The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone do a lux at 1 meter reading of the new 320 lumen version of these lights?

Thanks,
Robert

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my 320 lumen G2X pro today and the LED is not a XP-G or XP-G2 for sure. It physically looks like a Nichia 219. The tint is definitely nichia 219! That's to say it is in the 4500K range. I am quite surprised by this. The light is awesome.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 320 Lu models don't use an XPG2. Comparing it to the XPG2 Malkoff drop-in I have, the 320Lu SF's LED is a bit bigger, both in mount and the actual LED.

The beam is more floody and not as focused. I prefer the 200LU version, as it isn't washed out as much in ambient lighting.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 320 Lu models don't use an XPG2. Comparing it to the XPG2 Malkoff drop-in I have, the 320Lu SF's LED is a bit bigger, both in mount and the actual LED.

The beam is more floody and not as focused. I prefer the 200LU version, as it isn't washed out as much in ambient lighting.

I'm about 98% sure the 320 lumen models are Nichia. And I'm pretty sure it's a 219 which means it's high CRI 4500K tint. warmer tints do tend to wash out more in ambient light just because they are so similar to the ambient light. I am very very pleased with my new G2X Pro. It's sufficiently bright, not a ton of spill in the beam but then again I am comparing it to my P2X Fury and that thing is just an all out boom stick in both throw and spill. I've been a neutral tint snob for a long time now but just recently started telling myself to get over it. I am really surprised at the quality of light that the G2X produces as if I haven't said it 100 times already. I'm loving these new X series Surefire's. Lot's of bang for your buck and backed by the best CS in the business.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Wow, what an amazing upgrade for Surefire to find it really is a Nichia emitter. It's almost like they might've been hanging around here on CPF.

Are there any other differences you notice? Perhaps a glass lens this time instead of polycarbonate?:devil:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, what an amazing upgrade for Surefire to find it really is a Nichia emitter. It's almost like they might've been hanging around here on CPF.

Are there any other differences you notice? Perhaps a glass lens this time instead of polycarbonate?:devil:

I don't have a ton of experience with Surefire but when I tap the window with my fingernail it don't sound polycarbonate? I'm not sure? I'll get some good pics up later today showing the LED and a side by side with the Fury to show the tint color difference.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so my picture taking skills leave a lot to be desired but you guys be the judge. If you look at the LED in my light and the photo taken from Nichia you'll see a little black arrow in one corner of both. also there is a little square wire thingy off one side of the dome you can make it out in my pic and see it to the upper left in the product pic. The only thing is my light picture you can't see the little dots on each side. I can't physically see them with my naked eye either and all the Nichia pics show these dots? The Tint shot isn't wholly accurate but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

LED Shot
002-12.jpg

Photo of a Nichia 219 varient
NCSW119A.jpg

G2X Left - P2X Fury Right. Both on high. The wall is a manilla white color
001-14.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
@JWRitchie76, doesn't look anything like the Nichia. It looks more like the Cree XP-G2 in there. Try googling for the pict.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an XP-G2, which has a square mark on the corner (not a triangle). There's also no bump next to the dome on the other side of the mark.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an XP-G2, which has a square mark on the corner (not a triangle). There's also no bump next to the dome on the other side of the mark.
I have been looking at my Quark XP-G2 and it looks quite similar but I may be wrong. Btw Robin, with your close connection with Surefire, is there no way they could divulge some info to you?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks similar, but if you use a magnifying glass, you can see that the cathode mark on the XP-G2 is a square.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
@JWRitchie76, doesn't look anything like the Nichia. It looks more like the Cree XP-G2 in there. Try googling for the pict.

Yea I did. All I can say is that you and I see things differently. Clearly both the stock pic of the Nichia and the LED in my light have a triangle shape in the corner and both have that little square thingy in the corner next to the dome. I've had enough lights modded to XP-G2 and Nichia 219 that I can confidently say also that the dome looks nothing like Cree XP-G or G2 but identical to Nichia. These are just my observations and I am definitely not the authority but I'd bet large it's not Cree.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting picture. I originally assumed it would be an XP-G2 upgrade, but that picture shows that it clearly isn't an XP-G2.

It does certainly look like a Nichia, but I don't think it can be a 219 simply due to it's efficiency. The phosphor doesn't appear to be the deep orange of the 92 CRI 219 either.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that's it. Are you sure it has 2x the efficiency? It seems to be rated at 700ma as opposed to 350ma for the 219A which could account for some of the massive increase in lumen rating, though there is a 25-30% increase in efficiency on top of that from the 92 CRI 219A-H1 that we are familiar with, to the 73 CRI 119B (R70), which seems about right.