Tri EDC vs. SST-50 EDC.

mustang90

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to get on the next list for one of the two mac lights. Either the Tri EDC or the SST-50 EDC. How will these two lights compare in both lux and lumens?

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Did you know on macs web site he has the 50 edc available to buy now with a 4 week wait?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw them on the website, but thanks for the info about the wait time. Have any specs or beam shots been posted for the Tri?

Beam shots HERE - scroll down to posts 81 and 85. As for specs, I think Mac posted some specs HERE. I personally can't wait to get my two to check them in my sphere- and hoping Bigchelis gets one to test - he has a much more accurate sphere.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Beam shots HERE - scroll down to posts 81 and 85. As for specs, I think Mac posted some specs HERE. I personally can't wait to get my two to check them in my sphere- and hoping Bigchelis gets one to test - he has a much more accurate sphere.

Man this is going to be cool. I keep running around the house with my 6p/Malkoff M61 drop in telling the wife this is 240 lumens and imagine what 700 looks like. :sssh:

scout24

Flashaholic
Mustang90- Personal observation is that the SST-50 has an actual hotspot and wide, ample spill, a "traditional" flashlight beam where you get decent throw and diminishing sidespill the further you go towards the end of the beam pattern. Tri-EDC is a big honkin' wall of light, same intensity from edge to edge, nice throw, and has a much lower low level if that is important to you. Most usable indoors, where the SST-50 on low is a bit much on low inside for me, personally. YMMV. If you like the hotspot, and the more traditional looking beam, SST-50 is for you. Even output from edge to edge, and a lower low, Tri-EDC is for you. Outdoors, the difference in lumens is noticeable, but not huge, you wouldn't be judging either unless you had them side by side. Both put out a TON of light and as such are phenomenal in such a small package. Build quality on both is second to none. Beamshots in Dan's link are very close to what the eye actually sees. Either will blow your socks off. :eek: :thumbsup: Given the chance this evening, I'll try to take a few more pictures. Any requests???

mustang90

Newly Enlightened
Thoughts much appreciated guys! Scout, do you have both lights to compare beam shots side-by-side to get a better visual of the beam dispertion differences? Something out to say 50 yards or so. It sounds like the TRI is more of what I'm after, but I might just have to have both! :naughty:

scout24

Flashaholic
Mustang90- The beamshots referenced by Run4jc are mine, the ones looking at the archery target at 30yds. and treeline just beyond at 35yds. are, respectively, Quark 1x123 R5 on high, Mac's EDC SST-50 2.8A warm on high, and the Tri-EDC warm on high. I can't really get beyond those distances without really aggrivating my neighbors... :eek: :)

SFfanman

Enlightened
Mustang90- Personal observation is that the SST-50 has an actual hotspot and wide, ample spill, a "traditional" flashlight beam where you get decent throw and diminishing sidespill the further you go towards the end of the beam pattern. Tri-EDC is a big honkin' wall of light, same intensity from edge to edge, nice throw, and has a much lower low level if that is important to you. Most usable indoors, where the SST-50 on low is a bit much on low inside for me, personally. YMMV. If you like the hotspot, and the more traditional looking beam, SST-50 is for you. Even output from edge to edge, and a lower low, Tri-EDC is for you. Outdoors, the difference in lumens is noticeable, but not huge, you wouldn't be judging either unless you had them side by side. Both put out a TON of light and as such are phenomenal in such a small package. Build quality on both is second to none. Beamshots in Dan's link are very close to what the eye actually sees. Either will blow your socks off. :eek: :thumbsup: Given the chance this evening, I'll try to take a few more pictures. Any requests???

This is a great summary. :thumbsup: It really sheds light linto the differences. (no pun intended)

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks SF... I'm trying to tread lightly since these are Mac's deal... Side by side, they are both awesome, and you can't go wrong with either. The other consideration is UI... SST-50 is LMH with memory of last mode used, Tri-EDC is HML with no memory, always starts on high. Both are forward clicky, which is my personal preference... :)

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
WooHoo! I didn't realize any were currently available. I had given up hope and went ahead with an order for a custom knife instead of waiting for the next batch of lights, but I said to hell with it and ordered one from the website anyway. Now I gots two goodies heading my way. Gotta start looking for poop to sell now...

Thanks for the heads up on this guys:)

fyrstormer

Banned
Man this is going to be cool. I keep running around the house with my 6p/Malkoff M61 drop in telling the wife this is 240 lumens and imagine what 700 looks like. :sssh:
If she has any sense she smiles that smile and says "yes dear", and if you have any sense you drop the subject after that. Am I right? ;)

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
If she has any sense she smiles that smile and says "yes dear", and if you have any sense you drop the subject after that. Am I right? ;)

She says she listens but its like hearing what she says about where and when we are going places. I guess we are even in the topic of not hearing the details.

I tell her things like the new light came with the last purchase of bullets or better yet because she got a new car it came with a light. :sssh: The problem is once she figures out what I bought she finds something to buy and its time for me to fork over the cash. You should have seen her searching "Tri EDC" trying to figure out what I just bought, lol.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the pill interchangeable between the 2 lights?
I have the SST-50 EDC, can i just buy the internals and swap them out at my convinience? (emitter+ reflector?)

OR can I just buy the top assembly and swap that out?

JMP

Enlightened
You'd Need the tri-edc head. As it's shorter w/ no reflector. I think mac qouted me $100 for am aluminum tri-edc head.

fyrstormer

Banned
She says she listens but its like hearing what she says about where and when we are going places. I guess we are even in the topic of not hearing the details.
As negatively-stereotyped as that sort of thing is, it does mean you trust each other to handle the details of things you're each better at. It's actually a good thing, as long as you're not looking for an in-depth conversation on the topic.

As for the money thing...well, yeah, I guess there's no avoiding a bit of tit-for-tat. Maybe you better just buy her a nice pink Tri-EDC when the next run happens. ;)