TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
There shouldn't be any condensation in this light. It's unacceptable and is most certainly not normal. You should be able to use this light on any setting for any amount of time til the batteries are dead.

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
I just put silica gel bag in chamber and close tail cap. You must use dry silica gel. I put my small "do not eat"(comes ith electronic devices) bags to 120C (about 240F) owen for 1 h to make sure that these are dry.
Lots of times lights ship with silica already inserted in the battery tube.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Most electronics and many other products include the sachets of 'Do not Eat - Silica gel' which is exactly what you need.

Read the whole of this thread for some more info.

Make sure you don't insert damp batteries (due to sweaty hands) to prevent recurrence.

Thank you for your reply!

I did not receive any silica gel with my TK75, but I am sure I can find it somewhere. Once I find some in the non-plactic wrapping then I will cook it at 275(?) and put it between the head of the light and the battery holder. Do I put the bottom cover on the light as well?

My biggest question now would be: how many times does this process need to be done? Does anyone have experience with using this fix and then seeing fog again?

I appreciate all your help! Thanks!

Etsu

Enlightened
There shouldn't be any condensation in this light. It's unacceptable and is most certainly not normal. You should be able to use this light on any setting for any amount of time til the batteries are dead.

Yeah, but it seems that this light puts some spell on owners, and they refuse to return it for a refund. I've never used one, but it must be a hell of a good light for people to put up with this fogging issue, and the potential for longer-term problems from moisture being forced inside the head.

I'm not sure whether Fenix deserves a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

I agree 100%! This is why i have not yet baught any TK75 since Fenix has not yet given any respond about what causes this issue and how they will solve it. Yet i don´t know if the condensation issue is only on the old version or if it has been issues of it on the upgraded TK75 as well.

On a light with a retailprice of 200US$ one could expect that issues such as condense under the lens should not appear.

I have my eyes on a dealer at Ebay who sells the TK75-L2(the upgraded one) with 4x18650 batteries and a charger to a good price and i am considering it,but i will wait with my purchase untill i know more about this condensation issue and if it has been an issue of it on the upgraded TK75 as well.

One thing for sure is that if i received a TK75 that has the condensation issue,i would not put it the freezer or putting in silica gel in it-i would return it to the dealer immediately! It´s not the customer who should have to deal with any issues like this with their lights. It falls under the warranty which one has paid for in the first place.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
I agree 100%! This is why i have not yet baught any TK75 since Fenix has not yet given any respond about what causes this issue and how they will solve it. Yet i don´t know if the condensation issue is only on the old version or if it has been issues of it on the upgraded TK75 as well.
On a light with a retailprice of 200US$ one could expect that issues such as condense under the lens should not appear.
I have my eyes on a dealer at Ebay who sells the TK75-L2(the upgraded one) with 4x18650 batteries and a charger to a good price and i am considering it,but i will wait with my purchase untill i know more about this condensation issue and if it has been an issue of it on the upgraded TK75 as well.
One thing for sure is that if i received a TK75 that has the condensation issue,i would not put it the freezer or putting in silica gel in it-i would return it to the dealer immediately! It´s not the customer who should have to deal with any issues like this with their lights. It falls under the warranty which one has paid for in the first place.

This issue is also happening on the upgraded 2900Lm model.

I agree that the customer should not have to fix this issue. My dilemma is that I love the light and it seems like a lot of them are recieving this complaint. So if I return it for another one with the same problem then I am just going to be searching for another light.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
It APPEARS that I have eradicated the "Condensation Issues" with the help and suggestions of "LFP11"!!

I heard of silica gel and it's way of drawing out moisture. But it took LPF11'S suggestion for me to try it. Mostly because it worked and he has a TK-75 that he used it on.

-Silica gel in oven at 275 F. for One hour to make sure all moisture is out.
-Put one packet in Battery tube for 3 days
-Ran light for 62 consecutive minutes on TURBO-NO CONDENSATION FORMED!!

Repeated same process. Tonight I got the SAME RESULTS! 62 minutes of Turbo-NO CONDENSATION UNDER LENS!

:twothumbs
Head must not be hermetically sealed as LFP11 indicates above!

THANKS LFP11!!
:thanks::thumbsup:

Hi Capolini!

Did you also put the light in a sealed bag?

Also could you please clarify the exact location that you put the silica gel pack? Was it in the battery holder or as close to the head of the light as possible (inside the battery tube)?

I only have a limited time before I decide to ship it back or keep it, so I am hoping to try this tonight :)

Thanks

Capolini

Banned
Yeah, but it seems that this light puts some spell on owners, and they refuse to return it for a refund. I've never used one, but it must be a hell of a good light for people to put up with this fogging issue, and the potential for longer-term problems from moisture being forced inside the head.

I'm not sure whether Fenix deserves a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

I returned mine and Fenix Outfitters replaced a 10 month old light for free! Fenix outfitters deserves a :thumbsup:. They were very accommodating.

As I indicated in earlier posts. my CONDENSATION ISSUE is resolved! When NOT in use I keep a packet of silica gel inside battery chamber so no moisture will get inside while it is idle!

I have used the light more than a half a dozen times, on turbo for 62 consecutive minutes[minus every 25/30 min. step downs] With NO CONDENSATION WHATSOEVER!

Capolini

Banned
ATTENTION:BLERKOID! I FORGOT TO QUOTE YOU. THIS IS FOR YOU!

The light does not need to be in a sealed bag. Just put a packet of silica gel in the BATTERY TUBE with end cap on securely.

I bought Ten[10] 3 gram packets for only $5.00 on Ebay. I put in oven at 275F. for 1 hour,then they were absolutely dried out. I just used one packet in the battery chamber

Make sure you take out the battery carrier and batteries!

After I did this for 3 days and got success, then I kept the silica gel in Batt. tube for 2 days,success again. Now,I can use it every night if I want and when not in use[just to make sure] I keep the silica packet in the EMPTY battery tube.

This is just me. after each use of silica packet I put them in a separate[ marked used] baggy. when I get 8 or 9 I put back in the oven and start the process all over again.

good luck,it is a great torch!:thumbsup::)

Last edited:

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
ATTENTION:BLERKOID! I FORGOT TO QUOTE YOU. THIS IS FOR YOU!

The light does not need to be in a sealed bag. Just put a packet of silica gel in the BATTERY TUBE with end cap on securely.

I bought Ten[10] 3 gram packets for only $5.00 on Ebay. I put in oven at 275F. for 1 hour,then they were absolutely dried out. I just used one packet in the battery chamber

Make sure you take out the battery carrier and batteries!

After I did this for 3 days and got success, then I kept the silica gel in Batt. tube for 2 days,success again. Now,I can use it every night if I want and when not in use[just to make sure] I keep the silica packet in the EMPTY battery tube.

This is just me. after each use of silica packet I put them in a separate[ marked used] baggy. when I get 8 or 9 I put back in the oven and start the process all over again.

good luck,it is a great torch!:thumbsup::)

Thanks very much Capolini! This is very helpful! I am trying the silica trick tonight. I will have to buy more for a more constant solution. How did you know that you could put your silica gel packets in the oven?

Thanks again man! This is a huge help

Capolini

Banned
Thanks very much Capolini! This is very helpful! I am trying the silica trick tonight. I will have to buy more for a more constant solution. How did you know that you could put your silica gel packets in the oven?

Thanks again man! This is a huge help

Your welcome! That is what we are here for, people helped me!:)

When I researched Silica Gel I found that[Putting in oven] information on a few websites,,,,also, People on here told me.I saw anywhere from 200F to 275 F. for an hour. 275 F. worked fine for me. There was NO ISSUE as far as the packet burning!

Remember that book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury??? That is the temp. paper burns,,,,,,,,this is well below that and apparently a safe temperature for the silica gel inside as my results indicated!

As I said, I got Ten [10] Three[3] gram packets for $4.69 including shipping!!The 3 gram packets are perfect for the battery tube of the TK-75. If you are not able to get that size and have to get smaller ones[1 or 2 gram packets], just use a few of them I bought it on amazon from "Minuteman Supply" . You can find numerous dealers on amazon.

I would think you will get the same results as I did.Remember, once the Condensation is removed, just keep one in the battery tube while you are not using it. You will be able to use it every night if you want once the condensation is eradicated and[again!] using a packet in the tube when not in use for general maintenance and peace of mind!:clap:

This is just the way I do it and it has worked for me! I have Ten packets, I may as well use them. Instead of waiting a week or Two to use the packets again, they are always in the Battery Tube when the torch is not in use, therefore condensation never gets the opportunity to rebuild! So far so Good!:thumbsup:

p.s. I certainly AGREE that the consumer should not have to be bothered by this!
I will say this, my condensation issue never affected the beam profile, was about the size of a large nickel.Dissipated 15 min. after light was off.

Fenix outfitters replaced my original and if this replacement lights beam profile was ever seriously affected or electronic devices of the light failed, they would have refunded me.So as a pain in the A.. as the whole ordeal has been, it really is a pleasure to look at the lens and see no condensation after seeing it since last December when I bought the original light!

Putting the packet in the chamber while not in use[my choice] is really not a big deal. I only use a packet once, then every 2 or 3 weeks back in the oven again!

Last edited:

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
The packets that I first tried to cook shriveled up :shrug: I must have had the wrong type, I guess. I just took them out of the packaging and cooked them and wrapped them in a coffee filter.

Capolini

Banned
The packets that I first tried to cook shriveled up :shrug: I must have had the wrong type, I guess. I just took them out of the packaging and cooked them and wrapped them in a coffee filter.

WHAT???!!!! That is baffling! If you google "silica gel dry packets" you will see several choices on Amazon.

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened

I have my eyes on a dealer at Ebay who sells the TK75-L2(the upgraded one) with 4x18650 batteries and a charger to a good price and i am considering it,but i will wait with my purchase untill i know more about this condensation issue and if it has been an issue of it on the upgraded ...
Absolutely! I'd send it back right away. I hear the new ones do it as we'll so I'd hold off.

Capolini

Banned

Don't EXPECT Fenix to address the issue!!:rolleyes:

I communicated with "Nicole" from main HQ when I was having condensation problems with my original TK-75. She said that this is normal!! Some bs that because of the heat generated,,blah, blah,blah! That is their way of saying, there is nothing wrong, therefore we are not going to do anything about it!

There is no doubt it is not hermetically sealed and more than likely this condensation originated when it was manufactured!

I love the light! So, I fought a battle, now it is clear sailing! :thumbsup:

I will also mention this again, Fenix Outfitters have been very accommodating and worked with me through this whole process!

I agree that the consumer should not have spent time communicating back and forth, getting frustrated, ect.and then having to buy silica gel to resolve the issue.

For me the worst is over. The condensation is non existent since I started my silica gel regiment. It is really simple now.Just in case, I keep a packet in the battery tube when I am not using it.Easy maintenance!:twothumbs

Like everything else, we all have free will and can choose to do as we wish.:thinking:

Last edited:

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
DON'T SAY A WORD CAPOLINI......Ok....so i AM going to buy another Fenix.....so you were RIGHT after all!!!!! I have a tk75 2900 in a shopping cart this very moment....its a GREAT deal i think. But before I checked out, I thought I would come here JUST TO MAKE sure it was all that. And now sadness. I DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT want to spend this kind of money just to have condensation. Read every post but not seeing what the odds are this will happen. Got REALLY concerned when I read this was happening with the new 2900 version also....at first i figured it was just with the 2600 and surely, Fenix would have corrected this with the 2900. I am wrong again. So seriously, do I want to buy this thing if its fogging? What are the odds, 1 in 10 fog? 1 in 3 fog? Plus, how can it be waterproof if moisture is in this thing? If the silica can DRAW the moisture out.....then there is an opeing letting moisture in.....cant come out unless it can get in. I am all confused now. Bottom line, should I get one???

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
Does the moisture affect the dang thing? Does it operate just fine with moisture there? Does it affect the beam throw and the flood??? MOSTLY WORRIED ITS NOT WATERPROOF. I mean it DOES rain....I COULD drop it in a river bed....

I don't care what anyone says (if anyone said it :sssh:) if moisture comes out....then it has to get in also....which means there is no way its waterproof!!!!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bottom line, should I get one???

Short answer, absolutely. This is one of the best lights available, period. It is a very well balanced...out-throws most lights of similar size, and spill is impressive too. You can find other lights that are better in one specific category, but the TK75 does it all fairly well. Very well balanced light.

Does the moisture affect the dang thing? Does it operate just fine with moisture there? Does it affect the beam throw and the flood??? MOSTLY WORRIED ITS NOT WATERPROOF. I mean it DOES rain....I COULD drop it in a river bed....

I don't care what anyone says (if anyone said it :sssh:) if moisture comes out....then it has to get in also....which means there is no way its waterproof!!!!

There are two issues here, and you are conflating them. One issue is the interface between the head and battery tube, the other is the exterior seals. The head is not hermetically sealed, so any time you open the tube to charge your cells, you can introduce moisture into the tube. It can then work its way into the head. This is a tiny amount of moisture, though, and so far as I know, it has never caused an actual problem for anyone. It is basically a cosmetic defect, that goes away after a short period. Not anything to get worked up about, in my opinion. I don't know whether my TK75 has a condensation issue or not, but it has worked flawlessly from day 1, so frankly I don't care much either way.

When you have your light sealed, battery tube tight, the O-rings in tail, tube, and head keep water out completely. I have read a fair bit about this light, and never has anyone had problems with water ingress when the light is sealed (to my knowledge). It is definitely water resistant, to any reasonable standard. Unlike some lights which are hit or miss, it lives up to its IPX-8 rating.

If the idea of condensation still bothers you, do what Capolini has done. Buy a few silica gel packets, and leave a fresh one in the tube. It will most likely solve the problem.

Also, be aware this issue is not just with the TK75. Other posters have found similar issues with other lights, but as I explained above, it is just a consequence of the design. Typically flashlight heads are not hermetically sealed, because they don't need to be. A small amount of moisture is no big deal. There is a moisture inside your PC, too, and it doesn't do any harm.

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
By goodness. I think I am getting to close to being a flashaholic.....cause I understood EVERYTHING you said PERFECTLY. Of course, much credit goes to your style of writing thedoc007, you seem to have a PERFECT blend of techno talk and correct terminology, mixed with lay mans terms and down to earth speaking, which of course equals a VERY articulate and understandable reply. My hats off to you and I bow. Not to sound condescending, but GREAT JOB at a reply. Thank you SIR!!!

cheaperrooter

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered it, based soley on your reply. I have to say, I think I got a dang good deal, if I dont mind patting myself on the back. AMAZON, believe it or not. Here's what I got for $349.95. The NEW 2900 Tk75, an Extra battey Tube with battery magazine, 8-Fenix ARB-L2, 2-nightcore 4 bay chargers and little freebies not worth much money wise, but still, 2-123a batteries, 2 double aa batteries and 2 aaa batteries and a Red Smith & Wesson LED CaraBeamer Clip Light. Quick math by doing ebay searches, google searches and Amazon searches yielded, buying SEPERATELY mind you from all the cheapest possible sources, around $400. Couldnt compare kits as now one was offering a kit this huge, especially the extra tube which I wanted very badly. Should give me around 2 1/2 hours runtime in turbo...maybe a little more according to some posts. That is worth its weight in gold to me as you're hiking around at night as I do. My ONLY fear? It will just make my newly purchased 2-PD35's look like a candle...