Tips for effective flashlight use?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im surprised no one has mentioned this. But I use my hand as a diffuser all the time. Or i choke down the light for night adapted vision. Depending on the light. Obviously I dont have to do that with my Titan T1A.

Also you dont have only to bounce light on a ceiling. You can do it to anything. When I was installing our new home PC, I "ceiling bounced" light under the desk the PC was under. I also like to use my hand to make cool lights warmer.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under the right conditions, you can use a flashlight pressed against a sealed envelope to see (and read) the contents. But, don't snoop. :devil:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When going over uneven terrain, raise your flashlight to shoulder level, as close to even with your eyes as possible. This will remove shadows from the scene directly before you, making things look clearer where you are walking. Floody lights are infinitely more useable for this than throwers.

Have a small, single cell, led type light in your pocket as backup. This is a variation on the "carry extra batts" theme.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Soda Lantern: If you happen to have a cup of your favorite beverage from a convenience store/fast food place, you can set your light emitter-down on the lid and the entire cup emits light smoothly and evenly. A great way to light your path and carry a drink at the same time, and can be especially eye-catching with a bright-colored drink, like Mountain Dew..

I'll also agree with Hotwire that you can check the fluid levels of any container by shining your light in/on it; I use that trick frequently with laundry detergent.

And thanks to modern high-power emitters, you can pre-screen any enveloped piece of mail by setting your light on high, pressing it directly against the envelope, and observing the opposite side. It doesn't matter how thick the paper is or how much interior masking it has, a power LED will cut right through..

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soda Lantern: If you happen to have a cup of your favorite beverage from a convenience store/fast food place, you can set your light emitter-down on the lid and the entire cup emits light smoothly and evenly. A great way to light your path and carry a drink at the same time, and can be especially eye-catching with a bright-colored drink, like Mountain Dew..

I'll also agree with Hotwire that you can check the fluid levels of any container by shining your light in/on it; I use that trick frequently with laundry detergent.

And thanks to modern high-power emitters, you can pre-screen any enveloped piece of mail by setting your light on high, pressing it directly against the envelope, and observing the opposite side. It doesn't matter how thick the paper is or how much interior masking it has, a power LED will cut right through..

Empty plastic pop/water bottles often fit snug on the end of flashlights like the Quark 1X123 and other lights of similar diameter for use as a diffuser.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go camping then always take a light with VERY low output, when you need to pee at 3am the last thing your night adapted eyes want is the glare of a high powered light! My Jetbeam Jet-IIIM has a very low minimum output or my Quark AA with Olight diffuser is another option, moonmode + diffuser = no harsh hotspot to hurt my eyes or ruin my night vision.

CR123

Newly Enlightened
My tip is when using said big floody light, the higher you hold it, the better. Try it for yourself. You'll see much further with the light held at your shoulder than at your waist. I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but I'm too tired to work it out right now

I notice that too. Probably, you get more light reflected back up off the ground that way. It could also shorten shadows cast by medium-height brush and such.

My favorite trick though is the light along a flat surface (floor etc). I use that all the time to find stuff.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that a warm light works great when a flood pattern is needed, ie close up vision and a cool emitter when throw is more important.
I have the same lights with both emitters and change them when my needs change.
My warm SPY tends to be my inside light as it doesn't overpower my eyes, and the cool versions for walking the dogs.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
As a general rule, CPFers have a lot of lights.

So it is important you choose the right light before heading out. Taking a few moments before heading out and you can save some frustration.

Think about the activities you will be doing and then choose the right light for that day. If you are going to work indoors all day, then a floody light may be a better choice than a thrower. If your going to a movie, a light with moon mode may be better than a 200 lumen single level light. Etc, etc, etc.

You'll get more pleasure out of your flashlight hobby when you have the right light for the job. :thumbsup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said PSM! I like to think that the near perfect combo, for only EDC'ing 2 lights is an L2 and an LX2! My L2 is one of my most EDC'ed lights.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
In larger body 18650 lights, if you're using two CR123A batteries, you can tape the batteries together with duct tape/electrical tape to keep them from rattling and also carry some emergency electrical tape! Also could use that extra space to place a piece of paper with your details on it, in case you lose the light (heard this from other CPF'ers).

Not sure if this is effective "use", but if your lithium-running light starts hissing and getting hot, throw it somewhere safe and run!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
In larger body 18650 lights, if you're using two CR123A batteries, you can tape the batteries together with duct tape/electrical tape to keep them from rattling and also carry some emergency electrical tape! Also could use that extra space to place a piece of paper with your details on it, in case you lose the light (heard this from other CPF'ers).

Not sure if this is effective "use", but if your lithium-running light starts hissing and getting hot, throw it somewhere safe and run!
three very good suggestions :thumbsup:, and the tape is a great idea, but I always use 18650 so no space, and I always carry some tape anyway :whistle:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to EDC lights that can take the same batteries, this way I can exchange the batteries if need be. I also try to have a backup that can fill in a slightly different role than my main EDC, so I cover as many uses as possible, but don't necessarily have to switch the batteries when one of them goes dead.

How come no one has mentioned the golden rule? (I call it the rule of 3)

2 = 1 and 1 = none. Carry at least 3 lights for critical situations.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread and great posts. We all get the oil changed in our cars (hopefully), and perform regular maintenance as needed . Quality LED lights can last a lifetime, but they should be maintained. Occasional inspection of contacts, threads, o-rings, batteries, etc. can keep your light in tip-top shape. A quick clean and lube can make a light good as new and help it perform like the day you got it, especially when it's regularly exposed to harsh conditions (rain, dusty pockets, etc.).

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
One of the best and most useful mods I've done to a flashlight was to slip the green cap from a Blistex lip balm tube over the bezel of my Maratac AAA. When the light is on low (1.8 lumens) it is the most perfect little glowing amount of diffused green light you can imagine. It makes a great house light for pitch-black hallway night ops, and would probably be a great map reading light when trying to remain discreet outdoors.

Another use for flashlights I've discovered recently is as a makeshift camera flash for taking cell phone camera pictures. I hold the phone in one hand, and use the flashlight in the other hand, with my arm outstretched as high as possible over my head, pointing the flashlight down at the photo subject. It may look goofy for the second or two I'm taking the picture, but it really brightens up cell phone pictures when in dark lighting. Obviously, a warm colored floody light in a mode somewhere between 15-50 lumens works best for this application.

I occasionally use a cool white led flashlight to scan the corners of my ceilings in my house to see old spider webs. They show up well in cool white light.

On multi-mode lights where low doesn't come on first, if I need low, I'll cycle through modes with the light against my thigh until I get to low. Then I'll slowly lift the light up (to be sure I'm in low). This is especially important in a movie theatre, dim restaurant, etc. where a light blasting on in high mode first would be embarrassing.

Using a warm colored led, or better yet, an incandescent light, to check the color and "doneness" of meat on an outdoor grill at night is much better than using a cool led.

Using a Streamlight Super Tac to scan the perimeter of a resort community golf course from about 200 yards away at night is a good way to get angry shouts from people on the other side as they sit on their porches.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my ITP A3 with a string made into a loop and attached to the A3 through the little end ring (threw away the keychain) using a hitch to secure the loop. So basically I have the light on a necklace.

I don't use that light unless a necklace makes sense...backup light while camping/hiking or for carrying out the garbage at night.

However my favorite use is when soaking in the tub after coming home from the climbing gym. I turn off all the light to make the bathroom pitch black and hang the necklace from the adjustment knob on the side of the showerhead. I put the light on low (2 lumens).

It's relaxing to have all the lights off except the 2 lumens from the A3 and the lighting effect is dramatic since it casts long shadows from the fixtures. It shines straight down to where the water is coming in from the tub faucet. I guess it's my version of candles around the tub (but much more manly of course)!

Carrying that light on a necklace allows you to drop it under your shirt for most of the time and you don't even know you have it. I was climbing outside when I thought I'd be down from the mountain well before sunset and didn't bring my headlamp. I was wrong however and got caught after dark until I remember I had my A3 around my neck and tucked into my shirt. It was just enough to get me through the woods and to the car.

A3 on a necklace...that's my tip :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who miss having a low low on their lights, you can easily simulate it by using electric tape and punching a small hole in the center - about 1/16th. This does not modify the beam profile -provided you are centered enough, but sure diminishes the amount of light coming out by a lot.

I you have a lens adaptor from which you can remove the lens, you can make your own lenses and diffuser. I use the plastic from old CD cases. Colored ones can give a nice tint and transparent ones can be sanded with 400 grit paper and make excellent diffusers. To cut the plastic to the right size, take the original lens and draw the circle on the plastic with a permanent marker. Next, cut it out with regular cutters; the plastic will always break towards the inside of the cutter. Once that is cut out, the long part is to shape that into a nice circle of the right size with sand paper or an abrasive sponge (works best). I made one in green with a 1/16th opening and get a real nice night vision preserving adaptor.

Oh, I also made an adaptor to get rid of spill and keep the spot and pretty much all the throw: I used a wand diffuser and cut the tip - you need to experiment a bit and cut until you find the right length that works for you. The next step it to paint it. You will most likely have realistic Saturn rings unless you paint the inside as well.

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I recently posted on here saying you should put a slip of paper with your contact details on it inside your lights, ironically, i got lazy and did not do this for my Preon II which I just bought.
I lost that very light today :(
My new tip: Don't procrastinate things, secure your light NOW, not soon or later, prevention is always the best cure.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I recently posted on here saying you should put a slip of paper with your contact details on it inside your lights, ironically, i got lazy and did not do this for my Preon II which I just bought.
I lost that very light today :(
My new tip: Don't procrastinate things, secure your light NOW, not soon or later, prevention is always the best cure.

oronocova

Enlightened
On the subject of eye shine it does help to hold the flashlight at eye level. It also helps to use a lower output level because many animals are skiddish and will look away or move away from a brighter light. I have noticed a lower level doesn't spook them as easy. I haven't noticed this with deer, and if you ever hit one in a car you'd probably agree :) But I have noticed it with foxes for instance.