U2 or new CREE?...

iapyx

Enlightened
Sylvain, wait till SF comes with a U2 succesor.....
The multiple levels of the U2 are really nicey.
This feature is very usefull, since we do not always need a lot of light.
Like for reading maps, level #1 of SF's U2 is very useful.

Could also be tactical. e.g. when you do need a little bit of light but don't want
others to notice you.

If you want to have a longer runtime, use level #5 or take out the plastic insert and use rechageables.

Let's hope SF comes with a U2-alike succesor with CREE.

LouRoy

Enlightened
I would not write off the U2 so readily. I did some unscientific ceiling bounce tests with the light meter. Here are the results:

1100 U2 on high
910 Fenix L2D CE on turbo
800 Ti PD-S
790 Fenix P1D CE on high

The numbers are just a relative scale. They relate to overall light output and not throw.

The U2 is still brighter than these lights with Cree or Seoul emitters.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
The thing about all the newer/more efficient products streaming on the market these days is that it makes it soo tempting to want to be on the cusp of innovation. However for me, when I bought my U2, it was the hottest thing out there and I still treat and use it with that same nostalgia. I'm certain that there are lights that use cheaper batteries and have higher lumen outputs, but the U2 is simply the U2 and those of us who've trusted one, will understand what that means.

S

skruvmejsel

Hi!
Surefire seems to have been the leader of good quality flashlights, but my feeling is that e.g. Fenix, Jetfire, Kaidomain flashlights gives more for the dollars. Look at the Fenix P1CE, Fenix L0DCE (AAA batteries). Fenix and other China flashlights are improving. I haven't seen Surefire doing that in the same way, (maybe they just spend their time thinking how to keep the best profit as in "older days" ?)

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
LouRoy said:
I would not write off the U2 so readily. I did some unscientific ceiling bounce tests with the light meter. Here are the results:

1100 U2 on high
910 Fenix L2D CE on turbo
800 Ti PD-S
790 Fenix P1D CE on high

The numbers are just a relative scale. They relate to overall light output and not throw.

The U2 is still brighter than these lights with Cree or Seoul emitters.

According the Flashlightreviews.com and chevrofreaks runtime graphs the P1D-CE puts out about 110 lumens for 45 minutes and the Surefire U2 puts out about 77 lumens for 1 hour.

Then the L2D-CE puts out about 120 lumens for 1 hour 50 minutes if you use NiMH.

No doubt the U2 is an exceptionally high quality light and has stood the test of time but for the money I would hold off until surefire release Cree lights. Or save hundreds of $ and get a Fenix.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
TenPin et al.,

You can't judge all U2s and all L2D lights on the basis of single samples of each. In particular, the brightness of the average LuxV emitter has risen quite a bit since the unveiling of the U2, and I think it has been a consensus on CPF that Quickbeam got a real underperformer for his Flashlightreviews review.

Basically the U2 and an L2D both put out similar maximum lumens and luck governs whether a random sample of one will beat a random sample of the other. The big advantage the Cree will have over the LuxV is going to be efficiency and potentially throw, but not total light output.

I'll agree that an L2D offers quite a bit more value for the average flashaholic than does a U2. For quite a bit more money, you get somewhat better anodizing and machine work with a U2, and a more intuitive user interface. If that isn't worth the price to you, by all means get an L2D instead. Not everyone would make the same decision, though.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
since one year, i have bought 7 Surefires and i dont regret any surefire that i have bought.

I wanted a U2, but i just bought a P1D CE that i find it very impressive for the size.But it is not a Surefire....just a cheap chinese light...good for the price.

iapyx

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
I'll agree that an L2D offers quite a bit more value for the average flashaholic than does a U2. For quite a bit more money, you get somewhat better anodizing and machine work with a U2, and a more intuitive user interface. If that isn't worth the price to you, by all means get an L2D instead. Not everyone would make the same decision, though.

Couldn´t formulate it better.

daveman

Enlightened
LouRoy said:
I would not write off the U2 so readily. I did some unscientific ceiling bounce tests with the light meter. Here are the results...

But thank heavens that we already have several SCIENTIFIC readings from sources like Quickbeam (flashlightreviews.com) and Chevrofreak's integrating sphere (homemade) ALL consistently pointing to the XR-E powered lights (L2D CE, Huntlight FT-01, P1D CE) as being brighter, at least as bright, and with AT LEAST double the runtime of a U2 when using the same battery type.

You can rest assured we're getting solid information these days with our without ceiling bounce tests. :)

LouRoy

Enlightened
daveman said:
But thank heavens that we already have several SCIENTIFIC readings from sources like Quickbeam (flashlightreviews.com) and Chevrofreak's integrating sphere (homemade) ALL consistently pointing to the XR-E powered lights (L2D CE, Huntlight FT-01, P1D CE) as being brighter, at least as bright, and with AT LEAST double the runtime of a U2 when using the same battery type.

You can rest assured we're getting solid information these days with our without ceiling bounce tests. :)

I hate to disappoint the naysayers, but my U2 is without a doubt brighter than my P1D CE, both with the light meter and by eyeball. I have the greatest respect for all the information that Lightbeam has provided, but my ceiling bounce method is at least as scientific as his. My method simply replicates his method, but with a larger box to contain the light.

I have nothing against the new emitters--in fact, I have 7 lights with Cree or Seoul emitters and like them all. However, none of them exceed the U2 or the L4 in overall brightness.

I like the extended runtime with the Cree and Seoul emitters, but I use an 18650 rechargeable in the U2. It runs for a LONG time on that battery and runtime has never been a concern, even with extended usage.

jled

Newly Enlightened
Andrew Nik said:
Beamshots at 25 meters:

U2 is great light: more handy, more useful, more reliable than P1D CE, and have equal brightness.
Looking at both pictures the P1DCE looks brighter to me. I think they are very close but I certainly would rely on flashlight reviews for accurate information, keeping in mind that all lights have some variables for tint and brightness including Shurfire.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the new Huntlight cree. It has 5 levels plus strobe and s.o.s. mode. I believe it is slightly brighter than the U2 I have played with. That being said, its switching is no where near as easy as the U2's simple ring adjustments. That being said, it is brighter and you can have one and keep $200 in your pocket. You have to decide for yourself which is the better buy.

daveman

Enlightened
LouRoy said:
...I have nothing against the new emitters--in fact, I have 7 lights with Cree or Seoul emitters and like them all. However, none of them exceed the U2 or the L4 in overall brightness...
That would explain why Surefire has decided to replace their Lux V and Lux III lights with XR-E and SSC P4 emitters? :huh2:

LouRoy said:
I like the extended runtime with the Cree and Seoul emitters, but I use an 18650 rechargeable in the U2. It runs for a LONG time on that battery and runtime has never been a concern, even with extended usage.
Then you shall have even greater runtime when you try those 18650s in XR-E or SSC P4 powered lights.
Listen, LouRoy, it's obvious that, in your attempt to defend your preferred flashlight manufacturer, you have somehow found yourself defending Lumileds instead. While there is nothing wrong with protecting Surefire's excellent reputation as a flashlight maker, you should not be making statements that imply Luxeon's Lux Vs are, in general, superior to Cree's XR-Es or SSC P4s; this new generation of LEDs has already been widely accepted as several cuts above anything Lumileds has offered so far, and in light of these new LEDs proven performance, your statements make you sound downright ignorant.

Peace

LouRoy

Enlightened
daveman said:
Listen, LouRoy, it's obvious that, in your attempt to defend your preferred flashlight manufacturer, you have somehow found yourself defending Lumileds instead. While there is nothing wrong with protecting Surefire's excellent reputation as a flashlight maker, you should not be making statements that imply Luxeon's Lux Vs are, in general, superior to Cree's XR-Es or SSC P4s; this new generation of LEDs has already been widely accepted as several cuts above anything Lumileds has offered so far, and in light of these new LEDs proven performance, your statements make you sound downright ignorant.

Peace

Whoa, Daveman, cool it buddy! :touche:We are just discussing lights. No need for childish attacks.

I never stated that Lux Vs are superior to anything. I simply stated that my U2 is considerably brighter than my P1D CE. If you would like to come to my house, I can show you this in person. :D Or you can continue to doubt the actual data if you prefer.

Do you own a U2? Do you own a P1D CE? Do you own a light meter?

I am not defending Surefire (they need no defense from me or anyone else) nor is Surefire my "preferred flashlight manufacturer". To the best of my knowledge, Surefire has not stated that they are replacing the Lux Vs. I am sure they will in the future as new and improved emitters are released.

It's an exciting time for flashaholics. I am thoroughly enjoying the ride. :knight:

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
LouRoy said:
Whoa, Daveman, cool it buddy! :touche:We are just discussing lights. No need for childish attacks.

Daveman said:

My admonition above was cordially dispensed as to save you from further embarassing yourself with your misinformed posts...

LouRoy said:
I have nothing against the new emitters--in fact, I have 7 lights with Cree or Seoul emitters and like them all. However, none of them exceed the U2 or the L4 in overall brightness.
LouRoy said:
I never stated that Lux Vs are superior to anything...
Of course not.

LouRoy said:
I am not defending Surefire (they need no defense from me or anyone else) nor is Surefire my "preferred flashlight manufacturer". To the best of my knowledge, Surefire has not stated that they are replacing the Lux Vs.

Please better the "best of your knowledge" before you post next time, I feel embarrased just to rectify your posts...

SUREFIRE IS REPLACING ITS LUX V products.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sylvain, you seem to understand the parameters of the 2 lights just fine (outputs, costs, et al), and you clearly articulated the issue of U2 now vs. U2/Cree future vs. Fenix/Cree now, so there's not much others can add to your understanding. Only you can judge how strong the pull of a U2 now is to you, compared to the pull of $$ in your pocket for something else now or later. If you want to get a vote of what others think, set up a poll.

I think there are no objective decision drivers in the Surefire vs. Fenix debate as note replies above (lots of feelings though - who says guys don't get emotional...:laughing:), just individuals explaining what they chose.

It's not like your whole future hinges on this. A U2 costs about as much as a set of front shocks for your car, a Fenix/Cree costs about as much as dinner for yourself and a significant other. Just go and do one....