Thrunite Archer 2A XP-G2 ; 1A XP-G2 - new lights

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evening all, new here. A owner of a tk15 but want an EDC light. Looking at this or a older neutron 1c, anyone reviewed or got the archer 1c over the 1a yet? I want a shorter length. It's either this or a quark XML SH cpf I think.

It uses the same head, shorter tube (since CR123) but head and performance should be identical to the 1A.

Archer series compared to the Neutron series, better output and throw.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
For a very brief time, if you clicked on "New Arrivals" at thrunite-store.com there was a drop-down menu offering a choice of cool white or neutral white for the Archer 1A.

That option is now gone. Is the neutral white only temporarily out of stock, or did Thrunite already discontinue it ?

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
brittle o-rings ?

"Thrunite Support"
http://www.thrunite-store.com/forum/showthread.php?10-Thrunite-Support

customer: I've been trying to get in touch with Thrunite Support but they haven't gotten back to me. I need some replacement o-rings for my new Thrunite Archer 1A.

It seems that the o-rings you supplied are so brittle that they break so easily. Or is this a design flaw on the Archer series of flashlights?
Thrunite: Ok.Please kindly contact the store for service!
customer: That's what I did, no response. Could you help?
Thrunite: You can find their online service. sure .they will help you !

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: brittle o-rings ?

I just got my Archer 1A I ordered to be used at work.

The overall build quality seems pretty nice, the clip is very sturdy and the UI is like I expected, really easy to use. I like when you change modes that the light stays on in the previous mode. The beam has a nice spot with a small ring which doesn't really bother me. What I didn't like is that the o-ring of the battery tube is squish outside of dedicated groove if you screw on the tailcape. Maybe I'll try to use some more fluid lube on it. Anyone got the same problem? And there is also the problem that the clip scratches on the head if your unscrew this on but that's not really a problem for me as I will use the tailcape for battery exchange.

So all in all it's a great light in my opinion especially for the task I want to us it for, as tough work-light on a construction site with an easy UI and a SS bezel.

rayman

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archer 1AA group buy

I noticed that Thrunite is offering the Archer 1AA, XP-G2 for $34.40 shipped world wide via their forum in a "group buy". As soon as they get 100 that mention they want one, they will PM you a code to purchase with it.

It's a nice deal but have a question for you guys on the tint. I had bought an Archer 2AA and the beam was very cool white with a touch of too much blue for me. I've seen other XP-G2's (like the one I got from EagleTac) and its a nice pure white...............so with this price I'm tempted again but would like to see what you guys that have one of these already say about the beam color? Thanks.

Let me also mention that I got a Ti2 with XP-G2 and the tint on it is just fine. So not sure if the 2AA Archer I got was normal or that I got unlucky in the tint lottery.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Archer 1AA group buy

If I set it to med and turned off the light; when I turn it back on, it will remain on med (memory). But if after I turn it on and switch mode, would it go to high or start from firefly mode again?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Archer 1AA group buy

It would then go to high so it would continue too switch through the modes.

rayman

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
brittle o-rings ?

Here's a follow-up about the orings on the Archer. In the following discussion link (link), a customer has a thorough two-part analysis of the Archer orings in the very first post (it doesn't have a post #; scroll down to the bolded heading "O-rings.") and in post #48 (link)

parametrek

Enlightened
bad math

I think Thrunite has made a few typos with the Archer 1A/2A/1C. The reported throw and intensity values do not line up. These values are related by the equation

4 * intensity = meters^2

This is the equation used by ANSI FL1. Intensity is measured and throw is calculated from the intensity.
For example, the Archer 2A has a throw of 251 meters and an intensity of 4178 candela. The 2A's 4178 cd intensity should imply a throw of 130 meters.

If you plot the Archers' numbers, it seems Thrunite is using this equation

intensity = meters * 4^2

I know that the Archers have very little spill, but no one else makes a flashlight with a head that small and a throw that good. I'm inclined to believe that these throw numbers are quite wrong.

So many boxes to re-print... :oops:

For confirmation, could someone with an Archer and a lux meter measure the brightness at a fixed distance?

cd-m.png

(flashlight data courtesy of parametrek.com)

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Re: bad math

I contacted Thrunite about this a week ago (both sales and service emailed). Still no response.

papershredder

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the Archer 2A and promptly returned it.

Their lumen rating for maximum and minimum seems about right. However, everything inbetween is dead wrong, and is heavily biased towards the dimmer end of the spectrum. You get the moonlight level, dimmest, dim, and then TURBO!!!!
This was my first experience with having to pass through blinky modes getting to the standard outputs. That was driving me nuts. Between that and the aforementioned issue: dealbreaker.
Some of the machining was sub-par, as I had aluminum burrs on the unanodized threading. I'd hate for one of those to get into the circuits and short something out.

CloneSan

Newly Enlightened
Received my thrunite archer 2a yesterday via amazon.de.
Although I knew the o-rings were brittle and unscrewed the back with utmost care the ring still broke and I had to replace it before doing anything with the light :( .
Also, the glass seems to have suffered some minor damage which you only see if you remove the top ring.
Light itself works as expected. I don't see any flicker (PWM) at all in firefly mode (maybe this is only with moving objects?).

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I had to replace an oring on my archer 2A not long after I got it, but the replacement is holding fine so far. Have to say I really like the archer 2A. Great light.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my thrunite archer 2a yesterday via amazon.de.

you can buy a bunch of new o-rings for little money from hardware stores. they will all tear in the archer 2a but never mind you can replace them fast because they are cheap.

it is a great light. breaking o-rings made in china is no reason to be unhappy about the total of light :)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Archer 2A, 1A, 1C: 2014 New Version

Thrunite seem to have released a new 2014 version. It looks like they added a side switch, just to be original in their flashlight design... :tired:

The clip also looks of lower quality to what they had on previous versions but I could be wrong as I only saw these lights inpicutures.

http://www.thrunite.com/new-arrivals/

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thrunite Archer 2A, 1A, 1C: 2014 New Version

CREE XP-L V6 LED...

XP-L is real and alive. It will be cool to see it in more lights. Also it looks like they are jabbing Olight with those blue o-rings. :)

And is it just me or does it seem really long for a 2aa light? I used to have a Fenix LD20 q5 which seemed shorter compared to that pic. of this Archer 2A and the Fenix E25 (old and newer version) is one of my favorite 2AA lights because it's so compact. Granted the E25 doesn't need to make room for a rear clicky.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Re: Thrunite Archer 2A, 1A, 1C: 2014 New Version

And is it just me or does it seem really long for a 2aa light?

It does but it isn't. The older Archer 2A is the same length as my fenix E21.

I like the look of new 2A, but 450 lumens seems a bit much, and medium too low if the older model is anything to go for. It was 90 Lumens medium, but you'd be forgiven for thinking it was about 30. So you've got three low modes and then one massive high one. The fenix E21 low mode of 54 seems much higher.

Ultimately about 200 lumens is the highest I'd want on a compact 2A light, but would prefer about 150 for regular outdoor use (and better runtime).

What it comes down to, the first 2AA LED light I ever bought (fenix E21) is still the preference of choice for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts