The trouble with elephants (PICS)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great wildlife photos and congrats on not getting trampled in the process. They make black bears seem like a minor problem, bears can break into your car but elephants can flatten you car.

DM51

Flashaholic
Elephants are fine unless you bother them, or if they think you are going to. Even then, they give you plenty of body-language before doing anything serious about it - ear-display, head-up, trumpeting, staring, that sort of thing. Even someone who hasn't seen that before can easily tell when they are getting annoyed. The final warning is a mock charge, which believe me is scary.

The only "rogue" elephants are those that have been badly mistreated or attacked by man. You occasionally come across them, and you can tell pretty quickly. Maybe their own relatives have been killed by poachers, or someone stuck a spear in their ***, or something like that. When these see you, they come at you and just keep coming. No mock-charge with them, you can tell straight away that they really mean it. You have to get out of there, FAST!

@ fnmag: Flat dogs / handbags (crocs) are neither mean nor unpleasant. They will just eat you if you go in the water or too near them. There's no malice in it - you are just food. Although the species is millions of years old, the last of the dinosaurs, they are highly intelligent, and very crafty.

Hippos are bad-tempered and mean. They look clumsy and lumbering, but they are FAST. They have huge jaws, and will bite a canoe in half if it goes too near them. They kill a lot of people. Don't get between a hippo and where it wants to go. A guy I know moored his fishing boat on the river bank and a hippo just decided to sink it, because it was in its way. He had to dive down 12 ft to get it back (very risky) then strip down the engine and all the other stuff to get it working again. All because the boat was where the hippo wanted to get out of the water.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
These are great photos. I wish I had the nerve for this sort of photography. Photos like these are what you will show your grand-children.

They also remind me that I haven't called my mother-in-law for a while.

soapy

Newly Enlightened
z96Cobra said:
Photoshopped...
I agree. That one with the giant elephant sized flashlight in it is the obvious one. It's, like, the size of a tree! :tinfoil:

Seriously, sweet pictures. In the UK the most dangerous thing in the countryside, aside from lost Chavs, is treading on a slug and slipping over.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
-saw the link to here in your sig from another thread, and just wanted to say, "awesome pics, and thank's for sharing!"

Gaffle

Enlightened
Now this is where flashaholism would be an advantage.

Throw on strobe and attempt to disorientate the elephant (bad vision so the strobe would work in daylight). Then once he is all dizzy, get a big stick and put on a clobbering.

I bet that bull would stay away from the campsite after that! I know I would!;)

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, Gaffle! I think it would go something like this:

Ladieeeeeeeees & Gentlemeeeeeeeen: In the red corner, weighing in at 6 tons, the large and hitherto reasonably placid... buuuuull elephant!

And in the blue corner: the challenger, armed with a P1D-CE on strobe and a pointed stick, weighing in at 150 lbs soaking wet, yes folks, it's CPFerrrrrrrrrr... Gaffle!

Seconds out (everyone run away quick, lol) 1st - and last - round...

Martin

Enlightened
Finally an elephant thread ! Thanks !
I find not all elephants are alike. While in Sumatera people go extremely nervous when elephants are around (the advice was to never attempt to shoot one alone, you need to be 3 gunners standing in a triangle, one mistake and all 3 die), the Thai have domesticated them and I was surprised how well they behave not only in the countryside, but even in dense traffic of a busy city.

Indeed, elephants are extremely difficult to spot due to their size and color. In Bangkok they carry bicycle tail lamps on their tails.

In M'sia I was told it's safe to stay in the car at some distance, if wild elephants are crossing the road. Hmm. Couldn't they easily flatten a car ?

An Indonesia friend ones adviced me that if encountering an elephant in the forest, it's best to pretend being dead. A brother of his did, the elephant carefully rolled him around and tickled his belly, eventually just left him there and walked on. I wonder if this method would work reliably.

Here's a few more elephant stories from the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum.

Last edited: