TK61, TK41, TK35(UE?), or Maelstrom MM-X with Burst Mode

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I am looking to buy a new light but am not sure what I want. First off: I own a quark x123^2 tactical with a neutral emitter (love it) and I own the maelstrom MM-X (XM-L). I am considering the following lights and here is why:

TK61
Pro: Furthest thrower of them all. Very high output. CR123 cells.
Con: That tight of a beam seems very impractical.

TK41
Pro: Should be a much better thrower then my maelstrom. Twice the output is good too. This also uses AA cells which I think complements my CR123 lights very well.
Con: Seems too large for me to use on a regular basis. Probably won't take it camping. I am also afraid the tight beam will make it impracticable. I tend to see AA batteries as a con, as they always seem to leak on me.

TK35:
Pro: Much more compact light then the TK41 but should still have better throw then the MM-X. Shares batteries with my other lights. Also has a turbo mode of 900 Lumen.
Con: No ultra low low-mode

TK35UE:
Pro: Compact. Massive output! WOW! Is floody a pro or a con? Could be excellent for hiking at night or taking walks.
Con: Emitter seems to be less efficient then the XM-L2.

MM-X:
Pro: Know and love the light. Twice the output of my MM-X.
Con: already have an MM-X.

As you can see I am comparing apples to oranges and don't know which I would prefer. I wish I could try them all, but money is finite.

What do you think about tighter beams vs. floody beams? Do you ever find that you leave your larger lights at home, preferring a smaller light to take walking, hiking, camping, basement fixing? In general what do you think of the TK35UE, this might be the most interesting light (if I decide against the idea of a thrower).

Thanks in advanced, for sharing your thoughts.

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi, once You get a TK35 its such a perfect allrounder that You just use it a lot. In 90% of the situations prefer to have a flooder and this comes with the benefit of putting out a lot of light in the 900 lumen version, can´t vote yet for the ultimate edition, too new. The modes are well spaced, due to the 2x18650´s You have power and runtime reserves which come in handy and are reliable inside or outside the house. Normally use it on medium or low for all tasks but it has the benefit of really a lot of floody light when You need it or to show off. The provided lanyard is well done and is a must. Ends up feeling good in the hand and the double buttons at the rear are really easy to use: very (very) quickly going through the modes is a joy as the smaller button is very agreeable to use with just 1mm way to go and exactly the right amount of resistance. Feels solid. SOS and strobe are very well hidden so You never hit them by accident. In my opinion this would be the one to get first, it would also be a flashlight I would highly recommend anytime for all kinds of uses, the others are more specialized.

ven

Flashaholic
Pretty varied lights there,size wise too.

tk61 has usable flood even though a thrower.

Compared to the tk35 it's considerably larger,no pocket carry there.

Different cells,AA and li ion,it's just a too varied list .

Tighter beams,floody beams is down to personal preference and use.

On your list...
For a general use light I would be looking at the tk35ue or even the tk35 ,more carry friendly.More easy to use on long hikes....

I would look into a tk75 as this offers food throw and flood in a package........ :D

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Pretty varied lights there,size wise too.

tk61 has usable flood even though a thrower.

Compared to the tk35 it's considerably larger,no pocket carry there.

Different cells,AA and li ion,it's just a too varied list .

Tighter beams,floody beams is down to personal preference and use.

On your list...
For a general use light I would be looking at the tk35ue or even the tk35 ,more carry friendly.More easy to use on long hikes....

I would look into a tk75 as this offers food throw and flood in a package........ :D

I know: apples to oranges. There is no comparing the lights as they all fill a different purpose. I am just not sure what purpose I want to fill with my next light. Let me ask you: if you could only have one from that list, or the TK75, which would you pick?

Hi, once You get a TK35 its such a perfect allrounder that You just use it a lot. In 90% of the situations prefer to have a flooder and this comes with the benefit of putting out a lot of light in the 900 lumen version, can´t vote yet for the ultimate edition, too new. The modes are well spaced, due to the 2x18650´s You have power and runtime reserves which come in handy and are reliable inside or outside the house. Normally use it on medium or low for all tasks but it has the benefit of really a lot of floody light when You need it or to show off. The provided lanyard is well done and is a must. Ends up feeling good in the hand and the double buttons at the rear are really easy to use: very (very) quickly going through the modes is a joy as the smaller button is very agreeable to use with just 1mm way to go and exactly the right amount of resistance. Feels solid. SOS and strobe are very well hidden so You never hit them by accident. In my opinion this would be the one to get first, it would also be a flashlight I would highly recommend anytime for all kinds of uses, the others are more specialized.

Nightflash,

Thank you very much for the reply. I was hoping to get an honest discussion of the utility of different form factors. Now you refer to the TK35 as a flooder. Am I mistaken to think it throws further then the MM-X? Still is a difficult choice even if I only consider the TK35 and the TK35UE (what an impressive light output).

thanks to both of you for your replies.

ven

Flashaholic
I know: apples to oranges. There is no comparing the lights as they all fill a different purpose. I am just not sure what purpose I want to fill with my next light. Let me ask you: if you could only have one from that list, or the TK75, which would you pick?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a difficult one!!! i like difficult ones as it means i have to waffle now:p

I dont have a standard tk61 ,its a tk61vn so de-domed and over 1700lm so standard light=great,modded=awesome
I dont have a standard tk75,its a tk75vn,dome on,4400lm.

Now for an overall use light the tk75 is better imho than the tk61 which is more a dedicated thrower,down side is size,its BIG and comes with a shoulder strap.
I love it,it actually has usable flood so not a 1 trick pony...............its a stallion:D

tk75 has a good ballance,throws very well,with good flood out of the box,also its a more compact size(not small but on the bigger size of medium light which packs a punch)

Presuming standard we have 1000lm single led and a large deep reflector
Presuming standard we have 2900lm 3x leds in smaller more shallow reflectors in comparson

Size comparison
tk75vn /tk50/tk51/tk61vn

same again but reflectors

tk61vn at around 80m

close up of the tk61vn ,notice flood which is very usable

tk61 comes with strap

This is a little size comparison with tm15 and 47s x3vn

Poor conditions at around 150m with tk75vn

tk61vn

So i cant tell you which,i love both in different ways,but for an overall,all round light modded or not then imho the tk75 makes more sense,good at everything,smaller too so easier to carry:twothumbs

tk75vn next to the tm15(another good light too and can charge cells in the light)

tk75vn and tm15..........that end the light comes out of:D

Quite a size difference on the tk75vn .
:D

ven

Flashaholic
Too add,the tk75 and tk61 can be used with extensions,so extra run times(more than doubled) ,can use more than 1 extender too;)

Pics of shots are not best,tbh i struggle with distance as the tk61vn will reach 1400yds.......... i struggle with over 250yds at time with mist/fog

So actual pics are very very rough idea of the beams,on a clear night they would be far better,also with right camera,better results would be had.

Have a look in the review section,selfbuil has reviews on both(2600lm on the tk75 though which is now 2900lm)

If consider one of these i would 100% consider a vn version,beefed up carrier and other mods,different tint options,in short a custom light,superior over the standard version if you really want a WOW factor!!!

Just thoughts,selfbuilt has just reviewed vinhs tk61vn recently too :cool:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK35 + Phaserburn DC Fix light diffusing film.
It will make the low mode of 15 lumens more useable.

gothed

Newly Enlightened

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a difficult one!!! i like difficult ones as it means i have to waffle now:p

I dont have a standard tk61 ,its a tk61vn so de-domed and over 1700lm so standard light=great,modded=awesome
I dont have a standard tk75,its a tk75vn,dome on,4400lm.

Now for an overall use light the tk75 is better imho than the tk61 which is more a dedicated thrower,down side is size,its BIG and comes with a shoulder strap.
I love it,it actually has usable flood so not a 1 trick pony...............its a stallion:D

tk75 has a good ballance,throws very well,with good flood out of the box,also its a more compact size(not small but on the bigger size of medium light which packs a punch)

Presuming standard we have 1000lm single led and a large deep reflector
Presuming standard we have 2900lm 3x leds in smaller more shallow reflectors in comparson

Size comparison
tk75vn /tk50/tk51/tk61vn

same again but reflectors

tk61vn at around 80m

close up of the tk61vn ,notice flood which is very usable

tk61 comes with strap

This is a little size comparison with tm15 and 47s x3vn

Poor conditions at around 150m with tk75vn

tk61vn

So i cant tell you which,i love both in different ways,but for an overall,all round light modded or not then imho the tk75 makes more sense,good at everything,smaller too so easier to carry:twothumbs

tk75vn next to the tm15(another good light too and can charge cells in the light)

tk75vn and tm15..........that end the light comes out of:D

Quite a size difference on the tk75vn .
:D

Thanks for your thoughts valuable information there. I have already studied the reviews by selfbuild. You had to weigh in just when I decided on the TK35. :hairpull:

How about a Thrunite TN35?

Well. That is a very nice light. I like the large reflector on the MT-G2. This one might be a bit too expensive for me, haven't spend more then 100 buck son a single light yet.

TK35 + Phaserburn DC Fix light diffusing film.
It will make the low mode of 15 lumens more useable.

Wouldn't better results be achieved with the TK35UE?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't better results be achieved with the TK35UE?

Fenix has 3 revisions of the TK35 before the TK35ue: xm-l T6, xm-l U2 (this one added higher traction IIRC), xm-l2 U2.
So if you were looking to buy used, aren't the prices around $50, 60, 70.
The TK35ue only advantage is the momentary burst mode (which isn't well regulated).
I'd rather have the smaller steps of 15, 125, 375, 900 than 25, 250, 750.
And you'd have just as beautiful beam with the application of the DC fix, and retain more throw than the TK35ue (unless you prefer the 5000K cool-white over the more extreme cool-white of the regular TK35)

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Fenix has 3 revisions of the TK35 before the TK35ue: xm-l T6, xm-l U2 (this one added higher traction IIRC), xm-l2 U2.
So if you were looking to buy used, aren't the prices around $50, 60, 70.
The TK35ue only advantage is the momentary burst mode (which isn't well regulated).
I'd rather have the smaller steps of 15, 125, 375, 900 than 25, 250, 750.
And you'd have just as beautiful beam with the application of the DC fix, and retain more throw than the TK35ue (unless you prefer the 5000K cool-white over the more extreme cool-white of the regular TK35)

Do I understand you correctly: you are pointing out that the 1800 lumen mode is not a usable mode (for the intended purpose of this light I accept that argument).

<strike>I seem to be most turned on to the TN35 right now. Although that is a bit pricey. That light however seems to offer a good balance between flood and throw. (I don't like multi-emitter lights. No particular reason)</strike>
EDIT: Just found out the TN only runs on rechargeable, big no-no for me.

Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

Patt

Enlightened
Hi, :wave: ven's wright...a TK75 (much flood and throw..) would be a best choice for you I think but..if you can't spend way more than $100 than I'll suggest you a TK35UE ... has orange-peel (raw) reflector with MT-G2 LED...very bright and much flood but not many throw..(242meters)..but allready after 5mins it steps down from Turbo-mode...I'll presume..you don't use Turbo-mode all the time..? :huh2:Than it's not an issue...? Otherwise...if you want a heavy and usable flashlight..there's also the "modded" Eagletac S200C2vn with XML2 CREE from Vinh... :oops: :cool::D Awesome pocket-flashlight..(much throw and useable spill)...for

about $120.. ? :clap::oops::thumbsup: (good luck with your choice...hope this helped a little...?) :bow::wave:

Patt

Enlightened
Hi ven:wave:,very nice collection you have and awesome pics bro..:goodjob::thumbsup::clap: ...I think (as I can see..) The TK61vn is a real beast..? :wow: (sorry for beiing off topic a moment..) :aaa::banned:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own TK61 and TK35 860 lumens (mod XM-L2 NW)

Among the lights you listed I choose TK35 XM-L2
Reason: small size but great power and autonomy
Not too large can be brought along without any problems.
The beam is a perfect compromise between Throw and Flood
I think the old TK35 (XM-L and XM-L2) is a must

The new version TK35 UE could be interesting but I am not convinced for the limited throw

The TK61 is a great torch but it is specific for the throw. Its dimensions are not for everyday use.
But in my experience the lights are too large often tend to stay at home.
Those of small and medium-sized and are used most frequently are those that give more satisfaction
Of course, everything depends on what you need to make

(Translate with Google Translator)

wl4k.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Hi ven:wave:,very nice collection you have and awesome pics bro..:goodjob::thumbsup::clap: ...I think (as I can see..) The TK61vn is a real beast..? :wow: (sorry for beiing off topic a moment..) :aaa::banned:

Hi Patt:welcome: yes it is,not an edc thats for sure :laughing: well unless you have really deep pockets or strong shoulders :laughing: