Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

• Ouch! No!

Votes: 95 56.5%
  • YES!

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

DaveSebring

Newly Enlightened
Wow this one really got people talking :)

I would love a titanium HDS bought if my wife ever found out it would be very frosty around here for a very long time ...

I now own 3 HDS lights and the Hyper Red on the way will make 4 ... So I GUESS the argument could be made that I could sell those to pay for one in titanium :)

But seriously I think $500 - $600 would be a more realistic price point for such a thing.

As other folks have mentioned if McGizmo can do it why not Henry?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an HDS, and used to have a 2nd one.

No, I am not willing to spend a grand for a titanium HDS, even if it has an 18650 battery tube, a great bezel down integrated clip, rotary control, and a high output neutral emitter (pushing 500 lumens).

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
I've been a big fan of Henry for years. I've got around 7 of his lights. I also like titanium as I've got 5 McGizmo lights. That said, I couldn't justify spending $1K on a Ti HDS. I'd go $600-$700.

Regarding twistedraven's comments, I just don't get it. If you think all HDS lights are overpriced, not to mention the Ti vaporlight, then why even participate in the conversation? No offense, but your opinion means nothing if you never intend to be a HDS customer. I could give you my opinion on a Tesla, but I don't own one and never will, so what's the point?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I would love an HDS Ti Rotary or Clicky, I would have trouble resisting even at $1000, but I would need to sell items and save a little $$ to finance it. Even then I would have to think HARD about it. That's a lot of cash.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light with a Nichia or neutral emitter in it interests me, and the form factor of the HDS is quite striking and simple. I am disappointed at the cost of all the lights though, and 1,000 for a titanium light only compounds that feeling. If McGizmo lights cost half the amount, I rather give him my money.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I'm on a buy-American kick right now. I do not have an HDS, but am taking a hard look at the high-CRI rotary. No, I will not be looking at the titanium version.

But, as mentioned before, I am not your $1000 flashlight customer -- at least not yet! You are probably looking at a new customer base if you increase prices by more than 100%, so I wouldn't necessarily confine this inquiry to current or past customers only. Show the value and they will come.

I was struck by this: "No offense, but your opinion means nothing if you never intend to be a HDS customer." Can you imagine if we applied that principle to all light brands? The posts on this forum would be cut in half! ;)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like HDS lights, but I prefer aluminum.
I'll soon be in the market for a 325.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm pretty surprised but very interested so far at the response. So, even for those of us who own multiple other Ti Customs and HDSs and own/have owned Ti Clickies in the past, (IOW, the demographic most likely to buy one) the projected price puts it out of the "would buy" range. That's pretty telling.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to buy a high CRI titanium Rotary, but there's no way my marriage would survive the transaction.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't buy a regular HDS as I think they are overpriced for what you get. So no, I definitely wouldn't buy a lower performance version for twice the price. Especially since most manufactures use crap Ti alloys that don't even offer very good scratch and thread wear resistance and that is Ti's only benefit imo other then looks if you like that.
You don't know Henry if you think he'd use "crap Ti alloys" in his products.

And I'm baffled by your claim that HDS lights "are overpriced for what you get". What you get is one of the most durable, reliable, versatile lights on the market with guaranteed output and minimum runtimes built to some of the most exacting standards in the flashlight industry and backed by a lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service. I'm honestly not sure what else you could reasonably expect for the asking price.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably one of the biggest HDS addicts out there....I have more HDS lights than I care to say, been hooked since the U60 days.
Build quality and customer service go above and beyond in my book.

I'm also an owner of a titanium HDS as well as other custom titanium lights.

That being said, I would really have to give it alot of thought at that price tag though.
From 650 from the previous titanium run to 1,000 is a big jump.

Now if the new Titanium HDS lights were offered with Titanium 18650 tubes and trit slotted bezels...
I'd have a hard time saying no ;)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000$ Wow... That's really too much for one single light... As much as I would love a Ti Rotary, I could never justify that much money even if it might be best light ever created. Just to own one, I would even accept if the Ti body would be mass made in China, as long as the brain and the rest is still made in USA.

And that comment does not come from a newbie, believe me Hogo, I'm a die-hard fan of HDS...

6BcIIq.jpg

Last edited:

GearHunter

Enlightened
I am a new owner of an HDS ( clicky 140n). It took me a couple years to buy that one. Now that I have I am waiting for the 4000k Xp-l run to get built because one of them is mine. I bought HDS because I believe it's the best tool for my needs. That's what gear is to me....tools to complete whatever mission my day tosses me so I'll have to say no thank you to a Ti run as it will do nothing for the usefulness of the tool. Will I own 1000.00$ worth of HDS ? I am sure I will as one more custom will put me at that mark so it's not about the total money for me its just about the best tool for the job.

scout24

Flashaholic
Some hardcore HDS fans here, and some folks who need to read the 17 previous HDS threads and THEN come back to comment on quality, value, etc. :) I've spent more and I've spent less. Had one or two earlier run Ti's briefly. Not sure about this one, I'd be curious as to the options as far as emitters, clips, etc. As I recall, the "Chip Clip" was all the rage last run. If the currently available clip for bezel down carry were an option, I'd have to think harder. Kid9P- as you own a first-run Ti Clicky, would you be able to weigh it? I'm curious how much more it weighs than the current aluminum offerings.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I love HDS lights, currently own 4, and I'll buy #5 when the 18650 tube becomes available. But I can say with certainty I would never pay $1000 for an HDS in titanium.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was quick Scout....lol

Love your darkearth BTW !!

Latest posts