UIB2 and maxFlex

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wished that the driver would come out with TWO SWITCHES option. Clicking the same switch over and over is annoying and sometimes getting the timing right is hard (trying on my mates sensitive clicker).

Makes for programming easier and scrolling up/down in brightness as well.

Hope someone has this in the works. :popcorn:

Yes - but 2 issues.

1) there are no spare pins on the uC so to get 2 switch inputs then a larger uC would need to be used - larger PCB.

2) 2 water proof switches would need to be incorporated in the housing or an even more complex toggle action momentary.

The new menu system of UIB2 is rather easy to use (imho) and to make it easier would require something more than 2 switches - maybe an LCD display :)

Anyhow I don't see adding a 2nd switch - I'd rather use a spare pin for remote temperature monitoring or something more 'useful' (imho).

Actually, for 2 switches the current single input could be used. It would need biasing the condition so both switches released would set the voltage to midscale. Clicking one switch would ground the input, clicking the other would connect the input to VCC.

Ask Darell to dream up a 2 switch UI - if he can do that AND someone designs light housings with 2 quality water proof switches then I'll consider what would be needed to implement it in the firmware :)

cheers,
george.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi George,

I'm patiently waiting for 2 maxFlex drivers. Subscribed to this thread to check on updates. I can't wait!!

:popcorn:

Thanks!

iggs

Newly Enlightened
The reason I'm planning on using the maxflex board is that I'll be able to use it to upgrade my old 6volt 35W halogen lights to a high power led light using the cutter kit. No need for new charger or batteries therefore saving a rack of cash.

+ 1 vote for UIB2

I have an order just been placed with Cutter. If and when would they get stock of UIB2 equiped boards?

Last edited:

WeLight

Enlightened
Hi George
You know I will take
Maxflex with UIB2 in a heartbeat

Cheers
WeLight

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, given I've run out of maxFlex drivers - waiting for more from the assy house I "may" look into loading the UIB2 firmware to my maxFlex mule and seeing how it does.

Maybe in a couple or so days I'll have something to report.

cheers,
george.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update George!

Patiently waiting for the maxFlex UIF/UIP/UIB for my M@g Quad Cree mod. I don't think I'll need the UIB2 since this will be or a handheld, but any action here gets me excited!

Parts on order:

3C M@g host
(3) 25500 Li-Ion cells
download heatsinc
(4) Cree XR-E Q5
(4) Fraen FRC-N1-XR79-0R Reflectors
UCL glass Lens

Parts Waiting:

maxFlex UIF/UIP/UIB

I think it's the last critical piece...

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok - I've ported the UIB2 firmware (some small changes/tweaks) to maxFlex and have started testing it out.

All the basic stuff works (obviously, since the hardware is similar across all the ***flex platforms). The main thing I have to adjust/test is the voltage sensing and temperature sensing code.

The voltage sensing stuff seems to be working correctly (within 0.1V) and the next thing to test is the temperature sensing code.

For maxFlex the temperature sensing is probably more useful to protect the driver than with bFlex/nFlex where it is more useful for measuring the overall housing temperature (plus driver). With a boost driver the input current is always higher than the output current which means that by its nature a boost driver will usually dissipate more heat than a buck converter as efficiency will drop as battery voltage drops.

I'd guess about 1 week to check all the corner cases and then UIB2 will be available for maxFlex - now I just need to wait for the assembly house to ship more of them since I'm out of stock...

cheers,
george.

SurfHenk

Newly Enlightened
This is great news George. Thank you for the nice work, as soon as they are available you can expect an order from me...

doogs

Newly Enlightened
patiently waiting for a couple of maxflex with UIB2 for my Osram Ostar bike lights, will definately need the temp sensing with these babies!!

Geir68

Newly Enlightened
Hi, george!

Will you keep the 1200mA limit of the original maxflex, or use the 1000mA limit of the bflex? UIB2 in bflex has 4 power levels to choose from(350/500/750 or 1000mA) but the UIB/maxflex has 5(350/500/700/1000 or 1200mA).

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, george!

Will you keep the 1200mA limit of the original maxflex, or use the 1000mA limit of the bflex? UIB2 in bflex has 4 power levels to choose from(350/500/750 or 1000mA) but the UIB/maxflex has 5(350/500/700/1000 or 1200mA).

I will retain the 5 current levels in the maxFlex UIB2.

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update: I have been working on the UIB2 port besides all the other stuff on my plate.

I have UIB2 working - and all appears good. I'm testing the voltage sensing and temperature sensing to make sure they are behaving correctly. There are some differences in the reference voltages and resistive dividers between bFlex and maxFlex so that's the area that I need to verify has been coded correctly.

Given that all the code (other than current tables and reference voltage stuff) is identical between nFlex/bFlex and maxFlex I'm confident of the general operation.

I'm planning to release UIB2 for maxFlex within 2 weeks.

cheers,
george.

DaEmpty

Newly Enlightened
tuffig.gif

I'm planning to release UIB2 for maxFlex within 2 weeks.
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?