Trouble deciding..JetBeam CLE, Proton Pro, or...???

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, Marduke, that you should want to discuss the original purpose of the thread. Of the two of us, I have been the only one to try to add any positive information. I think that you need to revisit the forum prohibitions on trolling. You sir, are a TROLL. You have interjected nothing of value to this thread, except for attacking my first post. That's specifically prohibited. Perhaps you only have a poor bedside manner or don't know any better, but you need to muzzle it.

Here is my second attempt to make a positive contribution to this thread.

On a lighter note, since the OP has decided to purchase a CL-E, it's a fine little light, I've had 9 of them pass through my hands. A couple of observations.

1) The Type III andozing on some of them isn't very good. I have 4 of them left and have not managed to scratch any. I did give one to a buddy of mine back in January, and he had it only for a week or so before his keys gouged it deeply in three places, with another half dozen smaller nicks and scratches. He put it in his pocket on a keyring. That particular example doesn't appear to have anodizing any better than the Type II on the DX light I recommended. In fact, the anodizing on the DX light may be better.

2) Some don't have the LED centered very well, this creates a lopsided beam that I find irritating.

I hope you get a good example of the JB and that their QC has improved. I ordered one from a lesser known HK dealer and got a factory second. Nothing I could do about it, so I've still got it. Point is the only safe outlet for those lights are probably US dealers, or the original JB dealer at HobbynGear, because they'll exchange or refund a light you don't like.

Good luck with your new light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Interesting, Marduke, that you should want to discuss the original purpose of the thread. Of the two of us, I have been the only one to try to add any positive information. I think that you need to revisit the forum prohibitions on trolling. You sir, are a TROLL. You have interjected nothing of value to this thread, except for attacking my first post. That's specifically prohibited. Perhaps you only have a poor bedside manner or don't know any better, but you need to muzzle it.

Check post #3 and get your facts straight. :whistle:

I never attacked you or your post, I simply corrected a mistake so that the incorrect information would not be propagated to new flashaholics. So I would appreciate if you didn't attack me. If you feel that me correcting your mistake was uncalled for, then check all the other times many others have corrected the same "nOOb" mistake.

Dude, don't take it so personal, it's just a flashlight forum.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Marduke,
First off, don't call me 'Dude'. That's designed to annoy, which again is prohibited. RE is sufficient if you don't want to post the full name.

Secondly, I don't agree that you're necessarily correct. You assume that I made a 'mistake', that needs correcting, I disagree. There is a convention in which HA-II is used, it may or may not be technically correct. That assumption and the way you carried out your 'correction' is what makes you a Troll.

Thirdly, I don't believe that you have what it takes to be an authority on the subject.

Fourth, I'm not a 'nOOb'. I've read this forum for almost 4 years, in January of 2007, the search function was disabled for all but members, that's why I joined. I just have a life outside of CPF, and can find better things to do than run up a post count.

Post #3, yeah, that was helpful. I missed it because you didn't quote the entire text of someone else's post first.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke,
First off, don't call me 'Dude'. That's designed to annoy, which again is prohibited. RE is sufficient if you don't want to post the full name.

Secondly, I don't agree that you're necessarily correct. You assume that I made a 'mistake', that needs correcting, I disagree. There is a convention in which HA-II is used, it may or may not be technically correct. That assumption and the way you carried out your 'correction' is what makes you a Troll.

Thirdly, I don't believe that you have what it takes to be an authority on the subject.

Fourth, I'm not a 'nOOb'. I've read this forum for almost 4 years, in January of 2007, the search function was disabled for all but members, that's why I joined. I just have a life outside of CPF, and can find better things to do than run up a post count.

Post #3, yeah, that was helpful. I missed it because you didn't quote the entire text of someone else's post first.

1) Get over yourself

2) HA-II is a mistake, plain and simple. Some people use it incorrectly, but it incorrectly describes type-II as hard anodized. Again, I was just making sure that the fairly common mistake didn't perpetuate itself. There was NO reason to take it personal.... get over yourself

3) And you would know that how?? Last I checked, an Aerospace Engineer usually knows a little bit more about aluminum processing than a "Social Engineer"

4) Learn to read, I never said you were a n00b, I said "HA-II" was a n00b mistake, made by the misinformed.

I corrected one simple mistake (yes, it was a mistake), and you took it personal. Get over yourself...

DM51

Flashaholic
That is quite enough bickering. Stop it. It's a silly argument anyway.

RecycledElectron, you are way too touchy. There is no excuse for your ill-tempered descent into name-calling here. Consider this a warning.

Back on to the topic, please…

MstrHnky

Enlightened
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but did you buy the original cl-e, or v1.2, v2.0?

I bought the cl-e v2 in december and think it's a nice little light, especially for $30. Personally, I think strobe and SOS are worthless and hate having to cycle through them. That's why I'm looking at the NDI, or something from dereelight would be sweet for EDC.

In any case, I have had some problems with the light not turning on every time. When it happens it's completely random, but I have to click it off and on a few times before it turns on. This has happened maybe 5-6 times total, but it's enough to start looking for a new EDC for me. Putting a fresh battery inside didn't alleviate the problem, either.

I haven't heard this happening to other people's cl-e's, so I wouldn't worry about it, just a heads-up.

BTW - jetbeams have a lifetime warranty, and when I contacted bugoutgearusa.com about the issue they said it would be no problem if I wanted to return/exchange it. problem is, I don't think they sell that light any more. I haven't read enough about the new IBS models to know if i want to exchange my cl-e for one.

LG&M

Enlightened
I have the Jetbeam C-LE. I like it very much. It might not be the brightest light around but it works well & the finish has held up. I use it at work so it gets more use then most of my lights. I think you will like it.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Uh, well, Kaidomain lists it as "being in stock", but as you know, that isn't always the case. They have it listed at $33.13 with free shipping. Here is a link

Like I said earlier, it's a nice light for the money, so I hope you can get one for yourself.

bspofford

Enlightened
The quality and UI for the JetBeam IBS series (AAA, 16340, 18650) are great. The NDI isn't as nicely made, and the UI isn't as user friendly. If you're considering a JetBeam IBS, BugoutGear has some good prices for CPF members right now.

geek4christ

Enlightened
problem is, I don't think they sell that light any more.

I actually emailed them about that light just yesterday...their response was:

Forrest,

We're not sure if JETBeam will bring back that model. We are awaiting a response from them and will let you know if they do.

Thank you,
BugoutGearUSA.com

Here's hoping they do start making them again, because I want one too.