Toyota headlight longevity

Qship1996

Enlightened
Wonder how far ahead the cibies would have been if you had 85/80 or 100/90W bulbs in them.

da.gee

Enlightened
Just as a data point, my 05 4Runner has burnt one DRL in five years, 75,000 miles. No burn outs with headlights. Perhaps there is something amiss with your electrical.

Thanks for giving me new ideas! Who is a reputable vendor for 9012 bulbs?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my side by side tests with other lights, it came in second.
That's LUX measured on cones on each side of the road placed at 25, 50, & 75 yards. The only light to beat it was a set of Cibie Z-Beams with Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs.
The Speakers toasted the Truck-Lights, IPF, stock Jeep, & Hellas.
The Hellas won the raw lumen in a straight line contest though. But the Speakers even came in second there too.

Although anecdotes are not data, Hilldweller's testing illustrates my point: Bulb lumens is not a measure (or even predictor) of the actual performance of a headlight.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Although anecdotes are not data, Hilldweller's testing illustrates my point: Bulb lumens is not a measure (or even predictor) of the actual performance of a headlight.

Although it is a VERY important part of the overall performance...........take a cibie z beam and put a h4 bulb with 900 lumen output and compare it to a h4 bulb with 1500 lumen output in the same lamp, the higher lumen bulb will provide much better overall lighting.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Although it is a VERY important part of the overall performance...........take a cibie z beam and put a h4 bulb with 900 lumen output and compare it to a h4 bulb with 1500 lumen output in the same lamp, the higher lumen bulb will provide much better overall lighting.
If you have the luxury of a selection of bulbs and the wiring to handle them.

I've got the wiring now but I'm sorta at a loss for replacement bulbs...

I had posted a 7" headlight shootout on here but it got buggered badly when the server failed recently. Here it is on JeepForum; there's a side by side between a Phillips Xtreme Power bulb and one sent to me by Delta. Some other sorta related data.
Should be interesting to anybody that has a fixation on automotive lighting.

Qship1996

Enlightened
If you have the luxury of a selection of bulbs and the wiring to handle them.

I've got the wiring now but I'm sorta at a loss for replacement bulbs...

I had posted a 7" headlight shootout on here but it got buggered badly when the server failed recently. Here it is on JeepForum; there's a side by side between a Phillips Xtreme Power bulb and one sent to me by Delta. Some other sorta related data.
Should be interesting to anybody that has a fixation on automotive lighting.

For your Cibie Z beams? how about the osram 70/65, 85/80 or the Narva 100/90 ? All would produce more light than the philips extremes I would think.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, it's not. Control of the light is much more important.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
For your Cibie Z beams? how about the osram 70/65, 85/80 or the Narva 100/90 ? All would produce more light than the philips extremes I would think.
The Z-Beams were used with Phillips Xtreme Power 60/55 and with Osram Rallye 70/65; the Osrams ruled.

OTOH, I used both bulbs in the Hella reflector and liked the pattern better from the Phillips bulbs; as Alaric says, the focus was the difference or something. It was just easier to see to the sides of the road.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
oh brother.....guess you are running stock lumen output bulbs in your car then- I seriously doubt that.Some just like to talk I guess?
No, he knows his stuff.
What he's saying is that lumens alone are useless. Control of fewer lumens can net more light where you need it.

Case in point, look at my test for the IPF headlights vs Hellas or Cibie. You can use the same bulb in all three and have very different amounts of light where you'd like to have it.

If you level the playing field and use the same reflector, sometimes it's still a match to be won by the better built bulb. In general what you said is true but it isn't the only factor to consider. My Speakers work better than many higher lumen lights.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I agree with the control of lumens.......re-read my post and his response to it. Again,having a cibie z beam with 1500 lumens will outperform the same headlamp using a 900 lumen bulb........ good god, it was crystal clear.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh brother.....guess you are running stock lumen output bulbs in your car then- I seriously doubt that.Some just like to talk I guess?

I'm running Philips X-Treme Power 9006s in the Corolla, and Philips X-Treme Power in the Previa.

However, I'm just using those good bulbs to make my good headlights better; putting high output bulbs in bad headlights can make them worse, if the thing that's bad about them is poor glare control.

I agree with the control of lumens.......re-read my post and his response to it. Again,having a cibie z beam with 1500 lumens will outperform the same headlamp using a 900 lumen bulb........ good god, it was crystal clear.

Yes, posts #18 and #19 (with #19 quoting your post). Those posts concern you giving the JW Speaker bad marks because they have low lumen output, and my explaining that lumen output is not a good predictor of headlight performance.

Also, certain bulbs may produce more lumens, yet have a lower filament luminance and have a very sloppy beam pattern due to the size of the filament, making the performance lower in some respects. A good headlight assembly still needs a good bulb to work effectively.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I was referring to my post #24, and your response to that post you made{post 28}.....,but you knew that,right?