To LEO's, how much light do you really need?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my M6 Rechargable has a Low Output Lamp Assembly option for general use and I can swap it out for the Lumens Factory HO-M6R which will give me a solid 400-450 lumens out-the-front (OTF or Torch Lumens) and with one hell of a throw for about 35 to 45 minutes. I find its enough to use effectively for a spotter.

However that being said the M6 is relatively old tech that is being adapted and modded by people to extend its life and usefullness. Personally I am waiting for the Surefire M3LT to be released so I can size it up as my M6`s successor.

The M3LT is alleged to have around 400 OTF lumens focused in a TIR lens for one hell of a throw monster. Its also powered by 3 CR123A`s so it saves cost over the M6 and has the same output.

Have you looked at the Lumens Factory Seraph P7? It is a turbo head for the M6. However you can run it on a M3 body on 3 primaries. It puts out 850 lumens. I got a guy here switched over. He is a LEO in Socal. i showed it to him in person and he was hooked. I would highly recommend it. It is only like $100 and a great upgrade. Mine runs on two 18650s. Or it can run on the 6x primary MB20.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
It's 0400hrs and I just got home from work. I have a Surefire X200 on my pistol, an SL20X in the car, a Fenix TK20 on my belt and a Quark AA Tactical in my pocket.

No matter how many lumens a light puts out....It'll scatter the "bad guys" like cockroaches. If you wanna find 'em...You find 'em in the dark.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
It's 0400hrs and I just got home from work. I have a Surefire X200 on my pistol, an SL20X in the car, a Fenix TK20 on my belt and a Quark AA Tactical in my pocket.

No matter how many lumens a light puts out....It'll scatter the "bad guys" like cockroaches. If you wanna find 'em...You find 'em in the dark.

What holster are you carrying the TK20 with?

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
What holster are you carrying the TK20 with?
I've been using my ASP baton holder since I've been carrying the ASP in my sap pocket. I used to carry the TK20 in my sap pocket with the clip or the factory nylon holster on my belt...The seat wore a hole in the factory holster and I decided Io'd rather have the light on my belt over the ASP.

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Guess I gotta be the dissenting voice.

I think it is easier, in my environment to get too many lumens than not enough. Mostly Urban, with some street lighting in some places, and not in others like many of your jurisdictions. I have found Surefire 6Rs to be adequate at 50 Lumens (just barely) and have used a 8AX for the last several years at 110 lumens. I probably do more building searches in a shift than many of you guys (canine handlers excepted) because I have keys to almost 98% of the alarmed buildings in my primary jurisdiction. So almost ALL alarm responses get a full blown building search.

If you look at the beamshots in the reviews, you may see that the center of the hot spot gets whited out as you up the light. This is too much light for the situation. When you start to lose the ability to focus on what is in the dead center of the light, the light may be doing you more harm than good by concealing what you want to see. Also, if you "accidentally" blind drivers during traffic stops, like I do, too much light will lead to problems when the driver gets their retinas fried by too many (by my guess, above 150) lumens.

When my late AX died this last week, I had to do some looking. I settled on an adjustable LED with a medium setting rated at 110 Lumens (emitter, I hope to get about 90 OTF). I intend to carry the light in that mode, with the high setting (probably 230 ish out the front) held in reserve for when I need the extra light.

That said, I carry a mix of lights. In order of usefulness: 8AX (until this week) as an always there backup light, soon to be replaced by an LED Olight M20 R5. Streamlight SL20, as a primary light, but even as a primary light it gets used about half the time the belt light does. Surefire X200A on the .45. Surefire 6P with P61 lamp in shock isolated bezel on the AR. Surefire A2, which is my off duty light, but is held in reserve "just in case". I have a mix of LEDs and incandescent, and am very happy.

These work for me, based on my experience.

pat

Last edited:

pilote

Newly Enlightened
my brother the Fed has been using his 6P a long time and perfectly happy with it...i gave him a m60L to put in there and he's more impressed with the runtime rather than higher lumen output...

utlgoa

Enlightened
Nothing lights up the interior of a motor vehicle during night time traffic stops than the Elektrolumen Triple Cree MCE Modified C-Cell Flashlight. It has over 2000 Lumen. I would only use the light when acting as "backup". It's to bright to shine directly at the driver.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
OSP doesn't issue its recruits lights? (You might want to wait a bit to see what he gets issued and/or what the other troopers are using.)

This is what I'm concerned about, although belatedly, judging by the post dates.

Some jurisdictions mandate the parameters of what officers can and cannot carry - I hope the present was well received and useful.

Good luck to him and you - being family of a cop is almost as hard as being a cop.

-Trevor

uknewbie

Banned
M1X with TK11 R2 as backup now.

There are very few situations I think where the M1X would not be good enough. Great throw, spill, runtime, reliable with strobe if you want it. I have found this very very good on nights. Blows away most others and all the standard junk that forces in the UK seem to issue is not worth carrying.

I don't think colour rendition is a problem, and even if it were, it doesn't matter to me on duty, I am more concerned with seeing if there is someone there or not.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EagleTac T100C2 MKII is becoming increasingly popular among the LEOs I work with. I personally carry a TK10 but the T100C2 is definitely more affordable. The Jetbeam M1X is a good choice in the car which is a nice, cheaper alternative to the SF M3T that I've always had a lot of respect for but just couldn't justify putting up the money to purchase one.

Is it common practice for the dept to pay for the larger streamlights, but not the duty belt lights?

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
My dept pays for a cheapo $1.99 D cell light they don't expect anyone to actually use.

I picked up an Eagletac P20A2 MKII a little while back and have been carrying it daily for over a month now. I use it with eneloop rechargeables and have yet to switch the original set out. Of course, I only used it for a week on nights then I switched back to day shift and haven't used it nearly as much. I have, however, been totally satisfied with the run time on the eneloops.

I agree with the above post that lumen overkill can be a hindrance to effective room clearing. I like my TK20, but thought that the throw might be a bit much, too "hot" a spot. I ordered the P20A2 with the OP reflector and WOW! It's a perfect even beam with a larger hotspot that's bright but not too bright...and good spill. I like the easy access to three brightness modes and that the strobe/etc. is hidden.

I now carry my Eagletac in the sap pocket, my Streamlight Microstream in my shirt pocket, and the SL20X comes out when I can carry a flashlight but can't carry a baton or sap. I'm thinking really hard about the new multi-mode high-lumen terralux upgrade for the SL20X...Might make the SL20X just that more useful.

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
I'm in border patrol and I'll breakdown what I use:
Mag 2-c with malkoff, I run a 2x18650 and 11 watt bulb when I feel saucy, but I'm a little turned off since it fell a few feet on it's tail and broke the filiment. Good general purpose either way. Great throw with the Mal and a monster with the incan setup. Decent runtime with either.

Next I have a Quark 2AA tactical on my belt, I appreciate the super low when I don't want to advertise my presence, and then run high on the other head position for general needs. Easy to use and versatile.

Third is a Tiablo a-9, sometimes with the aspheric, I like to have the monster throw for checking out far away structures and for blinding at long range.

Recently aqquired a ELEKTROLUMENS Decree, it just rides in my pocket for floody needs, puts out a wall of light. Built like a tank. Could be my only light for most needs but then I'm addicted to flash-a-hol:)

Also have a fulton anglehead with a 1watt led and red filter for night vision pres, and a headlight for changing tires and such. One or two nitecore's as back up as well.

Now that thats thu, I want a low-low, a useful medium for general use, ie 100 lumens, and 250-350 lumens for business time. I don't think there's a thing as too much, at least in reserve. As previous posters said, nature and weather eat up light, and out where I work, needing to signal at long distance is a factor as well.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G3L Kit. I have since changed out the tailcap to a Z49 and the LE to a Malkoff M60. P60L just wasn't bright enough for me but lasted a long time on a set of 3 cells.

Everyone is different according to what their dept. allows them to use and where they work. So the amount of light the LEO needs depends on the situation. But having some light is better than having no light.

11b30b4

Newly Enlightened
I have used the stinger XT on duty for over 10 years. I like the amount of light it projects, the size it is, the available holster options, and the fact that it is rechargeable. I have no need to upgrade anytime soon; however I now carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 and I have a Blackhawk Xiphos mounted on it. I like the combination not necessarily the Xiphos specifically but the usefulness of having a light mounted on the weapon frees up my non-firing hand to grasp the weapon properly. I find myself pulling out my weapon and using the flashlight on it more than I use XT. Think about it, if i am going to have a need for a light (such as searching a house, that has a kicked in door) i will want to have my weapon drawn anyway. So to answer your question, this setup for me works well.
Just my 2 cents

curtispdx

Enlightened
I have used the stinger XT on duty for over 10 years. I like the amount of light it projects, the size it is, the available holster options, and the fact that it is rechargeable. I have no need to upgrade anytime soon; however I now carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 and I have a Blackhawk Xiphos mounted on it. I like the combination not necessarily the Xiphos specifically but the usefulness of having a light mounted on the weapon frees up my non-firing hand to grasp the weapon properly. I find myself pulling out my weapon and using the flashlight on it more than I use XT. Think about it, if i am going to have a need for a light (such as searching a house, that has a kicked in door) i will want to have my weapon drawn anyway. So to answer your question, this setup for me works well.
Just my 2 cents

I remember when the weapon-mounted lights first appeared. Our training folks really didn't want to adopt them right away because, I heard, they were concerned that somebody would use them in place of a flashlight. Tell you the truth, I can see that happening. Anyway, we have them now as an option. (If anybody is wondering, I decided against it.)

You should really consider replacing the Stinger. ;)

11b30b4

Newly Enlightened
Well from my range staff's perspective, they are concerned that a weapon light attached to the weapon could present some hazards in rapid drawing from the holster, but I feel training is all that is needed. As for using the weapon light as a "flash light" yes that does happen and honestly i do not see an issue with it. Where I police we are a very proactive and aggressive department. Drawing your weapon does not constitute a use of force report like in some other departments. We would be covered in paperwork. Anyway Whats wrong with the stinger? its reliable and does what I need it to do. I have looked at other lights but I just dont have a need to upgrade. But thanks for the insight.

As for using the weapon light as a "flash light" yes that does happen and honestly i do not see an issue with it. Where I police we are a very proactive and aggressive department.

:faint: Can I simply ask what city/country you work in? I'd be putting myself on the evening news for anyone who would listen if an officer encountered me in the dark, with only his gun mounted light, pointed at me for as long as he was speaking to me. That sounds rather dangerous not to mention unprofessional.

curtispdx

Enlightened
:faint: Can I simply ask what city/country you work in? I'd be putting myself on the evening news for anyone who would listen if an officer encountered me in the dark, with only his gun mounted light, pointed at me for as long as he was speaking to me. That sounds rather dangerous not to mention unprofessional.

This has gone off topic a bit but I don't think that's a scenario he meant. (At least I hope not. :eek: )

Latest posts