The whine top 10

Yavox

Enlightened
Worst is our Yorkshire Terrier at the unearthly hour of 0800hrs ... I'm retired and shouldn't be awake at that time ... It's almost night-time ... He should have had an extra long Pee the night before.

Second worst is my Wife , if I don't hear the dog ... She (the wife) is not a morning person till much later ... I really mean much , much later.

Third worst is my Wife , if I put too much milk in her tea in the morning when she eventually comes downstairs ... She only has very weak tea and I tell her that the milk actually makes it darker.

Fourth worst is my Wife when I tell her about the milk ... See third worst for more details.

Fifth worst is my Wife when I explain to her that she has never worked and has only stayed at home having children.

Sixth worst is my Wife after I come home after a Friday night out with the boys ... I realise that it is late , but a man has his needs.

Seventh worst is my Wife 'cos on a Friday night the boys all go to an Indian restaurant afterwards for a hot curry and another few beers ... I mean after the few beers not after "a mans needs".

Eighth worst is my Wife on a Saturday morning when she finds a trail of my clothing stretching from the front door to the bedside ... Usually via the bathroom ... Can't understand this 'cos all she has to do is pick them up and put them in the laundry basket.

Ninth worst is my Wife when she mentions the toilet seat being left up ... I go more than she does , so I should get the vote on this.

Tenth worst is my Wife , for no particular reason.

p.s. When you get to my age (72) you actually wish you could hear your torch whine ! ... That would at least be a different sort of whine !

p.p.s. When I say "Wife" , I include all of them (mine) ... I suppose that it is part of the make-up of a Wife ... Strangely , girlfriends aren't like this till they become Wives ... I think that the tollerance gene is programmed to alter after marriage.

Must be the Wife 'cos I've never changed.

One of my lights whines on IMRs only and does not make any sound when loaded with normal batteries. Maybe your wife is overcharged??? I would slow down a bit if I were you, because it may result in a :poof:...

:D

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
great thread, i want to avoid this phenomenon.

My loudest whiners from worst to best...

-Wife
-Daughter
-55W HID-DIY
-Stanley 35W HID
-Xtar D30
-DX-MCE drop in
-Son
-Me
-SF-M2 incan

so what makes these whine, espeically the m2? i just assumed a basic incan would not. any clue why an m2 would but not for instance a 6p or even A2? i don't hear it in any of mine. any rhyme or reason to it, or guidelines to avoiding models that have it.

assuming mine aren't doing it & i just can't hear it, but i am usually sensitive to this stuff. there is a security video monitor at work i have to turn off because it makes a high pitched tone that drives me crazy, other people don't notice.

ASheep

Enlightened
Nitecore SR3 whines on several of the middle modes, but not on the lower or higher modes. It's the worst of the lights I own, but maybe I just dont have whiney lights :D

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yep, SR3 on a few mid modes.

Definately TK20 on high, as well as Nitecore EX10 SP on mid mode.

DX MC-E module.

Quark mini AA, sometimes.

Could someone explain why they whine on high with no pwm?

computernut

Enlightened
I personally hate whine, reminds me of the later Palm PDA's which I couldn't bear to use:
- Fenix TK20 on high
- Nitecore D10 SP R2 on low & med
- Surefire A2 4-sided with FM Strion Adapter (newer 3-sided doesn't)

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I was screening my flashlight for inductor whine again.

I also tried to "listen" their electromagnetic whine. I turned on an AM radio, and tuned it where there were no broadcasts. I switched on the lights close to the internal ferrite antenna, listening the most disparate melodies.

It is incredible how many of our LED flashlights "sings" in the low frequency portion of the radio spectrum!

Basically, only resistored LED lights do not emanate radiofrequency.

Anthony

RoBeacon

Enlightened
My Quark AA2 R5 whines when on max. It's only audible when an inch or two away from your head though

Colorblinded

Enlightened
My wifes LD01 is fairly audible on the lowest setting.
LD01 is definitely a whiner.
On med and low my LD01 definitely whines but it's not really noticeable in day-to-day use (ie it's not within a foot of my ears). I'm very sensitive to whiny electronics but since it's not notable from a distance it has never bothered me.

My Quark AA2 R5 whines when on max. It's only audible when an inch or two away from your head though
Interesting, mine is silent. Is yours a regular or a tactical? Mine is the most recent limited warm AA2 so it has the tactical circuit. I'm receiving my neutral AA2 with the normal interface on Monday hopefully, I'll be checking it for any noises.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
riiiiiight... sure you're not higher on the list? :naughty:

I'm NOT.... I' not I'm not I'm not !!!

:p

On a more serious note, Inductor/circuit whine kind of bugs me. Hypothetically, can it be stopped if I open up the light and coat the circuit in a layer of epoxy?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the lights I have, Nitecore, Fenix, Surefire, HDS Ra, the only one that whines is the LX2 from Surefire.

But it only whines ever so mildly when I depress the tail cap for max power. When I tighten the tail cap down for max it doesn't whine. Doesn't bug me though.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A1 whines noticeably on Medium, low/high seems fine, but the medium whine is a bit annoying.

Quark AA (regular not mini) has been totally silent on any mode as are all my other multi-mode lights (Ultrafire bodies with various emitters)

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A1 whines noticeably on Medium, low/high seems fine, but the medium whine is a bit annoying.

Quark AA (regular not mini) has been totally silent on any mode as are all my other multi-mode lights (Ultrafire bodies with various emitters)
Just checked my A1 , A2 and A3 for whining ... I listened with a stethoscope as well as putting the torches to my ear ... Nothing was heard ... Could be my 72 year old ears though , but I can hear everything as usual (I think).

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
football - E2DL 200 lumens
RRT-0
food and icecream
wife

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only light I've got here which whines at all is an SF L2 (Old Lux V model, SN A01671) whines very, very quietly on low - getting louder just before the batteries die - useful indicator that!

...For all I think I've replaced them about twice in the time I've had it!

Osram Dulux Mini chirps quite loudly while starting up...but it's a little battery powered fluorescent, so we expect that. It also succeeds in wiping out AM radio reception for about 2 metres in any direction while switched on too...

Last edited: