Two 'Surefire' (meant literally too!) Newbie ?'s

pruitthall

Newly Enlightened
Two \'Surefire\' (meant literally too!) Newbie ?\'s

In reading the forum posts for the past few weeks, I thought I'd finally join the fun here. I have a few Surefire lights (M2, Aviator, 8NX, an old 7? rechargeable) and have 2 things I haven't been able to solve on my own, so I thought I'd run it by the experts.

1--My 8NX rechargeable. New light, less than 2 weeks old. When I charge the batteries (either one, same date code on both) the RED charging light is lit. It transitions to green (solid) and I thought the world was a happy place. But then, after about 30 minutes it goes into a FAST BLINKING green. Maybe this is normal, maybe it's not; I sure can't find anything in the manual. Any ideas?

2--Aviator (and I'd say any other Surefire with a clip on it). Are these clips removeable? Looking at the clip closely, it appears this is a press fit and a tight one, knowing Surefire. Maybe there is some 'secret method' to taking it off. My concern isn't really taking it off; it's putting it back on if I ever do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If someone tells me 'Don't take it off!!!!', I'll understand, but if there is something I'm missing, can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

PH

Topper

Flashaholic*
Re: Two \'Surefire\' (meant literally too!) Newbie ?\'s

Welcome to CPF I will take A stab at Question 1. It is my understanding that when charged it will turn green, if you leave it in it will blink to hold the charge. I am not sure how long you can leave it in after it starts to blink I have left A B90 in 16+ hours after it started to blink. My
B65 charger never has blinked so I pull it as soon as I see green. Hopefully someone more up on this stuff will respond and correct my ignorance if I am mistaken.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pruitthall

Newly Enlightened

Topper,

Thanks for the quick reply! Unless someone else chimes in, I'll just consider the 'fast blink' the 'Keeping it charged' blink.

thanks,

PH

Size15's

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF pruitthall!

That I'm aware of, none of my SureFire chargers have ever blinked. But, I do not have any of the latest gen so this may be a new feature.

The PocketClip on the A2 can be removed (replaced) if needed.

Step one is to carefully remove the o-ring, then some people use a long thin flat screwdriver to force the clip (and the little black plastic widget) out. I force the clip out by putting the end of the clip on the edge of a hard surface (such as a table top) and force the flashlight downwards.

Al

Topper

Flashaholic*

OK I tracked mine down. It means you are good to go.If yours is A CN400 series charger T210 walwart
look at the bottom of the charger. Point 4. states it will charge up to 12 hours then switch to standby (blink) My charger is less than a year old to me. I have know idea how long it set on a shelf at the store.

pruitthall

Newly Enlightened

Man, this forum is THE place to be. Thanks for the replies back!

Topper: Thanks for the research; feeling much better now. I have a charging 'station' setup in the garage that I've got a ton of chargers for my Bosch, DeWalt, Surefire, Streamlight etc. all on. I've got to actually disassemble it slightly as space was at a true premium to get all the charging stations to fit. But thank you so much for putting my concerns at rest. I can't believe Surefire makes such great lights and the manuals are...well they aren't equivalent to the lights, I'll leave it at that!

Al: Many thanks for the great pics you sent to my email. No questions now, at all. Reason for the clip removal: I bought the Aviator at a local dealer; it was their last one and a display model. I'm quirky about 'floor models' (hey, spend a $150 on a flashlight, I think you've got the right to be whatever you want to be!), never my first choice, but I had the Aviator bug, bad! Well, it seems someone really wanted to put the Aviator in a BIG pocket and the clip doesn't sit 'flush' with the body. I know it was a cloth 'something' as the clip still had pieces of fabric in it. So, I want to adjust it a little. Anal retentive, I'm sure, but it'll make me happier.

Many thanks to all on their quick replies.

PH

Topper

Flashaholic*

Anal retentive is OK as far as flashlights,guns& knives go
if it starts to spread to buying ten wiper blades it is time to seek help.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is in response to question 2.The main reason for leaving the clip on is without it the sealing o-ring can distort while screwing the bezel on and it does a dip into the space where the clip was and compromises the watertight capability, I tried the same thing on my SF and figured out the reason why it isn't recommended.BTW that little black"widget" behind the metal clip flys for parts unknown as you remove the clip from the barrel,is is necessary to reinstall it to tension the clip in its pocket.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Further to question 2, remember also to slip a card or paper in btwn the clip before you remove it lest it scratches the body while you're sliding it out!