TSA is a sham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes, the TSA does make the public feel safe (at least some) and that is part of their function, presenting a sense of security in a high risk target zone. They also however serve function in that they screen, collect intel and information (photo, video, written), deter to some extent, and project to our enemies a state of preparedness. The last one is important, it's known that these 'groups' prob us frequently and communicate to their 'commanders' such. Many of 'their' plans got killed off because a target was 'window dressed' so well.

Again, they're far from perfect, and for many (including myself) a pita sometimes, but necessary (especially now).

BTW, there are lots of things that can present a false sense of security. The lock on your door, the gun in your closet, the knife in the pocket, the car alarm, the police. The list is endless however it doesn't mean those things have no use in providing one with security under the right circumstances.

Honestly, I can't have a thoughful conversation with someone in denial. No offense, not a personal insult at all. My years of experience isn't even the issue. You simply honestly believe what you wish. No amount of experience conveyed from an experienced security officer is going to change that.

Once again, that feeling of security with nothing of substance to back it up will get shattered when the next attack happens because (once again) the TSA doesn't deal with half-hearted punks.

greenlight put it best in the fewest amount of words possible.

Once again, that feeling of security with nothing of substance to back it up will get shattered when the next attack happens because (once again) the TSA doesn't deal with half-hearted punks.

All things considered, passenger planes have become a relatively hard target. I think the next big attack will be on something that doesn't fy.

~ Chance

kwak

Enlightened
I'm glad you are so confident...but you have no way of knowing that. There are rules about discussing any aspect of security with passengers, but TSA agents are human...they like talking about their day at work just as much as anybody else. I know for a fact that some TSA agents talk about this kind of thing from time to time...from personal experience. I actually reminded the agent about the disclosure rules, but she dismissed my concern, said it was no big deal and she wasn't on duty at the time anyway. Just because it says somewhere in a rule book not to talk about it, doesn't mean that it will never happen.

There is absolutely no way they would continue using a detector knowing full well it is not operating correctly.
They would simply switch to another that is working correctly.

If they did knowingly continue to operate a detector that was known to be faulty then they are in breach of the protocols that they are hired to uphold, i have seen people lose their jobs for a LOT less.

I think it is more irresponsible NOT to post a comment. Posting on CPF is hardly the best way...reporting it to someone who could actually do something about it would be better...but keeping silent is definitely not going to help matters. The best way to improve security is to test it, and address problems that are found. A lot better than sticking your head in the sand, ignoring potential problems, and hoping for the best. And it isn't like any specifics were given...if he posted the comment at the time, listing a specific checkpoint that was inoperable, that would be a different story. But it doesn't provide any info at all that would help an attacker carry out a plan at this point.

Like everything in life there is a balance, sure there is a slight possibility that someone within that has enough authority to make change within the TSA may read this thread, it's unlikely they will put much weight behind unsubstantiated comments that are nothing more than gossip though.

By the same token it's just as likely that someone intending harm to others may read this thread, even if they don't use these supposed breaches as a plan to carry out harm the idea is still sewn in their heads.

I think it's extremely irresponsible (and just downright bad form) to post on a public forum that another member is full of BS. :thumbsdow You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but there is no way you can know for sure. Pity we don't have a Troll icon.

No i grant you there is no way i can know for sure, but having worked within the airport security industry world wide for the last 15 years i am well aware of it's good sides and bad sides and know for a fact that if any detector operator knowingly worked a faulty system their job would be in serious jeopardy.
It's not like the operator has the final word either, this fault would have needed to have been reported to their supervisor, who would then have had to report it to the technical duty officer on shift, who would then report it to the engineers on site.

So you would have to have a conspiracy involving several departments and people to knowingly work a detector that's known to be faulty, and for what gain, even small airports have more than one detector, they'd simply just use another one.

I would also be grateful if you would reread my post, because i felt i made it clear that it could have been the operator/agent that was full of BS and was just saying that to move the passenger along.

Another bold opinion by someone with absolutely no way to know if what he is stating is true.

It's not much of a stretch because if you had flown with Al El you would have known about their increased security measures, likewise if you have ever flown out of Ben Gurion Airport you would have known the security is dramatically higher than any other civilian airport in the USA.

Again this is coming from someone that has worked together with El Al and has worked at LLBG.

Nearly double the flight prices, eh!? :lolsign: How long did it take you to arrive at that conclusion? It must have been quite a lengthily endeavor. Please show your work.

Where do you think the money will come from?
These highly skilled, highly trained and highly educated TSA officers that are proposed aren't going to work for nothing, for it to be a long term solution they will have to be paid the market rate for their level of education and skill set otherwise they'd just quit.
So you will be competing with blue collar workers salaries and mid level management.
Currently most the staff you see around the security checkpoints are struggling to meet minimum wage, so that's a DRAMATIC increase in wage costs.

Then there is the equipment, to update every airport in the USA with bang up to date systems you are talking billions of dollars, the larger hold luggage scanning scanning systems sell for up to $2 million each, for even a small sized airport you'd need 10 to 20 systems, you then have to think that because airports built over 20 years ago we not designed to have in-built luggage scanners the entire baggage handling system will need to be redesigned to accommodate these newer systems

This is JUST behind the sceens, we're not even mentioning body scanners, hand luggage X-ray systems, sniffers, dogs, undercover agents etc etc etc

The current system is extremely effective, it's stretched in places and could be improved, absolutely no doubt about that, but to make a sweeping statement that all airports should operate the El Al style of security is both unreasonable and ill informed.

Should also say that if passengers took responsibility for what they pack in their own suitcases, pockets etc the system would be a LOT more effective.

Speaking as a regular flier and not as someone that works in the industry, the stupidity and/or arrogance of so many passengers astounds me.
They are asked at check-in if they have any prohibited items in their hand luggage or on their body, they respond no.
There are signs in most airports as you go through immigration/customs of the items that are prohibited on the plane.
They then get to the security check point and stand directly in front of a sign clearly showing exactly what is prohibited, they stand in the line waiting for their turn seeing these signs.
They are then asked at the security check point if they have any of these items, they answer, nope.

THEN when these prohibited items are found in their pockets or in their hand luggage they stand there for 15 mins arguing with the security staff, which then holds up every other responsible passenger :shakehead

Ok we've all made the odd mistake, but it's clearly stated what's prohibited and what's not, why should a TSA agent who is a complete stranger and has absolutely no idea who you are risk his/her job to let you on a flight with a prohibited item just because you say so (not talking directly at you, but in general).

I've seen one guy who spent 30 mins arguing with the security staff because he refused to hand in his 4" folding knife.
Yes some of the rules don't seem to make sense, i can understand that, but pretty much every single time these rules are put in place as a direct result of intelligence against a perceived threat, even being in the industry i do not know many of these threats, so a passenger has absolutely no idea, but they're there for your protection, no matter how daft they seem.

kwak

Enlightened
Should also say.

Next time your feeling angry at the agent or security staff at the check point, just think of how many people in their 8 hour shift they've come across that thinks they are "special" and the rules don't apply to them on clearly stated restricted items.

Now imagine you've done the same job for say 8 months.

It's generally minimum wage, it's always shift work, you're dealing with thousands of members of the public who are often cranky, have had to wait for delayed flights, are tired and just want to get on holiday/home.

You HAVE to enforce rules that sometimes you won't even understand yourself and you face at least 6 people per shift who seem to want to use you as a emotional punch bag to vent their frustration on.

It's a tough job, i know i certainly couldn't do it, but everyone within the airport security industry do it not just for the money but also because of a sense of pride that they are doing their bit to ensure you have as safe a journey as possible.

No you shouldn't bow down and kiss their feet, but a little thought and understanding of the strains and stress they are under the next time you caught with prohibited item might be best.

Like i said, you know your own intentions, but to them you are a complete stranger, so why should they risk their job allowing you through with a prohibited item just because you say you are not a danger?

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
TSA employed people who would have otherwise been serving burgers or collecting change at a tollbooth. But they provide some level of security and I am happy to see them 90% of the time.

But to be fair there was a time I flew from DFW to Maine with a loaded handgun magazine in my carry on. I mailed it home and am glad I am not a no fly list.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is absolutely no way they would continue using a detector knowing full well it is not operating correctly.
They would simply switch to another that is working correctly.

If they did knowingly continue to operate a detector that was known to be faulty then they are in breach of the protocols that they are hired to uphold, i have seen people lose their jobs for a LOT less.

You really think just because something is a breach of protocol, it CANNOT happen? I don't claim to know the facts, but just because you think something is unlikely, doesn't mean you should go straight to claiming it is impossible.

Like everything in life there is a balance, sure there is a slight possibility that someone within that has enough authority to make change within the TSA may read this thread, it's unlikely they will put much weight behind unsubstantiated comments that are nothing more than gossip though.

I think it's extremely irresponsible to post on a public forum the details of how you "got past" security with forbidden items.
Any person wanting to do harm to others must be wringing their hands in joy as you are basically giving them an instruction manual on where and when to get past the security checkpoint with forbidden items.

First you claim the poster is irresponsible for posting "details", and "giving them an instruction manual", and then later you claim they are "unsubstantiated comments that are nothing more than gossip". Make up your mind! I don't necessarily disagree with you on all points, but the way you are responding to other's comments is inappropriate, in my opinion.

By the same token it's just as likely that someone intending harm to others may read this thread, even if they don't use these supposed breaches as a plan to carry out harm the idea is still sewn in their heads.

This argument is incredibly weak. The idea is not really the important thing...if someone is seriously considering attacking a plane, or an airport, you really think a story of a defective metal detector is going to make ANY difference to their plans?

No i grant you there is no way i can know for sure...

We agree on that, you cannot know what his experience has been. That's why when you make a statement, like "Spoken as someone that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and has never flown with El Al", you get a critical response. You are making assumptions that you have no business making.

Again this is coming from someone that has worked together with El Al and has worked at LLBG.

It is a shame that you couldn't have avoided making assumptions and criticizing other posts. You might have been able to actually add value to the thread.

Where do you think the money will come from?
These highly skilled, highly trained and highly educated TSA officers that are proposed aren't going to work for nothing, for it to be a long term solution they will have to be paid the market rate for their level of education and skill set otherwise they'd just quit.
So you will be competing with blue collar workers salaries and mid level management.
Currently most the staff you see around the security checkpoints are struggling to meet minimum wage, so that's a DRAMATIC increase in wage costs.

http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/historical-fee-collection-data

Only about 28% of the TSA's budget is paid for by travelers. About five percent is paid for by the airlines. Around two-thirds of the budget comes from general appropriations.

I don't know how much ticket prices would go up, but neither do you. At least I'm not pretending I know the answer...

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/TSA-Transportation-Security-Administration-Salaries-E41347.htm

They are not minimum wage workers now, by any stretch of the imagination. They get the usual suite of federal benefits, and the average wage is much higher than you are suggesting. Perhaps that used to be the case, but it is not true now.

The current system is extremely effective, it's stretched in places and could be improved, absolutely no doubt about that, but to make a sweeping statement that all airports should operate the El Al style of security is both unreasonable and ill informed.

We can debate the effectiveness of the current screening. But for you to call someone else unreasonable and ill informed is pretty rich...you have some misconceptions of your own. And even if the suggestion was ill informed, you would do much better to explain why, rather than just claiming that it can't or shouldn't be done.

Last edited:

kwak

Enlightened
You really think just because something is a breach of protocol, it CANNOT happen? I don't claim to know the facts, but just because you think something is unlikely, doesn't mean you should go straight to claiming it is impossible.

Please reread my post
if any detector operator knowingly worked a faulty system their job would be in serious jeopardy.
It's not like the operator has the final word either, this fault would have needed to have been reported to their supervisor, who would then have had to report it to the technical duty officer on shift, who would then report it to the engineers on site.

It's possible that Fenix will release a 150,000 lumen torch that runs on full power without a thermal switch down for 1 hour, that's the size of a SC600 and runs on a 18650

It's not likely though is it?

Like i say you would have to have at least several people all conspiring together to work a known faulty scanner, why would these people risk their jobs to operate a known faulty scanner, what possible gain could there be?

So it makes it about as likely as the "new" Fenix torch

So you would have to have a conspiracy involving several departments and people to knowingly work a detector that's known to be faulty, and for what gain, even small airports have more than one detector, they'd simply just use another one.

First you claim the poster is irresponsible for posting "details", and "giving them an instruction manual", and then later you claim they are "unsubstantiated comments that are nothing more than gossip". Make up your mind! I don't necessarily disagree with you on all points, but the way you are responding to other's comments is inappropriate, in my opinion.

This argument is incredibly weak. The idea is not really the important thing...if someone is seriously considering attacking a plane, or an airport, you really think a story of a defective metal detector is going to make ANY difference to their plans?

Don't really want to get into bickering, which i feel this is starting to evolve into.

We agree on that, you cannot know what his experience has been. That's why when you make a statement, like "Spoken as someone that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and has never flown with El Al", you get a critical response. You are making assumptions that you have no business making.

If someone was to post saying "my new SC600 arrived today and it's far to big and heavy for a 18650 torch, what would you say?

I've worked with El Al, i've flown with El Al, i've worked at LLBG, even as a passenger i've had first hand experience of the extra levels of security, so using my experience it just doesn't seem logical to me that anyone who has faced these levels of security would suggest they would be better (for the hassle not safety wise) for the passengers.

Like i saying knowing the level of security offered i don't think it's much of a conclusion jump.

It is a shame that you couldn't have avoided making assumptions and criticizing other posts. You might have been able to actually add value to the thread.

It's not really up to me to guage how valuable my input is, all i can is give my opinion based upon my experiences, it's then up to those who read my posts to decide how much weight they give to my opinion or experiences.

http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/historical-fee-collection-data

Only about 28% of the TSA's budget is paid for by travelers. About five percent is paid for by the airlines. Around two-thirds of the budget comes from general appropriations.

I don't know how much ticket prices would go up, but neither do you. At least I'm not pretending I know the answer...

Where do you think the airline will recoup these extra expenses, it'll be in ticket sales.

This is also only in the USA, where do you think airports outside the USA will regain these extra costs, because if it's a America destined flight from say outer Mongolia it still needs the same security measures as it would in the USA.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/TSA-Transportation-Security-Administration-Salaries-E41347.htm

They are not minimum wage workers now, by any stretch of the imagination. They get the usual suite of federal benefits, and the average wage is much higher than you are suggesting. Perhaps that used to be the case, but it is not true now.

http://www.tsa.gov/careers/pay-bands

$17k a year, woooooooo hoooooooo get your kids to drop out of collage the road ahead is pathed with gold if they work a screener for the TSA

We can debate the effectiveness of the current screening. But for you to call someone else unreasonable and ill informed is pretty rich...you have some misconceptions of your own. And even if the suggestion was ill informed, you would do much better to explain why, rather than just claiming that it can't or shouldn't be done.

As i've clearly stated on a couple of occasions now, the screener could well have been feeding you BS, again i've clearly stated my reasoning why i believe that to be the case, it's up to you what you want to believe.

For the record do you honestly believe that airports around the USA are running body scanning systems they know full we are not working correctly?
Again why would they, what would they possibly gain by working a known faulty machine?
Imagine the backlash IF something did happen and it was shown the staff knowingly ran that faulty system.

If it was a boon docks airport with only 1 scanner in the entire airport i could understand it, in that case even a faulty scanner is better than no scanner, but for every other case where the airport has 2 or more scanners why on earth wouldn't they use work working systems instead?

It's just basic common sense really

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right, this could descend into bickering. I'll let it go...all I ask is that you read your own words carefully before you submit your post. Your language was the problem, not your opinion or your experience.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I can't have a thoughful conversation with someone in denial. No offense, not a personal insult at all. My years of experience isn't even the issue. You simply honestly believe what you wish. No amount of experience conveyed from an experienced security officer is going to change that.

greenlight put it best in the fewest amount of words possible.

Don't wish to pursue a conversation with you in this manner so I'll leave it at this, good luck to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.