• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The total awesomeness of the MAKAI

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of fact I do prefer the Makai design over teardrops, no matter what financial impact it might have or not !

easilyled

Flashaholic
Aesthetics is subjective but for what its worth, I also prefer the fact that the flutes on this head are not of the tear-drop variety.
I will find it difficult not to succumb when the wave for the 1250ma version breaks.

fourdogs

Newly Enlightened
It always amaze me how some can write a pretty long post yet at the end of it you still wonder what the point is :confused:

Is it safe to return :sssh: There really was no point. Actually I thought the post would never make it to print. I was just in the mood to pontificate whatever came into my head at the moment ( shouldn't have had that last beer ) Not the best way to make an entrance I think. I have all the respect in the world for Don's lights. I think the Makai is an evolution of the ever changing present. I think it's about time we had a thrower, but in my minds eye Don shines ( no pun intended ) making small jewels that offer great utility which are intrinsically important. Oh, wait, he's already made those, so why not an intrinsically important thrower named Makai, and yes it is art. If it could be fitted to my PD I would buy one, and the Haiku is simply brilliant. Too bad I don't have the funds to further my collection ( if I had a collection ) One light is honestly all I need. I'm very glad I bought the LS27. It's a joy to use, and the light quality is superb for it's intended use. Thank you Don.

Honestly guys, had I believed my initial post would make it to print I would have worded it differently. I honestly meant no harm. Oh, well....life goes on hopefully just like the wonderful jewels that Don creates.
:wave:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Honestly guys, had I believed my initial post would make it to print ......

Why would you have had doubts that it would be posted? This board is moderated with a velvet glove, not an iron fist.

Opinions are allowed to be expressed. The fact that your opinion appears to have been in a minority of one doesn't change that.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't resist - I gotta weigh in. My posts have pointed out with great enthusiasm how much I love Don's lights. Oddly, I never really think that much about the artistic side of it - but always feel that the lights are beautiful.

I think the huge appeal to me, outside of the obvious utility, is the fact that there are still craftsmen, entrepreneurs, visionaries (yes, I really believe that visionary describes this work) who can 'make it' in this world and do so by creating amazing products/devices that stand the test of time. With all due respect to all the great members all over the world, the fact that Don, Dave, Scott, Henry and others are American appeals to me as well. There's a real satisfaction in buying and owning a product such as the ones that Don and the other custom builders (don't mean to exclude any of them - they are all great) create.

Also, what has appealed to me is Don's marketing position - he KNOWS what he likes and builds lights to those specifications, then offers it up to the forum and you witness what I have said before,"... when McGizmo launches a new light, we clamor around like feeding time at the zoo." If you like it and want to buy it, great. If not, that's okay, too.

And this forum allows everyone to have an opinion, yet I've never witnessed hostility. Oh, sure - a strong opinion might elicit strong reactions, but that's half the fun of the forum.

At the end of the day, I'll borrow from an older post of my own once again, "I have still discovered a remarkable pleasure and satisfaction in the 'KISS' philosophy of flashaholism. All the concerns about lumens, blah blah, pale in comparison to the satisfaction of owning a simple, durable tool that just plain works - every time you need it.

Don's lights do that better - at least for me - than most of the others I've tried or use."

Oh, and I LOVE my Makai!

And welcome Fourdogs - that's one heckuva light you own!!:thumbsup::welcome:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
:) thanks Don...courtesy of Lisantica! I officially snagged the first known Makai to hit the secondary market!

Finally there comes the head that fits this body perfectly. This combo is really nice !!!! :thumbsup: Best looking head on the pineapple I have seen today.
bernie

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a long wait I finally got my Makai and 2x123 pak :faint:
The large front sapphire glass and reflector are both impressive pieces.

The machining is beautifull and, as far as I can tell, perfect. Me like sharp cutting tools :grin2:

Time to post some pics soon...

After some use "as is", this one will get bead blasted eventually too.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
alx8985.jpg

alx8990.jpg

alx9003.jpg

alx9039.jpg

alx9047.jpg

alx9048.jpg

alx9065.jpg

I told you it was perfect... :rolleyes:

ibcj

Enlightened
Great pics tino ale ! :twothumbs Can't wait for those 2x123 converters to arrive.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics tino ale ! :twothumbs Can't wait for those 2x123 converters to arrive.

+1!!! :thumbsup:

The Makai looks so much nicer with the 2x123 pak, balanced, that's the real combination, but it needs a buck converter of course...

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW the throw is already impressive at 660mA and my AW 17670 fits in the tube with the label removed.

If you care about runtime you should pull the trigger just now :)