crazy unsafe power outlets in my home

captianworkbench

Newly Enlightened
Just remove this monstrosity, install what is called an "old work" junction box, re-strip your wires, j-hook them around the screws, tighten, assemble, and install a new cover.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
oh its already fixed. .. may repair a few other outlets while in colder last one i did was in summer and with my ac kn same circuit it was hot as hect

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just replace those boxes with one gang cut in boxes. They'll have those wings that tighten down when screwed in. This is needed if the box isn't against a stud. Looks like that box is similar. Then use regular 15 amp outlets or switches. Wire ground wire (bare or green wire) to green screw. Wire neutral (white) wire to silver screw. Wire hot (black, red, or blue) wire to brass screw, in that order. Before all this, disconnect the wires from old outlet in the reverse order after shutting off power to be safe. Regular switches will have two hots and a ground. Wire accordingly.

Last edited:

TPA

Enlightened
My company's data center still had functioning knob & tube wiring in it. Even some of the servers were running on it. I also know a restaurant which still proudly uses knob & tube as well and has it nicely displayed throughout.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The scariest job I had to work on with old equipment had panels full of contactors that were arcing and smoking a bit and we had to walk between the narrow rows of them to get to where we needed to work. Building was probably around 100 years old. We were told to spray water anywhere we had to drill holes because of the asbestos. We were doing electrical work.

TPA

Enlightened
Up until a couple of years ago, my condo had Otis mechanical elevators, with open-frame relays & open-frame contactors. Sparks flying everywhere when they were operating. It's a darn shame they replaced them as they were far more reliable than the garbage they've installed since.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until a couple of years ago, my condo had Otis mechanical elevators, with open-frame relays & open-frame contactors. Sparks flying everywhere when they were operating. It's a darn shame they replaced them as they were far more reliable than the garbage they've installed since.
Good guess on where I was working. It was the elevator mechanical room for a large building. The contactors there were open frame and just about to get replaced after we were done. The sparks flew and we held our breath going through the area because we didn't know what kind of metallic vapors were causing smoke in the air. Real fun to try to get our ladders through that area.