Thrunite bump up...

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Just got the thrunite tn4a and am somewhat underwhelmed...seriously thinking of getting the tn36ut but 5 times ish the cost is it the business (daylight level flood). What are you user experiences?

Wendee

Enlightened
That's because you're a flashaholic on CPF! LOL. ;)

The TN36UT you mentioned takes four 18650 batteries and puts out 7300 lumens, compared to the TN4A that takes four AA batteries and puts out 1100 lumens. That's a whole different category of lights usually only bought by people who are really into flashlights.
The average person who has only ever used the "standard" type of flashlights available at hardware stores, and never seen videos/beam shots of super-power lights would be impressed by the TN4A, I'm sure.

Everything is relative. :)

I know what you mean though, the TN4A was the first "bright" flashlight I ever bought (in my life). I actually looked away and shielded my eyes the first time I turned it on and shined it at a wall because I thought 1100 lumens would totally blind me and make me see stars! LOL. Really.

I still think the TN4A is the best option for a first light. It takes standard batteries and it's a good light. All of the lights I bought at first were to build my "base" collection of useful and practical lights. After 5 months on here I'm just now getting into multi-cell (Li-Ion) lights and just received my first one. The TN4A is my "go to" power outage light at home and my indoor light at our offgrid camp (I have three TN4A). It's also the "bright" flashlight that I would give as a gift to a non-flashaholic (same output as a single 18650 battery light, but much safer and more practical). :)

It is more fun researching and buying multi-18650 lights, for sure.
I just received the Convoy L6 that takes two 26650 batteries and puts out 3800 lumens. I'm still waiting for the batteries to arrive so I can try it. I thought this one would be a good starter 3000+ lumen light because it only costs about $50.00 and it's a good light (see reviews on CPF). I'm sure it will blow away my TN4A and my single 18650 lights.

If you're going to invest in an expensive light like the TN36UT , maybe pay a few extra bucks and get a "souped-up" V54 version from SkyLumen.com.
Do a search on CPF for TN36UTvn. It's pretty impressive. ;)

Wendee

Enlightened
I just thought of something...
Did you double click to get to turbo on the TN4A? It only cycles through low, med & high. You have to double click to get the turbo.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I just thought of something...
Did you double click to get to turbo on the TN4A? It only cycles through low, med & high. You have to double click to get the turbo.
I did indeed double click it and then let out a "oh okay, that's not as bright as I had hoped" I do have high expectations possibly unrealistic ones but I had thought it would be brighter.

Much as I would LOVE this to become a hobby..I haven't the money or the time (I find myself spending HOURS on the tube and forums researching) so I have my collection of triple and double A lights, I had hoped the tn4a would be my middle ground torch but I fear not, perhaps the convoy which I have heard lots of good things about will fill that role and then I want my great big "scare oncoming trail bikers" light...which I think is the tn36ut.

I will have a look at your suggestion...can I just pull you up on one thing you said that is now playing on my mind...you said the word "safer" relating to the batteries...in what way are the tn36 batteries unsafe? Sorry if that's a daft question

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who would've ever thought that someday 1000 lumens+ and over 300m of throw would be underwhelming?!?

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Who would've ever thought that someday 1000 lumens+ and over 300m of throw would be underwhelming?!?
I'm starting to sound like a spoilt brat aren't I? Haha. I'm not moaning about it I am just saying when I first turned on my Ti3 I went WOW...and I was hoping for a similar reaction that just didn't come.....as I said I am unrealistically demanding...I want a single aaa light that fires out 50000 lumens in beam and flood that lasts 2 weeks on full whilst firing unicorn horns as a defence and with a hydraulic arm to wipe my bum....that costs under a tenner.

If the internet didn't exist and I got the tn4a I wouldn't be saying anything other than "wow what a torch"

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear of your disappointment, just a quick Q, what AA's are you using? I ask this as any alki cells will under perform greatly and something like sanyo eneloops or pros will make a difference.

If you go for the tn36UT......................go vinh, 7300lm is so yesteryear, the tn36UTvn pushes a nice 13,000lm of awesomeness and will fulfill your flashaholic lumen junkie needs:grin2:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?409629-TN36UTvn-Pop-Can-King

Dont go big.................go HUGE:naughty:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Sorry to hear of your disappointment, just a quick Q, what AA's are you using? I ask this as any alki cells will under perform greatly and something like sanyo eneloops or pros will make a difference.

If you go for the tn36UT......................go vinh, 7300lm is so yesteryear, the tn36UTvn pushes a nice 13,000lm of awesomeness and will fulfill your flashaholic lumen junkie needs:grin2:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?409629-TN36UTvn-Pop-Can-King

Dont go big.................go HUGE:naughty:
Haha go huge...? That line may get mentioned to the wife to see her reaction. I am indeed using sanyo eneloops, fully charged, different sets...
I have only used the torch with other ambient light intereference thus far so tonight I may trek out into the middle of a dark field and see if I can't get a little more enthused, whilst also worrying farmers.

Do these vn upgrades affect the longevity of the torch? That which burns brighter conks out sooner?

ven

Flashaholic
Haha go huge...? That line may get mentioned to the wife to see her reaction. I am indeed using sanyo eneloops, fully charged, different sets...
I have only used the torch with other ambient light intereference thus far so tonight I may trek out into the middle of a dark field and see if I can't get a little more enthused, whilst also worrying farmers.

Do these vn upgrades affect the longevity of the torch? That which burns brighter conks out sooner?

Never had a vinh light fail.........ever. Its not just a case of a driver or current bump. Several other improvements go in had, beefed up wires, better heat sinking, cubes to aid heat dissipation from the driver.................and his customer service is 2nd to none if any issue does arise. No sending off to China on a whim for weeks/months...............

How it works, run till too warm or uncomfortable to hold, dial down etc.............tail standing on turbo alone is not an option, just common sense tbh.

Wendee

Enlightened
[...] one thing you said that is now playing on my mind...you said the word "safer" relating to the batteries...in what way are the tn36 batteries unsafe? Sorry if that's a daft question

It's not a daft question at all. I had no idea what Li-Ion batteries were when I first joined CPF. I had never even heard of them before. :)

I strongly suggest that you learn about these batteries and how to safely use them and charge them. I wouldn't start with a light that uses 4 of these batteries. I didn't realise that you were unfamiliar with Li-Ion when I suggested the TN36UTvn (yikes). It's probably safer to start with a good quality light that uses a single protected (not unprotected) 18650 battery (not four of them). Since you're looking at Thrunite lights, they have many good single 18650 lights and they also sell their own protected 18650 batteries. Their lights are priced well and good quality (good bang for your buck) and their batteries are safe and good quality (protected Panasonic). They make a charger that looks good (safe) but I don't own it so I can't comment on it. I do own the Nitecore D4 charger which is easy to use (super easy) and has all the required safety features for charging Li-Ion batteries, so I can recommend that one. Thrunite sells lights that have USB charging so you wouldn't need to buy a special charger but I prefer using a charger because I can read the battery voltage which is important (and for various other reasons).

The problem is though, with a single 18650 light you won't get any higher output than what you get with the TN4A. I still think getting used to using 18650 batteries is a good idea though.

There's a section on here dedicated to batteries and many threads discussing how to use them safely (and which type to buy). Maybe I'm overly-cautious but I think it's best to know about everything involved with Li-Ion batteries before using them, since they can go 'boom', especially in multi-battery lights (small chance but possible). I have about twelve 18650 Li-Ion flashlights but I still love my AA lights because I don't have to think or worry about anything. For instance, I have no problem leaving my TN4A in the car in the summer but I would never do that with one of my 18650 lights. Things like that. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Nicely put wendee, i would take safer out of the equation and put common sense in there . Have a read up on the charger side, cell type/brand.
Max charge V 4.2v
Min by manufacturer can be 2.5v(by this time your light probably would have blinked or shut off at 3v
Ideally keep the cell between 3.5ish to 4.2v(little leeway) as turbo probably wont hold and it will drop down at 3.5v or less so a warning there.
Dont leave on charge over night or untended.............i dont mean watch it for 3hrs whilst charging, just dont leave the area!
Ideally a V read out on the charger to get an idea of the V and usage
Learn the light, use it for a set time and check the V, get an idea of when the cell's close to around 3.5v , for example, after i use a light for a set time i top it off for the next. Be it 3.9v or 3.5v.........
Buy a matching set of 4 cells, samsung 30Q are a decent well priced option, sanyo/pany 10a 3500mah are also another option(many more)
Buy a decent charger, xtar i prefer over nitecore, both brands are a good start
Multi meter, does not have to be expensive, just a 1/2 decent one for checking V and keeping a periodical eye on them
If you drain your cell's low, top up quick and dont store for months, locking lights out help prevent accidental activation and parasitic drain where an issue.

Rough n ready little guide, there is more, that is basics for you. Have a little search on here for more info.

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to me how quickly you can get used to more powerful lights. A year ago I was super impressed with even 500 lumens, the TN4A was my first "1000 lumen" light, it was the brightest light I had at the time. Now after having the TN36UTVN with 12,000 lumens and many other modded high output lights it's a lot harder to be impressed.

Have you looked into the thrunite TN30 mini? I have this light as well, mine is 3200 lumens, now they have 3600 lumens, but still lot of light and less then half of TN36UT.

Biggest thing with multi cell lights is to have matching cells paired up and keep them paired. For these lights buy 4 cells and always use them together, if you split them up and use them for other single cell lights, don't use them together again.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Never had a vinh light fail.........ever. Its not just a case of a driver or current bump. Several other improvements go in had, beefed up wires, better heat sinking, cubes to aid heat dissipation from the driver.................and his customer service is 2nd to none if any issue does arise. No sending off to China on a whim for weeks/months...............

How it works, run till too warm or uncomfortable to hold, dial down etc.............tail standing on turbo alone is not an option, just common sense tbh.
Cheers for the reassurance

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
What a complex world I am venturing in to. I am hovering over the "buy" button on the fenix hl60r headlamp which is a single cell and has built in charger which I had thought a safer foray into this world. I have to say I am an evil tyrant to my aaa and aa batteries so it may just be learning to respect batteries more! I am off to a field with my tn4a with a more sympathetic stance given its "easier" battery set up.

ven

Flashaholic
Not safer when the measly AA's run out and leave you in the dark............:p Besides, how are you going to spot the killer clown 1km away:grin2:

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I keep sayin this every time a thread like this starts, "It's not bright enough" "I thought It would be brighter" you people won't be happy til someone makes a flashlight as bright as a flash from a nuke going off and permanently blinds everyone within 3mi Including you:sick2:.....Damn kids:grin2:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Not safer when the measly AA's run out and leave you in the dark............:p Besides, how are you going to spot the killer clown 1km away:grin2:
It's not the killer clowns Ven, its the irrate doggers you interupt that you have to worry about! [emoji33]

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I keep sayin this every time a thread like this starts, "It's not bright enough" "I thought It would be brighter" you people won't be happy til someone makes a flashlight as bright as a flash from a nuke going off and permanently blinds everyone within 3mi Including you:sick2:.....Damn kids:grin2:
That sounds like the ultimate conclusion [emoji6]