Thoughts on zebras

BCGarrick

Newly Enlightened
What is the general consensus on a zebra SC51?

Any good? Decent for an EDC light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scout24

Flashaholic
I have an sc51w, and really like it. Size is good, output is great on an Eneloop or Energizer Lithium, beam and tint are both very nice. UI is intuitive once you use it a bit, good solid light for the money. My $.02 of course... :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the beam, runtime, levels, ruggedness but the UI is not my most favorite. The UI is flexible and pretty easy to get used to but it always seems to have a touch of awkward to it.

grahamtdi

Newly Enlightened
Its my favourite edc,bright and easy to use and carry,very good quality .Highly reccomended.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I started carrying the SC51 this week. I usually wear Dockers and a button down shirt and a tie. The SC51 sits on my belt and looks kind of nice in its goldish color. As others have said, the beam and runtime are great. The UI actually works well, and it's only the second UI I've ever seen that gives you instant, one-handed access to both a low and high mode (the other UI is Surefire's tactical tailcap UI).

The gold color of the SC51 was odd to me at first, but since I started wearing it on my belt to work I appreciate it. Black would look too conspicuous and make it look out of place. Gold looks very 'executive'.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one this week after long debating with myself on whether or not I needed another EDC. Well, after just a few days this is clearly the best EDC I've had so far. The UI was odd to me at first but now I really appreciate how much thought went into it so as to make it really versatile with one hand (take note 4Sevens). You can access all modes in less than one second and either high or low instantly from off.

I have one gripe though, there's nowhere to put a split ring, but that's it. The light is an all-round winner in my book and I'm so impressed I'm going to get the H51 to complement it.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my SC51, but then again.....I love all my ZebraLights. The SC51 is a great little EDC that has a great UI and beautiful beam. One of the shortest AA lights I have ever seen, and the clicky on the side of the light just feels natural. Get one! You will not be sorry.

Zlsc51-1.jpg

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a great light. Zebralight has the best UI of any light I've owned. I have an SC30, SC50+, SC51w, SC60, SC60w, and SC600. They are all great lights. Some of my favorites on the market. I will say that I am really starting to take a liking to the beam on the Thrunite Neutron but the UI and build quality of the Zebralight is much better.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have several different models and I love them all. Everything's been said here already. You owe it to yourself to get a couple. The H51fw is my "favorite" headlamp, and for sheer awesomeness, you can't beat the newer SC600. I'll grab the SC600w when it's readily available, oh, and I just got a second SC60w, because I wouldn't want to be without one. EVER. It will be kept new, in the box, in case my other ever craps out on me or I do something stupid, like lose it! The AA models are just incredible with their runtimes and output. GET YA' SOME! :)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me started... Seriously... I will refrain from speaking my mind here...

Ok.. I will a little... :D

I was an early adopter and I really, REALLY liked my first Zebralight... so I bought another... They both started exhibiting the same behavior within 3-4 months. Erratic switching, inconsistent powering on, blinking out unexpectedly, and crazy ridiculous parasitic drain are the reasons why I abandoned the brand... there... I said it... hate me if you will... I speak of my experiences!!!

Shao

bigguy02

Newly Enlightened
I am considering one as a EDC/Backup Light, insted of a Quark AA or AAA mini. I currently use a Quark 123^2, witch I like alot, but love to have options.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me started... Seriously... I will refrain from speaking my mind here...

I was an early adopter and I really, REALLY liked my first Zebralight... so I bought another... They both started exhibiting the same behavior within 3-4 months. Erratic switching, inconsistent powering on, blinking out unexpectedly, and crazy ridiculous parasitic drain are the reasons why I abandoned the brand... there... I said it... hate me if you will... I speak of my experiences!!!

Shao

All those issues have been addressed in subsequent models and no longer exist....:thumbsup:

BCGarrick

Newly Enlightened
I got mine in The mail today and it is WAY smaller then I thought it would be...seems t be bright enough though...gonna try it out tonight and see...

Sent from my iPad

brembo

Enlightened
I *just* got my first ZL in the mail 15 minutes ago. Tossed in a CR123 (SC30) and had at it. Took me...eh 45 seconds to suss out the UI and now I'm kinda angry with myself for ignoring this brand on aesthetics. Playing with the headband right now, think I might order a second silicone rubber holder to put on the band, get that DJ at a rave look going on.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shao

When I have a bad experience, I usually abandon a brand as you have. That said, they are very different now and it may be worth your time to take another look. I've never had a technical issue with any of mine and the parasitic drain is so little now that the batteries will last for 5 to 6 years in a light.