it would be about 1.25" longer, and about the same thickness. It would still be outclassed in terms of light performance.

That would be a configuration I'd be interested in. It's advantage for my personal needs would be its ability to use primary AA's, in situations where that would be useful.

markr6

Flashaholic
I thinned out my Zebralight herd. Actually, the SC5w OP went to roger-roger above. He's in for a real treat; that tint was he best of the best! But I just didn't use it since I'm pretty much an 18650 user exclusively. Also sold my SC600w II L2 to make room for the upcoming SC600 Plus, but that could have been a mistake...we'll see. And the MKIII HI is just so impressive, I use that for just about every application I can think of. GET IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 lights are great for around the house when a recharger is readily available, but there are many situations where a AA battery source is more convenient. I like to have both.

markr6

Flashaholic
18650 lights are great for around the house when a recharger is readily available, but there are many situations where a AA battery source is more convenient. I like to have both.

I thought this, but after a couple years I just haven't ran into a single need other than running with my H52w. I understand everyone is different though. I use the same philosophy when backpacking...if there's something I don't use after a long time, it's out (except emergency, first aid, of course)

I always carry a small, single 18650 charger with me. At 1amp, it can get the job done pretty quick.

roger-roger

Enlightened
The SC62w in my possession checks out fine as far as I can tell--both aesthetically and for the short term, functionally.

Relying on selfbuilt's review I've been able to master the basic functions, including a reliable switch on to Low. The *tactile* and especially *audible* characteristics of the switch help much for the latter, as I use rhythm/tempo of the downstroke/upstroke of the click to complete the .6 sec hold into Low.

No doubt I'll have to relearn the timing to switch into Low when I come back to the SC62W tonight and for a while after, but its muscle memory and beat timing. With enough use it can become instinctual.

So right now I can easily get into Low/Medium/High, and what I think are two of their sub-levels (hopefully the right term). Strobe and its four sub-levels, and battery test.

I have an idea, but still not completely sure which of what I'm getting below--yet.

High: H1 1000 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 620 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 350 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 160 Lm (11 hrs) - Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs) - Low: L1 3.7 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.4 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)

At this point from where I'm standing experience-wise (zilch) with ZL, this SC62w has set the bar pretty high for my expectations of the four other ZebraLights I have coming in. :O)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have such an itchy trigger finger to go for the Mark III 5700k model. My lab is about 11m x 11m and I wonder if it would brightly light the entire area. The sc62w looks kind of dim in such a big space even on H1. It is good enough but not dazzling.

I feel like the fool, however, with a HI CRI model due this fall that may blow away the Mark III... But I have an itchy trigger finger!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have such an itchy trigger finger to go for the Mark III 5700k model. My lab is about 11m x 11m and I wonder if it would brightly light the entire area. The sc62w looks kind of dim in such a big space even on H1. It is good enough but not dazzling.

I feel like the fool, however, with a HI CRI model due this fall that may blow away the Mark III... But I have an itchy trigger finger!

Why not the MK3 HI version? It'll have a little warmer tint and extra throw! Waiting for the next ZL to come out is agonizing, I'm hoping they don't have any delays!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Why not the MK3 HI version? It'll have a little warmer tint and extra throw! Waiting for the next ZL to come out is agonizing, I'm hoping they don't have any delays!
Don't want throw in the lab. Want room illumination not a spot. I have an MH20GT in my jacket for throw. I might be better off with a triple Sinner but the ZL is a lot cheaper.

I actually like 5700k. It is a lot warmer than our fluorescent lighting. I just don't know if the difference between the MKIII and the 62w will be that noticeable unless you try one immediately after the other.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Received my SC5w yesterday. Quite pleased with it... Great build quality, excellent tint & beam profile.. I really like the Zebralight UI... I've got my High mode set to the lowest 107 lumen sublevel to extend battery life - and I like that I can easily switch to the highest output mode with a simple double-click... The default Medium mode (45 lumens) is sufficient for most applications and there is a long runtime (8 hours) in this mode which is great...