The Official Zebralight Thread .

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried lithium primaries in the SC5xx lights, but with somewhat old eneloop pros I rarely see more than 2 flashes from the battery check in the SC5c II and SC53c. Many of them also can't keep up with H1 on the SC5c II even when freshly-charged, as it's simply asking for a lot of current from the poor little batteries. ;) (For this reason, I kinda think the SC53x lights just make a lot more sense even though the specs aren't as impressive as the SC5x II.)

That being said, I would be surprised if a fresh lithium AA couldn't achieve H1 for any length of time. And eneloop pros have higher self-discharge than regular eneloops, but they shouldn't die that fast.

To reply both, I have an SC5w II, and asked the manufacturer regarding Energizer lithiums. They stated that I would not be able to get max output, due to max current limit of Energizer (2.5A continuous, 4A burst). Thus why I don't use those, but Eneloop Pro instead.
I've had the light EPro go from 3 flashes to 1 flash within a day, without even using it. However, the batteries are freshly bought, and I haven't charged them. The ones that were charged seem to hold up when not used. This is a consuming little light when using it, drains EPros faster than I expected. However, this could be just my subjectivity.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
To reply both, I have an SC5w II, and asked the manufacturer regarding Energizer lithiums. They stated that I would not be able to get max output, due to max current limit of Energizer (2.5A continuous, 4A burst). Thus why I don't use those, but Eneloop Pro instead.
I've had the light EPro go from 3 flashes to 1 flash within a day, without even using it. However, the batteries are freshly bought, and I haven't charged them. The ones that were charged seem to hold up when not used. This is a consuming little light when using it, drains EPros faster than I expected. However, this could be just my subjectivity.

Don't believe the flashes. I find they're almost random, except right after I put in a fresh Eneloop (they always give 4 flashes then).

There's almost no parasitic drain in the SC5, so your Eneloops will not drain in the light. If the battery is dead after a week, then either you've used the light a fair bit, or your battery is bad, or there's something wrong with the light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Someone mentioned another name brand battery at Mtn electronics they liked better than the GA. Anybody remember the suggestion?

BTW, I just received a new GA with my new sc64. It doesn't say Sanyo nor GA anywhere on the battery. Is this normal?

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Someone mentioned another name brand battery at Mtn electronics they liked better than the GA. Anybody remember the suggestion?

BTW, I just received a new GA with my new sc64. It doesn't say Sanyo nor GA anywhere on the battery. Is this normal?

The ones I have are all red with a barely readable text on it, doesn't say Sanyo

markr6

Flashaholic

Yes that's normal. Sometimes the plain Sanyo/Panasonic or any brand for that matter may come with the clear label if a re-seller puts it on just to identify the mAh and voltage. Never from the factory though

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, the plain Sanyo/Panasonic or any brand for that matter may come with the clear label if a re-seller puts it on. Never from the factory
I don't know what clear label means. Mine is all red with writing in black.

markr6

Flashaholic
nevermind...I think some do have writing from the mfg now

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
This is what mine looks like. Came direct from Zebralight.
ad6ccedd84da62435512c58747ae8ffa.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah that's what I was talking about. Just a clear label with plain black font. Not from the manufacturer, just something sellers put on to help out and keep things straight.

If it were printed on the red wrapper itself, Panasonic/Sanyo did it. Much like the older cells like NCR18650A...B...and so on. Not sure why but the newer GA's only recently started getting the printing. liionwholesale has a photo on their site of this. Maybe just the "made in china" cells? I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Several other cells will fit. I recommend the Sony VTC6 or Samsung 30Q if you want a higher discharge cell and if you want something similar to the GA then the LG MJ1 or Samsung 35E.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks! I'm disappointed in my sc64. H1 is super bright but H2 should still be brighter than H1 on my sc62w. It isn't. Not even close. H1 on sc62w is brighter than H2 on sc64. Kind of defeats the purpose of my purchase since I planned to use H2 as my bright mode.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I'm disappointed in my sc64. H1 is super bright but H2 should still be brighter than H1 on my sc62w. It isn't. Not even close. H1 on sc62w is brighter than H2 on sc64. Kind of defeats the purpose of my purchase since I planned to use H2 as my bright mode.
How is the tint on your sample of the CW?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Not like the old days when cw meant blue or green. I like the white tint. I'm just mad H2 not over 1000 lumens as advertised unless the sc62w has more lumens in H1 than advertised. Something wrong somewhere.