The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

SMGUNSHOP

Newly Enlightened
hello we just received our first 6 of these and I am very impressed with the latest from SUREFIRE.
the light is extremely bright towards the center and fades away towards the outer edges.
the 15 lumen setting is a great idea. :thumbsup:

w00tb0t

Newly Enlightened
I just picked mine up this morning from a Surefire dealer and have been playing with it all day.

First impressions are great, its 5.4" and doesn't have a problem with bump changing. The light itself is sturdy feeling, with nothing rattling about.

The reflector is a light orange peel and it gets warm rather quickly.

At 5' on High (500 lumens) I get a nice 1.5' bright spot and a spread of about 10'
This light floods a room or a field nicely. I have not gone out and played with its throw to much, but it can hit trees about 200 yards off noticeably at dusk

Although the head/lens does look like it can be unscrewed it is glued on.

Ill post some beam shots tomorrow when I have had some more time to play with the light.

Craig K

Enlightened
I confess that I am most interested in your last sentence - since you are stating that the lens on the SF P2X-B scratches up too easily, that means that you have experienced this with the light, am I correct? :ironic:

BTW I've been using an older lexan-lens SF C2 modestly over the past ~18 months and it doesn't have a single scratch on it yet. :shrug:
Since I own it & use it, I do feel as though I can comment on it to a certain degree.

Edit: Not trying to go OT, just commenting on the comparable Lexan lens in my old C2.

Ive owned the new Surefire Z2X CombatLight and after just 4 weeks of normal use I noticed a couple of small scratches on the lens I then wiped the lens with a clean soft cloth and after I wiped it the lens got scratched up even more just from a soft cloth.

The SF P2X-B is using the same plastic lens as the Z2X uses,.... so I have experienced this lens.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets talk about the output
500 surefire lm is exciting
but if it throws 15000lux or more, it would be even more fascinating

SunStar

Enlightened
For those that prefer the glass lens / window, have we identified an aftermarket option already available that can replace the OEM plastic?

Ive owned the new Surefire Z2X CombatLight and after just 4 weeks of normal use I noticed a couple of small scratches on the lens I then wiped the lens with a clean soft cloth and after I wiped it the lens got scratched up even more just from a soft cloth.

The SF P2X-B is using the same plastic lens as the Z2X uses,.... so I have experienced this lens.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my G2x also scratched up lightly but very easily from cleaning gently with a cloth. It didn't noticably affect the beam at all, but over time (and surefires are meant to 'last a lifetime') probably would build up and up in serious use until it'll be like a diffuser lense or need replacing.

I am expecting the circuit to be very efficient however, the G2x had the most efficient circuit I've ever experienced.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
If you want to avoid fine scratches on polycarbonate lenses, wet the lense w/ water or lense cleaner (if possible). This removes dirt particles or at least breaks it down. I wear prescription safety glasses at work and my eye doctor recommended that I not to wipe my glasses w/ a dry cloth for this reason. They only told me this after my third pair.

naked2

Enlightened
Damn doctors!
I have two teardrop E bezels I've replaced with newer hex/Pyrex ones due to such excessive scratching (as a bonus I got anti-rolling for clipless use on the old round bodies); so for me, here are the 3 strikes for not buying this:

1. Plastic lens.
2. I personally don't care for lights (or drop-in modules, for that matter!) that require button-presses to change modes.
3. No Lego ability.

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
[...]
1. Plastic lens.
2. I personally don't care for lights (or drop-in modules, for that matter!) that require button-presses to change modes.
3. No Lego ability.

4. no chance to disassemble and replace defective parts without sending it in (read: it is glued together)

Now, today I got my second G2X Tactical. But honestly, for 55 Euro retail it is what I consider a budget light so I can live with those points. Good thing the 6P is still available.

Cheers
Thorsten

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider glue a formidable foe :), but a voided warranty...

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked mine up this morning from a Surefire dealer and have been playing with it all day.

First impressions are great, its 5.4" and doesn't have a problem with bump changing. The light itself is sturdy feeling, with nothing rattling about.

The reflector is a light orange peel and it gets warm rather quickly.

At 5' on High (500 lumens) I get a nice 1.5' bright spot and a spread of about 10'
This light floods a room or a field nicely. I have not gone out and played with its throw to much, but it can hit trees about 200 yards off noticeably at dusk

Although the head/lens does look like it can be unscrewed it is glued on.

Ill post some beam shots tomorrow when I have had some more time to play with the light.

How is the beam tint?

w00tb0t

Newly Enlightened
My Fury with authentic battle damage on the tail cap. Dropped it from chest height while running on concrete.

fury.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire uses a conformal coating for its electronics so bare would seem inaccurate.

Your feeling of unease (?) more likely results in your lack of faith in SureFire's ability to engineer a robust reliable battery contact directly onto the PCB without an intermediate assembly between the PCB and the battery.
The example to support SureFire's method that first comes to mind is the X300 type handgun WeaponLights.

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
I will refer to your knowledge if you tell me that some (obviously clear and invisible) coating will protect circuit boards from the physical damage of recoil against batteries when the light is weapon mounted.

I routinely remove batteries with flattened positive ends from shotgun weaponlights. Suffice it to say, I get a little antsy about the 6Px and G2x when I look down the tube and see what appears to be PCB with no physical barrier between it and the batteries.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Size15s may be able to provide more insight, but I recall reading somewhere that the 6PX and G2X are not intended to be used as weapon lights.

Update: Did some more searching, can't find any specific prohibitions or approvals, but many people on the gun forms report using them successfully (but on long rifles, not shotguns).

Last edited:

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, they are getting used a lot lately on everything from ARs to shotguns. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. I've learned from experience that people don't always actually USE this stuff. They take pictures, they show it off, they pop a few rounds off standing stationary, square to the target at the range, then it goes by the bed or in the safe.

That's like momentary tail cap shotgun lights. Anybody know how painful of a setup that really is? You see them everywhere, but you never hear anybody say anything about them jamming your thumb into your wrist.

Last edited: