U2 ultra upgraded?

Retinator

Enlightened
If you get one now and it craps out from 'heavy' use or whatever, they'll likely replace it with a new one anyways. A free upgrade :)

But that's like trying to wear down a tank. It can happen :p

6 levels of output is certainly appealing, if you need multi-level, an L1 might be a good wait-and-see light to tie you over.

Last edited:

Spence

Enlightened
I thought about waiting for a U2 upgrade and my contact at SF just laughed and said "buy one now, if you can find one". Seems SF has been busy fulfilling a military contract for U2's the past few months, but they should be available again the middle of January. I found one and I'm very satisfied with its' performance. Besides, the U2 sells easily if a new one comes out and you gotta have it. I'd never turn loose of any of my SF's.
Spence
buttrock.gif

cbxer55

Enlightened
Agree with Spence again. I have more Surefires than any other brand. All of them are keepers, while I have given away some of my other brands, since I found them wanting in comparison to Surefire.
My favorite of all of them is the U2, and now that it ahs gone military, it will become even more popular and more in demand. Glad I got mine while the getting was good.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I thought about waiting for a U2 upgrade and my contact at SF just laughed and said "buy one now, if you can find one". Seems SF has been busy fulfilling a military contract for U2's the past few months, but they should be available again the middle of January. I found one and I'm very satisfied with its' performance. Besides, the U2 sells easily if a new one comes out and you gotta have it. I'd never turn loose of any of my SF's.
Spence
buttrock.gif

I hope Surefire takes things more seriously than that. They are going to lose a lot of ground in 2008 otherwise.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hope Surefire takes things more seriously than that. They are going to lose a lot of ground in 2008 otherwise.
It always makes me chuckle when I read opinions like this because the soothsayers of doom have been saying such things for years and years about the disastrous consequences of SureFire doing this or that, or not doing this or that, or the oter for that matter. SureFire appears to grow regardless indicating that perhaps the soothsayers are not as spiritually connected with SureFire and its markets as they could be... :naughty:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Lux V led's are getting better and better. More flux, lower vf. Some of the better binned WxxH's are probably putting out about 150 lumens at 700mA's to led right now, and the U2 on level 6 is drawing more amps to the led. If not satisfied with the your U2 performance, one can have one of our better modders replace it with a nice overachiever Lux V emiter.

Actually, when you start going to a Seoul or Cree, or whatever, and get away from a Lux V, the driver has to be changed to a buck boost configeration with attendant loss of efficiency, or even worse, a buck type driver that would preclude the use of a 17670, or 18650. The present day U2 will work quite well with a single LiIon. We don't want to give that up, do we?

Bill

KROMATICS

Enlightened
It always makes me chuckle when I read opinions like this because the soothsayers of doom have been saying such things for years and years about the disastrous consequences of SureFire doing this or that, or not doing this or that, or the oter for that matter. SureFire appears to grow regardless indicating that perhaps the soothsayers are not as spiritually connected with SureFire and its markets as they could be... :naughty:

Microsoft has continued to grow without innovation. How has that benefited the consumer? If Surefire wants to continue pushing the same flashlight for another year while other manufacturers continue to improve theirs what does that say about the company? So they can survive on military orders. Cool beans. How does that help us? I'm a big fan of Surefire. They came out with some modest upgrades for 2007. I find it hard to believe they will leave to U2 untouched in 2008 but if they do I'll vote with my wallet.

iced_theater

Enlightened
The Lux V led's are getting better and better. More flux, lower vf. Some of the better binned WxxH's are probably putting out about 150 lumens at 700mA's to led right now, and the U2 on level 6 is drawing more amps to the led. If not satisfied with the your U2 performance, one can have one of our better modders replace it with a nice overachiever Lux V emiter.

You sure you aren't thinking of a different LED? I've never heard of seen a H Vf Luxeon V. Lowest I've seen is the XxxS and only a couple of times at that.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Microsoft has continued to grow without innovation. How has that benefited the consumer? If Surefire wants to continue pushing the same flashlight for another year while other manufacturers continue to improve theirs what does that say about the company? So they can survive on military orders. Cool beans. How does that help us? I'm a big fan of Surefire. They came out with some modest upgrades for 2007. I find it hard to believe they will leave to U2 untouched in 2008 but if they do I'll vote with my wallet.
You're pre-judging them - may I offer a humble opinion that you are being far too quick to pre-judge and not in possession of sufficient information to make an accurate prediction or judgement.

Being as we are so close to the SHOT Show making any judgements or predictions is risky at best and foolish at worse. CPF members do not have a good track record at all in this regard.

I get the strong impression people are expecting the worse from SureFire in 2008. Perhaps I'm having difficulty empathising with this perspective... I don't know. I find it very strange. Almost like hardly anybody really knows anything about SureFire at all. Those who do seem to be keeping their heads down.

What I do know is that 2008 will be a year like no other to be at the SHOT Show. I do not share the pessimistic view that all is over and lost for SureFire.

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am glad they are taking their time to develop new lights. When buying SF, I want more than a LED driven by batteries, and I am willing to wait for that.

Besides, the U2 is just as bright as the new lights, it lacks the runtime on high mode though. I can live with that, it has 5 other modes to chose from. I want the future upgrade of my favourite light (U2) to be just right.

bernie

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You sure you aren't thinking of a different LED? I've never heard of seen a H Vf Luxeon V. Lowest I've seen is the XxxS and only a couple of times at that.

Not thinking of another led, just using the wrong vf bin for lux V. Yes, S bin, as in WWOS. Thanks for correction. I am running a WWOS in my ArcMania Tower module.

Bill

Last edited:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
You're pre-judging them - may I offer a humble opinion that you are being far too quick to pre-judge and not in possession of sufficient information to make an accurate prediction or judgement.

Being as we are so close to the SHOT Show making any judgements or predictions is risky at best and foolish at worse. CPF members do not have a good track record at all in this regard.

I get the strong impression people are expecting the worse from SureFire in 2008. Perhaps I'm having difficulty empathising with this perspective... I don't know. I find it very strange. Almost like hardly anybody really knows anything about SureFire at all. Those who do seem to be keeping their heads down.

What I do know is that 2008 will be a year like no other to be at the SHOT Show. I do not share the pessimistic view that all is over and lost for SureFire.

Al

That's why I said I find it hard to believe they will not update/replace it at some point in 2008. With all the advancements made with LEDs this past year and their use by the competition I doubt they would just sit back and coast by another year. They have already taken care of the lower end models in 2007 anyway.

Retinator

Enlightened
The only BIG improvement to the U2 i can envision is better runtime. 100 lumens and down from that make it versatile for many different needs.

As for Surefire being idle... this year we've seen a G3(incan), updates to the original G2/6P, addition of the P60L, updated LEDs in the E1L/E2L and L1.

Transitions are 'quiet time' for the consumer. I'm sure there are amazing things to come, whether that takes another year or two.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Now this is more like it!

That's why I said I find it hard to believe they will not update/replace it at some point in 2008. With all the advancements made with LEDs this past year and their use by the competition I doubt they would just sit back and coast by another year. They have already taken care of the lower end [lower output, longer runtime] models in 2007 anyway.
I'd suggest they're not too bothered about companies that other people may consider to be competitors to SureFire. SureFire seem to be above such trivialities finding more constructive things to focus their time and efforts on.
I think you're right about SureFire concentrating on the lower output, longer runtime models in 2007. This is a core market for SureFire and one they must have felt it better to 'sort out' first.
Looking forward it is a reasonable assumption that SureFire will turn their attention towards higher output [now that such technologies have been around for a couple of years for their R&D teams to erm, research and develop them. After all SureFire and the products it makes are around for the long term and there are good reasons not to rush into things.

The only BIG improvement to the U2 i can envision is better runtime. 100 lumens and down from that make it versatile for many different needs.
I wouldn't put it past SureFire not to limit themselves to such envisions :nana:

As for Surefire being idle... this year we've seen a G3(incan), updates to the original G2/6P, addition of the P60L, updated LEDs in the E1L/E2L and L1.
Don't forget the X300. It may not interest CPF but it is a significant contribution to the handgun light market.
As mentioned the new E1L (KX1), E2L (KX2) and new L1, to which I'll add the X300.
As mentioned the new G3.
As mentioned the P60L embodied in the 6PL, G2L and G3L.

Also, their Helmet Lights are high volume products for the military.
These are just the main illumination tools side of SureFire "Tactical Technology Company"

When trying to think of what SureFire may decide to do next I find it better to consider this from SureFire's perspective. One way to do this is look at the evolution of the products and the technology behind them. I find this helps steer things and adds weight (credibility) to any predictions made.

I've just had an idea for a PowerPoint presentation but I'm late for a New Years Party so it'll have to wait....................

Last edited:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I think you're right about SureFire concentrating on the lower output, longer runtime models in 2007. This is a core market for SureFire and one they must have felt it better to 'sort out' first.

Looking forward it is a reasonable assumption that SureFire will turn their attention towards higher output [now that such technologies have been around for a couple of years for their R&D teams to erm, research and develop them. After all SureFire and the products it makes are around for the long term and there are good reasons not to rush into things.

I think the U2 is probably the best candidate for a high-output light because you can always select a lower output if needed. The L5 on the other hand needs to balance output and runtime. I'm a little worried about the AA light if it's going to use the KX1 head. Still waiting on the YG/IR KROMA.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the U2 is probably the best candidate for a high-output light because you can always select a lower output if needed. The L5 on the other hand needs to balance output and runtime. I'm a little worried about the AA light if it's going to use the KX1 head. Still waiting on the YG/IR KROMA.

I highly doubt a Surefire AA light. Is there even a Surefire model that uses anything other than CR123A? (rechargeable lights excepted, of course)

The U2 does seem like the candidate for high output. Surefire seems consider the 100 lumen range to be high output.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I highly doubt a Surefire AA light. Is there even a Surefire model that uses anything other than CR123A? (rechargeable lights excepted, of course)

The U2 does seem like the candidate for high output. Surefire seems consider the 100 lumen range to be high output.

You can see a recent prototype of the AA light here but it doesn't look very competitive with a KX1 head. The TITAN uses a CR2 battery. Maybe that's the first step.