Thinking of buying a MagCharger

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Failing the introduction of an official LED Magcharger, I cannot see anything more suitable for my needs. Sure there are brighter and "better" beams from people like Surefire etc which is great on a wall but makes a debatable difference in the real world. However these also work on considerably more expensive both in initial outlay and running costs (DL123A Batteries...!), whilst others are rip-offs and Mag have taken the guilty parties to court AND WON.

I own a few Maglites, and more than a few Surefires. Oh yes, they definitely do make a difference in the real world. If they didn't, would the U.S. military issue them to certain specialized units? I doubt it.

As far as the cells are concerned, a Duracell CR123 cell costs about $8 from a B&M shop. You can get the same battery for about $2 from many online shops.

Not all of Maglite's other competitors are rip-off artists. And the rather sue-happy owner of Maglite has not won every lawsuit he has filed.

I cannot rate Maglites highly enough and the Magcharger is still the very best they have to offer.

The MagCharger is indeed the company's top-of-the-line model. Personally, I've had three Maglites fail on me. One was a 3D model that literally fell apart in my hands while I was checking to see if it needed fresh batteries or a new bulb.

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom, I'm perfectly OK with Surefire, but you have to bear in mind that the cost of DL123A batteries in the UK is somewhat more than the cost in the US, especially if you are walking into a High St store-like I did when I paid the best part of 16.00 GBP for TWO when my Leica Minilux suddenly ran out of power. As Boots were the only stockist in the centre of Lincoln, UK, I didn't have much choice.

OK granted that Surefire have a well deserved reputation in the US Forces but again it comes down to higher cost and higher running costs. There is always something better in this life-the trick is to get your purchase right first time.

I'm surprised your Maglite 3D failed so dramatically. Did you return it to Mag Instruments for replacement?

Richard N, my latest MagCharger Version 3 was purchased on eBay for less than 70.00 GBP inc delivery and in perfect condition.

So IMHO, it's the way to go especially if your local supplier has to order it at twice the price.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom, I'm perfectly OK with Surefire, but you have to bear in mind that the cost of DL123A batteries in the UK is somewhat more than the cost in the US, especially if you are walking into a High St store-like I did when I paid the best part of 16.00 GBP for TWO when my Leica Minilux suddenly ran out of power. As Boots were the only stockist in the centre of Lincoln, UK, I didn't have much choice.

I know it seems strange to many folks to buy batteries online, but there really is a significant savings involved. True, I don't know how much the duties would be once an order of cells arrives into the UK. But prices in the UK are generally higher for all lights. A 3D Maglite model is about $21 here, and I've heard that $100 is about average for one in the UK.

OK granted that Surefire have a well deserved reputation in the US Forces but again it comes down to higher cost and higher running costs. There is always something better in this life-the trick is to get your purchase right first time.

I'll admit I've bought a few lights I regret. But I think a lot of CPFers have done so as well. Experience & knowledge are often lacking when trying to get the right flashlight right off the bat.

I'm surprised your Maglite 3D failed so dramatically. Did you return it to Mag Instruments for replacement?

No. I was so amazed and angry that I just threw the pieces into the trash. At the time, I wasn't into lights. I just thought it would be a good idea to own a couple of them. My other one was a cheap GE model. (Cost me $1.99). I picked it out of a barrel full of them from an all-night, somewhat rundown, convenience store. The clerk behind the counter recommended it, and held up the one he uses around the store.

Ironically, the beam was better than on my 3D Maglite. (No matter how much I tried adjusting the beam on my Maglite, that cheap GE model outperformed it). I figured the extra cost of the Maglite was due to its durability, use of aluminum in its construction, and the fact that replacement bulbs were available for it. But that cheap, plastic, disposable, 2D GE light even outlasted that Maglite. I had that GE model for 12 years.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I was thinking of building a 2D ROP, but getting a magcharger and 5761 bulb seems much easier. Does anyone have beamshot comparisons? Also how big is the magcharger compared to the 2D.

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of building a 2D ROP, but getting a magcharger and 5761 bulb seems much easier. Does anyone have beamshot comparisons? Also how big is the magcharger compared to the 2D.

Magcharger is basically a 3D length light almost to the mm. You will need more than just the 5761 bulb though to make the light truly useful. You would need to upgrade the bulb holder (slug) to a ceramic one for sure, and a new reflector isn't a bad idea either. With those items you have a light that runs half as long as the ROP, is bigger, the light itself costs about 5 times as much versus a 2D also. Not trying to discourage you, my MC 5761 rocks! Just a little more on the pricey side than the other option you mentioned. If you truly want to do the magcharger, check out fivemega's threads on reflectors and ceramic slugs. They are top notch quality items sure to make you really enjoy that mag. Another good idea when going that route is to get you an upgraded battery pack, battery junction has one for about 25 bucks if I remember. It's 3500 mah versus the stock 2600 mah, so about 30% more capacity.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting a Mag 85, but I have a MC lying around. I am familiar with the ROP, and Mag 85 beams. Can someone tell me how the MC with a 5761 compares? If it is close, I may go this route.
Thanks

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never built a Mag85 but I can tell you a MC5761 will beat a ROP Low and nearly match a ROP High in flood.It will absolutely destroy both when it comes to throw!!!(large head=throw)

The only hand held light I have ever seen beat a MagCharger with a Phillips 5761 bulb in throw is a Deree DBS Aspherical.A stock DBS Q5 (once the king of throwers) gets a good spanking in every category you can think of.