Top 3 Single Cell AA lights

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... Not much talk about the ZebraLight SC52w? Seems like a very nice light. Any cons to this model? What's the lumen output using LiON?

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. AA Haiku 119V - It is a McGizmo that runs on an Enegizer Lithium or Eneloop. Nice beam with a little throw and a beautiful tint. I've only had this a couple of weeks and, although it hasn't replaced my Haiku 3S XML, it is really nice. I like the size/shape of the AA pak.

2. L3 Illumination L10 Nichia 219 or XP-G2 - Nice beam, runs on AA primaries, Eneloops or Li-ion (for more output). Good value light, especially if you want to try a Nichia 219 and understand what all the raves are about. Hint: Don't get the white because it is paint and chips easily. I prefer the L10 to the Xeno E03 because it is smaller, has a nicer beam and supports li-ions.

3. Zebralight H502D - Very small. The angle head and pure flood beam make it a great work light. The UI is not as complicated as the descriptions make it sound. L is very low and great for close up work. Does not support Li-ions.

4. Maratac copper AA modded by Vinh with an XP-G2 4000k - I prefer the AAA, but this light is fun. I love running it on H with an li-ion and feeling the whole thing heat up. And the L is lower on the AA than the AAA.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
500 ANSI lm with 14500 but only a one minute burst before reverting to high. 320lm with L91. 280lm with alkaline or NiMh.

A fair number of complaints about a greenish tint on the W is the only prevelent complaint I've seen.

The 2013 model Eagletac D25A XML2-U2 reports 750 led lumens with 14500. Toasty.

Hmm... Not much talk about the ZebraLight SC52w? Seems like a very nice light. Any cons to this model? What's the lumen output using LiON?

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Strumento

Newly Enlightened
1. Nitecore MH1A (550 lumens; usb rechargable)
2. Sunwayman V10A (Infinite variable)
3. Spark SL5 (Side/Tail switch; available in NW)

Best Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think about the Pelican 1910. I know it is not very bright but for EDC and it is forward clicky.. I don't own one yet but was thinking about buying one just to have around.

Trevilux

Enlightened
Top AA: (an AA must be a compact flashlight EDC should not have pretensions of being tactical flashlight.)
1.- Zebralight SC52 (the better regulation and power)
2.- Xtar WK41 (Simple interface, low and very low battery warning with all types of chemical, 2.8V cut)
3.- EagleTac D25A clicky XP-G2.

(4.- Olight S15, ......Sorry S15, only allowed Top 3 :shrug:)

ua0gR7S.jpg

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top AA: (an AA must be a compact flashlight EDC should not have pretensions of being tactical flashlight.)
1.- Zebralight SC52 (the better regulation and power)
2.- Xtar WK41 (Simple interface, low and very low battery warning with all types of chemical, 2.8V cut)
3.- EagleTac D25A clicky XP-G2.

(4.- Olight S15, ......Sorry S15, only allowed Top 3 :shrug:)

ua0gR7S.jpg

Nice post @Trevilux! Especially for a n00b :)
Great photo too!

Sofastreamer

Newly Enlightened
just keeping this thread alive:

1. Malkoff MDC HA AA because of toughness, easy ui, perfekt beam with xp-g2 lowest low, i know even lower the quarks and thrunite.
2. not sure yet, just got the nitecore srt3 today, and it has a good chance to be second best
3. Dereelight Javelin X-RE EZ900 drop in and c2h body with aa extender. smallest thrower available for single aa.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gang! Looks like it's about that time to update or get my lumen fix :)

What are the brightest super-lights using a single AA battery right now. Is the T6 emitter the top photon torpedo blaster or something else?

What do you think are the top 3 candidates for the following;

Who's got the brightest and smoothest white beam with;

1. Single battery AA
2. Can use both primary or L-ion [edit]
3. At least two levels of output
4. Factory or custom ok
5. Regulated

List your top three
Comments why or specs optional

Thanks for playing... again! :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is an important thread and one where the list of contenders will be ever changing as we inch along the upgrade path of emitters, circuits, and UI's.

I'm still giving heavy use to a few samples of the SC51w (I have the SC52W, but for some reason I'm still preferring the 51's) as well as the SWM V11R and Eagletac D25A clickies. Aside from the ZL SC51, I continue to prefer lights which will run on the 14500, with AA envelops and alkalines as fall-back options.

I continue to look forward to that next incrementally better, brighter, more-endearing model to unexpectedly come around the corner.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Still wishing Henry would make a slimmed down Clicky in AA, or Rotary! Do them in titanium for a reasonable price and I'd be all over it.

dml24

Newly Enlightened
I agree with OC, the Olight i2 is underated. Very simple and well made single AA light. Does not try to over achieve with a short run high lumen output turbo setting. 75 lumens is a good compromise for a single AA light. The 2 lumen low is useful.

The Fenix Fenix LD12 CREE S2 and E11 both offer high outputs with 100+ lumens and decent run times very tough and reliable AA lights.

Based on price as primary factor here are my three picks:

1- Olight i2
2- Fenix E11
3- Fenix LD12

A10ACN

Newly Enlightened
Newb here, following closely...

Thanks to recommendations on CPF, I picked up the NiteCore SRT3. Very pleased. Takes AA or 123s. 550 Lms. Super easy twist UI to set it how you want it and simple to change. No 'twist 3 times, then ½ twist back, rub belly, turn to the right, raise left leg' to get an instant low or high. Seems to be suitably robust. So far, so pleased.

RTR882

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised that nobody has suggested the Armytek A1. Very rugged, very bright even on a primary cell and wow with a 14500. Simple low -high and man does it throw far for a AA light. Also fond of my Eagletac clicky and for the collectors, my Tain Flute with trits :)

Latest posts