Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

• Ouch! No!

Votes: 95 56.5%
  • YES!

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

gravelrash

Enlightened
I have several HDS lights and I would absolutely love an HDS Ti, especially if a true HCRI (warm) led were available for it. But if I had $1000 sitting in my flashlight piggy bank it would be hard not to get a Spy 007. I guess it comes down to what people are willing to pay, and I'm sure some will pay 1K for the HDS. I hope this happens so that some few will be able to enjoy them.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I'd be in. Tactical Rotary, flush button! lol If he makes them.......they will sell. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Gotta have great knurling though!!!

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm a huge fan of Henry's lights. I truly believe that they are the absolute best everyday carry light that money can buy. The hyper red rotary for the group buy I'm waiting on will be my 3rd HDS. :candle:

I also really like titanium. :D
But $1000 is too steep.
If it were $500, I'd be in. Maybe even up to $650 or $750... But $1k, IMO, is just too much. With McGizmo's lights, which are also titanium, topping out at around $500, it would be too hard for me to justify almost double. Additionally, paying over 3x over a normal one simple to have it made out of titanium instead of aluminum isn't worth it to me.

This is sad to hear. :sigh:

These are exactly my feelings. Plus, I'm pushing for the blue cerakote run, which will already be around $375 and eat up a chunk of flashlight budget for a while. Definitely can't do both.

I paid $600 for the Ti Clicky I had in the past. That is about what I could reasonably justify for another one.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My honest, personal opinion is a troll? Now I feel as if you're being disrespectful to me. Regular HDS lights are overpriced in my book. 1,000 for a light is ridiculous. 4-500 for titanium HDS would be more realistic but still very pricy.

I have to agree, personal opinion is not trolling.

Some people are just going to have a strong opinion on this one. After all, if you told any average person you spent $1000 on a tiny, not even very bright, flashlight made of an inferior design material just because it looks pretty, you would either be seen as a fun boy or an idiot and get told to get a life. Just keep that in perspective there obsessive flashaholics:thumbsup:

I personally dont care how others spend/waste there money(I have wasted my fair share as well on a number of hobbies) but, Im pretty sure this is how the general public would react.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
On the contrary, telling people who are prepared to pay money for something that they like, that they are being ridiculous is disrepectful.

This is a Flashlight forum after all. Why don't you try going to a Watch Forum and telling the folks there that they are being ridiculous for dropping $20,000 on a Jaeger le Coultre?

Or go to a Car Forum and tell the people there that they're being ridiculous for buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Calling Titanium an inferior design material for a flashlight is both inflammatory and misleading. There are plenty of excellent threads showing that you're completely mistaken in your opinion. Refer to js's thread about Titanium in the McGizmo Forum to educate yourself.

Charles L.

Enlightened
No one told anyone not to buy anything. A poster said that, in his opinion, the lights are overpriced. The rhetoric may have been a bit strong, but does that equate with trolling? Not compared to what is said about some other lights... Personally, I hope a run of titanium HDS lights is made and sells out instantly.

Hey, you want an expensive hobby? Buy my boat :)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the contrary, telling people who are prepared to pay money for something that they like, that they are being ridiculous is disrepectful.

This is a Flashlight forum after all. Why don't you try going to a Watch Forum and telling the folks there that they are being ridiculous for dropping $20,000 on a Jaeger le Coultre?

Or go to a Car Forum and tell the people there that they're being ridiculous for buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Calling Titanium an inferior design material for a flashlight is both inflammatory and misleading. There are plenty of excellent threads showing that you're completely mistaken in your opinion. Refer to js's thread about Titanium in the McGizmo Forum to educate yourself.

"Ridiculous" was an extension on my personal opinion statement, yes. Am I selectively singling members out and bashing them for wanting to buy what they want to buy? Is anyone here doing that? No. I have my own personal hobbies and spending quirks just like anybody else on this forum. Hell, spending 50-60 on a flashlight is ridiculous to most anybody in the world. For my money, I hypothetically rather get a 500 dollar McGizmo than a 1,000 dollar HDS. But hey! That's just my opinion.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Calling Titanium an inferior design material for a flashlight is both inflammatory and misleading. There are plenty of excellent threads showing that you're completely mistaken in your opinion in the McGizmo Forum. Refer to js's thread about Titanium there to educate yourself.

Im not going to debate whether or not it is "ridiculous" to spend that kind of money on this flashlight because people can do what they want with their money but, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont see it as disrespectful myself and buying any frivolous item and talking about it on an open forum can open you to scrutiny.

Dude, I dont need to read flashlight forums for that info, I took metallurgy and manufacturing in college. Most companies use Ti-6Al-4V titanium which has both poor surface wear resistance and a low shear strength. This means that, when polished, it can actually scratch easier then a good type III anodized aluminum(but wont chip). Bare titanium threads will also see more galling and abrasion wear then type III coated aluminum threads. Then there is titanium's thermal conductivity which if far worse then aluminum causing drivers and emitters to run hotter shortening their life and increasing chance of catastrophic failure.

In most cases, titanium is an inferior material for use as a flashlights body. That is a fact. People buy it because of looks and the legendary status of it in the media(bragging rights). It is generally heavier then an aluminum body too(almost 2.5 x as heavy as 6061 T6) and the added strength is just not needed in this application imo. While there are many great uses for Ti, I think flashlights arent one of them personally. The only thing I prefer about Ti in a flashlight application is that it tends to suck the heat out of your hands less on cold days.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
"Ridiculous" was an extension on my personal opinion statement, yes. Am I selectively singling members out and bashing them for wanting to buy what they want to buy? Is anyone here doing that? No. I have my own personal hobbies and spending quirks just like anybody else on this forum. Hell, spending 50-60 on a flashlight is ridiculous to most anybody in the world. For my money, I hypothetically rather get a 500 dollar McGizmo than a 1,000 dollar HDS. But hey! That's just my opinion.

The point is that this is a flashlight forum, so its quite obviously not aimed at "most anybody in the world"

Therefore saying that "I think spending xxx amount of money on this light is ridiculous" still comes across as being derogatory on this forum, whether you express it as a personal opinion or not.

The whole point is that there are custom makers that are able to make the most extreme and outlandishly lavish examples of the subject matter of this forum and they turn them into works of art.

This is no different from Knifemakers and Watchmakers.

Go to any forum like this and you'll find examples at both ends of the spectrum.

I can't see how its constructive to make remarks that are dismissive, whether they are couched under the guise of "personal opinions" or otherwise.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't assume that I already don't frequent hobbyist forums like these. I have over 6,000 posts on Head-Fi (forum for high-end headphones), and own a couple of high-end ones myself. Discerning opinions, criticisms and wildly inflated prices in the world of audio make this place seem perfectly tame! :grin2:

I don't see why one can't have an opinion.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular HDS lights are overpriced in my book. 1,000 for a light is ridiculous. 4-500 for titanium HDS would be more realistic but still very pricy.

That sounds less trollish. No disrespect intended. It's just the first post is - I don't buy HDS so I wouldn't buy a titanium. - Comes off trollish as your not really adding much but declaring you don't purchase HDS lights in the first place.

Anywho, Im deleting my statement as I don't want others swarming and now that you colored us in with a little more info I find it more of a contribution.

Trolling statement retracted.

@ Everybody, lets move along, let the thread fill up with the topic @ hand. Would you spend $1K on an Ti HDS?

Now PM me some good cheap Head-Fi equipment, Im always looking for making music sound better, but I dont' want to spend over $100 for the best setup. :p

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1. Although I probably won't buy one of these, I can see the virtues. Having owned a number of McGizmos, Spy lights and other titanium beauties, I can understand a discerning enthusiasts desire to have one of these. It's just out of my budget right now, and I have 3 HDS lights with another (Hyper red hopefully crimson cerakoted) on the way.

Bravo, Daniel

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds less trollish. No disrespect intended. It's just the first post is - I don't buy HDS so I wouldn't buy a titanium. - Comes off trollish as your not really adding much but declaring you don't purchase HDS lights in the first place.

Anywho, Im deleting my statement as I don't want others swarming and now that you colored us in with a little more info I find it more of a contribution and a rooted opinion. Trolling statement retracted.

Now PM me some good cheap Head-Fi equipment, Im always looking for making music sound better, but i dont want to spend over $100 for perfection. :p

Hey, no problem. I'm not trying to come off as confrontative, so I apologize if my first post in the topic rubbed any HDS fans the wrong way. If you're really looking for good, low cost solutions for personal audio, I can definitely throw you some recommendations via PM!

easilyled

Flashaholic
+1. Although I probably won't buy one of these, I can see the virtues. Having owned a number of McGizmos, Spy lights and other titanium beauties, I can understand a discerning enthusiasts desire to have one of these. It's just out of my budget right now, and I have 3 HDS lights with another (Hyper red hopefully crimson cerakoted) on the way.

Bravo, Daniel

Dan, I'm glad you agree.

I have not said that I would necessarily spend $1000 on one of these either unless I knew that they were along the lines of a SPY007 in terms of excellence.

Its all about the tone though ....

There's a world of difference between saying:-

I don't think that I can justify spending that amount of money on this particular light -- compared to -- spending that amount of money on this light is ridiculous in my opinion.

The second statement shows a certain degree of contempt for the the initial post (and hence poster) and for anyone who is prepared to spend the money and its not warranted.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
should have specifically targeted already hds or would-be customers.

Obviously anyone who would never buy an HDS anyway, and/or would never spend $1,000 on any light, aren't the ones they're asking here. But all of the no votes are irrelevant for that matter, the ratio, just whether there are enough yes votes to determine whether it'd be worth a run or not.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I go to bed and fight breaks out.
Not the intention of this thread.

I would say a few things...
First, the Cool Fall Spy 007 is $1295. Here is the thread HERE. Not that I've been lurking around there wanting to buy one... OK FINE. I have! Every time I make a holster for one and end up borrowing one... I end up over there.

Second, I really should have been more clear in the first post. I should have posted "If you already own/use an HDS..."

Anyway, let's keep this civil.

So, anyone up for a discussion of religion and politics?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Obviously anyone who would never buy an HDS anyway, and/or would never spend $1,000 on any light, aren't the ones they're asking here. But all of the no votes are irrelevant for that matter, the ratio, just whether there are enough yes votes to determine whether it'd be worth a run or not.

Exactly.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

+10

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the problem is that HDS is pricing itself out of the "LED Flashlight" sub-forum and into the "Custom and Modified Flashlights" sub-forum, along with the McGizmos, Prometheus', and Mac's Customs of the world. Seriously, what do you expect when you post a $1k question in general LED flashlight forum? I don't see Cool Fall surveying market interest here.

Seems to me that Henry needs his own little sub-forum now ;).