Up to 400% increase in LED efficiency

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
In any case, what wavelength does a "InGaAsP" LED produce? Because for a direct applicability to a Luxeon style white LED, it would need to be a blue-wavelength producing substrate. Right? Of course, it would seem that this same principle would apply equally to all LED's. But who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,

Red/Orange/Amber Luxeons are AlInGaP, and White/Green/Blue are InGaN.

I believe that InGaAsP are used in older generation, low-power Red/Amber/Green LEDs...but I may be wrong about that.

NetMage

Enlightened
I like the DVD writer suggestion, but since DVD pit size is on the order of 400nm, it sounds like you might need some extra focusing help to get down to 40nm holes.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
When these magic LEDs do come out be sure to buy some right away before some parents group gets them outlawed for being too bright.

"You'll shine your eyes out!!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NetMage said:
I like the DVD writer suggestion, but since DVD pit size is on the order of 400nm, it sounds like you might need some extra focusing help to get down to 40nm holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well get yourself one of these , along with a dumptruck full of money to pay for it, and you'll be all set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Structures like this with periodicity are usually created using nano structure methods. An example nano method is similar in concept to a thin layer of soap bubbles in water. Remarkably, these same concepts often scale to sizes we do not normally associate with our day to day macroscopic world.

There are some very complex structures routinely built as photonic crystals for fiber optics use.

It is still hard to tell from the information if the improvement observed is due to light escaping from the substrate through the holes, or if it is due to improvements in the crystaline film due to pinning the defects to the holes. Isolating this iformation would be interesting.

Lumileds, and I think also the Red, Red / Orange package from Osram / Cree already remove the entire GaAs wafer and replace it with a GaP substrate after growth to improve light extraction IIRC.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Just a mathematical point about a 400 percent increase. A 100 percent increase would be 2x as efficient. Thus a 400 percent increase means 5x as efficient. IIRC, current Luxeons are like 10 percent efficient (???) is that right? Or maybe it's higher. But say it's 10 percent. This 400 percent increase would then mean an LED that was 50 percent efficient at converting electrical energy to visible light.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll add that Cree's best blue chip, the XT-27, produces 27 mW of 460 to 470 nm light with a typical input power of 64 mW (20 mA x 3.2V). This chip is already 42% efficient, and it is actually being mass-produced (although I don't know what LEDs use it). Anyway, a 400% increase there is impossible. At best you might get a 100% or so increase.

Another point is that phosphor-based white LEDs will never approach 100% efficiency becauses of Stokes losses due to the down conversion to white light. In fact, these losses are more with a UV LED and RGB phosphors (the likely approach to future white LEDs) than with a blue LED and yellow phosphor because of the difference in input versus output wavelengths. Therefore, potentially the only way we'll have white light with a near 100% efficiency will be with the RGB color-mixing approach. This of course assumes that we can make red, green, and blue LEDs all with near 100% efficiency. Red and blue are already almost halfway there, but the best green I've seen (Cree's 525 nm, 9 mW chip) is only about 14% efficient. The 400% increase touted in the article could potentially bring this to 70%, and the red and blue to nearly 100%. This would mean white light with ~90% efficiency. With a CRI of 80 and a color temp of 4000K this translates to roughly 360 lm/W. For a CRI of 100 for critical applications we would get roughly 180 lm/W. Both numbers are roughly 3 to 3.5 times what the best comparable fluorescents do.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Hey,
We don't have to wait for the manufacturers! We can do simple mods ourself! Small 20 nm diameter bit and a tiny CNC mill with 5 nm repeatability and we're set! Pop the lens and silicone off the Luxeon, add holes and reassemble! Piece of cake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

If this was reported in 1993, either some folks have been asleep at the wheel or the swiss cheese is not as trivial as we might hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are the master machinist, can you teach me to center the 20nm drill bit within, say better than 1nm, so we don't snap it off? BTW, what brand of chuck do you use?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Newbie,
It's a magnetic chuck floating on magnetic/air bearings. (end cap at Home Depot; buy one get one free)

jtr1962,

Thanks for the insight, information and numbers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

*Retired*
Remember, with higher efficiencies, you generate alot less heat....

Right now, say 80% goes up as heat, and we have a 20% efficiency part.

If you increase efficiency to 80%, you reduce the heat generated by a factor of four. Also means die runs alot cooler at same current, further increasing efficiency, so you can decrease input power. Which also extends battery life. And battery with lower load has less internal losses. And the converter can run more efficient at lighter load (in most flashlights). And you could reduce the drive to 1/2 and still have 2x light, so you could utilize smaller batteries, And so on and so forth.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to read the abstract of the article by going here: www.sciencemag.org . I believe Science also allows free download of full articles older than one year. They have a decent search feature on the site.

The title of the article is "Simultaneous Inhibition and Redistribution of Spontaneous Light Emission in Photonic Crystals." It appears on page 1296.

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to forgive my interpretation of the Science article, since I am not a physicist but a civil engineer. But here goes:

Semiconducting light devices suffer from "spontaneous emission" which lauses loss in the case of LEDs, and loss and noise in the case of lasers. In my oversimplified understanding, if you suppress the spontaneous emission, the energy is redirected into the result that you do want (those spontaneous emissions are always fouling things up).

These guys had some slabs of GaInAsP made with a triangular lattice of holes, spaced at regular intervals. The samples were made using a combination of epitaxial growth, electron-beam lithography, plasma etching, and chemical etching.

Two modes of light emission occurred in plain material: horizontal in-slab mode that satisfies "total internal reflecting" criteria, and vertical mode that escapes perpendicular to the semiconductor surface. The in-slab mode is what screws up the works, but I don't quite get how. I will probably have to ask a friend of mine who actually is a physicist about that.

The triangular arrangement of holes basically prevent the in-slab mode photons from forming (inhibition). The energy is instead diverted into vertical modes which escapes the slab (redistribution). Hence the title, "Simultaneous Inhibition and Redistribution of Spontaneous Light Emission in Photonic Crystals."

The authors report efficiencies increasing by a factor of greater than 15 compared to the same material without the holes. If I read it correctly, actual output is boosted by around 5x.

I don't think these authors did anything new per se, but rather demonstrated something that was suspected before. The inhibition part had been demonstrated earlier, but the redistribution was not as well nailed down. Basically they turned "think" into "know," if I am understanding correctly.

The phenomenon they are taking advantage of to manipulate the emission modes is the "photonic bandgap effect." The holes don't allow trapped light to escape, but they do allow trapped energy to escape. I think they are manipulating how the light is created, forcing the creation of "escapable" light instead of light which cannot escape and will cause losses. Lots of quantum stuff going on here that I have no clue about. I guess the geometry of the holes screws with the wave nature of the bad mode.

Just remember: if you suppress your spontaneous emissions, you will be seen as a much brighter light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi all,

I may be completely wrong here, but the part that caught my eye from the get go was this:
"tiny holes every 390-480nm"

Now, if we are are talking about InGaAsP based LEDs, the we are likely talking about IR light in the range of 1300-1500nm. My guess is that the spacing of the holes, being roughly 1/3 the wavelength of the emitted light, is such that a horizontal resonance isn't possible, thus preventing the generation of photons in the parallel plane.

Now, technically it seems, a InGaAsP is actually a laser diode as opposed to an LED and they seem to be used a lot in the fiber optic communications area. Which is great news for fiber optics, but not necessarily great news for those of us who want to actually see the light.

If my above theory is true, then a blue die like that used in the Luxeons would need holes spaced at the appropriate ~1/3 wavelength to achieve the same effect. That would mean that the "tiny" holes need to be spaced roughly 155nm apart. Which, of course, should still be do-able, but nobody has actually tested LEDs at this wavelength yet. So it's possible that this technique just doesn't produce the same effect in lower wavelength LED dies. It's also possible that the materials difference precludes the ability to place the holes with any accuracy.

Then again, I'm not a materials science physicist so I may be entirely wrong about the whole thing.

pb

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures shown in the Science article would seem to suggest that they are having no trouble at all creating the precise geometry they want. They report using a "lattice constant" of 300-500 nm and a thickness of 245 nm.

The "photonic bandgap" where the vertical modes are enhanced works for a ratio of lattice constant 'a' to wavelength 'lambda' of a/lambda = 0.27 to 0.33.

Scott

Edited to add:

They used laser pumping with a laser emitting at 980 nm; pulse width was 2 ps with a repetition frequency of 2 MHz. If I am interpreting correctly, they first applied laser light at 10 W/cm^2, then reduced to 0.5 W/cm^2 to match the assumptions in their theoretical calculations. Under the weak excitation condition, they measured at 4 Kelvin.

The authors indicate that the technology is useful for lasers, LEDs, and solar cells.

Again, the article gives me the impression that they demonstrated the accuracy of the theory, not the technology itself. Although they apparently emitted at an average of 400/0.3 = 1333 nm, they seemed to indicate that the method is useful in a broad range of applications.

Science tends not to publish esoteric research. I have the feeling that this "proof of theory" will advance light-related semiconducting by quite a stretch.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Just a mathematical point about a 400 percent increase. A 100 percent increase would be 2x as efficient. Thus a 400 percent increase means 5x as efficient. IIRC, current Luxeons are like 10 percent efficient (???) is that right? Or maybe it's higher. But say it's 10 percent. This 400 percent increase would then mean an LED that was 50 percent efficient at converting electrical energy to visible light.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll add that Cree's best blue chip, the XT-27, produces 27 mW of 460 to 470 nm light with a typical input power of 64 mW (20 mA x 3.2V). This chip is already 42% efficient, and it is actually being mass-produced (although I don't know what LEDs use it). Anyway, a 400% increase there is impossible. At best you might get a 100% or so increase.

Another point is that phosphor-based white LEDs will never approach 100% efficiency becauses of Stokes losses due to the down conversion to white light. In fact, these losses are more with a UV LED and RGB phosphors (the likely approach to future white LEDs) than with a blue LED and yellow phosphor because of the difference in input versus output wavelengths. Therefore, potentially the only way we'll have white light with a near 100% efficiency will be with the RGB color-mixing approach. This of course assumes that we can make red, green, and blue LEDs all with near 100% efficiency. Red and blue are already almost halfway there, but the best green I've seen (Cree's 525 nm, 9 mW chip) is only about 14% efficient. The 400% increase touted in the article could potentially bring this to 70%, and the red and blue to nearly 100%. This would mean white light with ~90% efficiency. With a CRI of 80 and a color temp of 4000K this translates to roughly 360 lm/W. For a CRI of 100 for critical applications we would get roughly 180 lm/W. Both numbers are roughly 3 to 3.5 times what the best comparable fluorescents do.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two sets of light units: the physical, and the physiological. One set measures light output in Watts, and the other, in Lumens. The lumen is a unit of measure arrived at by creating an "ideal eye" (the V-lambda curve) which is more or less an average of many people's eyes' response to light stimulous.

IIRC, at 555 nm the eye is most sensitive to light, and 1 watt of 555 nm light would become 683 lumens of light seen by the eye. 400 and 700 nm are more or less the upper and lower limits of "visible" light.

So, the issue is that just because an LED transforms 43 percent of the electrical energy it receives into photons, i.e. light energy, this in no way translates to a 43 percent luminous efficiency. Do you follow me?

Because if it did, then incandescent filaments would have to be considered to be MUCH more efficient than people here on the forum consider them. Even if we just naively said "All light between 400 and 700 nm counts as 'visible' " even then filaments would have to be considered around 40+ percent efficient. The black body peak of a tungsten filament driven hard is actually only just below the red limit at 750 nm.

However, this is not the way the V-lambda curve and lumens calculations work. At approximately 510 and 610 nm, for example, the V-lamda curve is .5 on the vertical axis. This means that even if a 610 nm LED completely converted electrical energy to photons at that wavelength, it would only be at 50 percent of the theoretical maximum luminous efficiency.

I've been thinking about this for some time, and it's kind of a drag because, who would want a 555 nm yellow-green only light source, right? Well, some people certainly would, I suppose, especially if it were 100 percent efficient.

But, you see my point. The 683 L/w theoretical maximum is a highly artificial number from a conceptual standpoint.

Still, this is the system of calculation that is used when we talk about luminous efficiency. At least I for one do not know of any other.

So to return to the topic at hand, this LED spoken of in the quoted text above as being 43 percent efficient at 460 to 470 nm, would actually only have a luminous efficiency of 4 percent of the theoretical maximum, because the V-lambda curve is about .1 at this frequency. Which means that light at this frequency needs to be 10 times more intense than light at 555 nm to create the same level of optical sensation at the eye.

This is certainly unfair to this LED, and I do not mean to slight it or anything. My intent was to point out that if we are talking in these types of units (mW instead of lumens) then incandescents are pretty kick-*** efficient, as almost all of the electrical power is converted to electromagnetic radiation of some wavelength or other. Granted, a lot of it is in the IR region, but hey, it's still photons. And a whole lot of it is in the low red (but still "visible") region, where it only counts at 10 percent or less in lumens calculations.

OK. Nuf said.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I see your point, js. A 50% efficient LED (in terms of converting input power to photons) puts out many more lumens if it emits at 555 nm instead of 450 nm. In fact, I've seen some commercially available IR LEDs which had efficiencies which I calculated to be in the 40% area but they obviously put out zero visible light. The good news here is that when you mix red, green, and blue to obtain white you end up needing much more green light than red or blue. This is where so-called luminous efficacy comes in. As I said, with the properly chosen center wavelengths for the red, green, and blue emitters it is possible to have white with a CRI of 80 and a CCT of 4000K which has a luminous efficacy of 400 lm/W. Basically this means that if all three colors emitted with 100% efficiency then the light source would put out 400 lumens for every watt of input power. Just for reference, by using 4 colors you can have a luminous efficacy of 330 lm/W with a CRI of 95, and 5 colors gives you a luminous efficacy of 320 lm/W with a CRI of 98. These are the upper bounds on what any light source of a given CRI can approach. As you already pointed out, if you restrict yourself to a monochromatic source of 555 nm the theoretical maximum is 683 lm/W but that obviously wouldn't make a very useful light source. I did hear Lumileds is focusing on green LEDs for streetlight but after seeing how awful sodium vapor is in terms of aesthetics I feel we should use "white", perhaps with a CRI of 80 for better efficiency.

[ QUOTE ]

This is certainly unfair to this LED, and I do not mean to slight it or anything. My intent was to point out that if we are talking in these types of units (mW instead of lumens) then incandescents are pretty kick-*** efficient, as almost all of the electrical power is converted to electromagnetic radiation of some wavelength or other.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the same can be said for LEDs. What doesn't come out as light ultimately also comes out a heat. However, it is heat at a lower temperature (and therefore much longer wavelength) than the heat coming from incandescents. Therefore, most of it goes into increasing the local air flow around the LED heat sink instead of the radiant heat coming from incandescents. In fact, by definition 100% of the energy going into both types of light sources must be changed into some other type of energy. Efficiency is merely a (manufactured) measure of how much of the energy input goes into producing the desired output (light in this case, motion in the case of an electric motor). The undesired output, heat in both cases, may or may not be useful depending upon how cold a climate you live in. Assuming that you can use the heat for something, then either an LED or an incandescent is 100% efficient at converting input power to some sort of useable output. Just as an aside, if we could find some way to recover and use waste heat, perhaps with more efficient thermoelectric modules, you could increase the overall efficiency, albeit in a very roundabout way, of either type of lighting even if you don't improve the efficiency of the light emitter itself.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962,

I totally agree. I know that "the same can be said for LEDs" I thought, actually, that it already WAS said and that I was just pointing out that you can say the same thing about incandescents.

But in any case, I think you have said it much better. I really really appreciated your numbers on CRI vs. theoretical maximum Lumens/watt. Excellent stuff, and just what I was looking for. I suppose that a black body radiator with a peak at 555 nm and a CRI of 100 (by definition) would have an efficiency of something like 300-400 Lumens/watt (???). Tungsten filament lamps are about at their practical limit at 37 l/w, and if you push them right to their melting point and use xenon gas and high pressure, you can acheive (so I've read) 42 l/w. This would maybe explain why I've heard people say that incans are about 10 percent efficient. Because obviously, if you compare 37 l/w against 683 l/w you don't get 10 percent.

For reasonably "white" light, I would think that 350 lumens/watt is probably a good back of the envelope number for maximum luminous efficiency, judging by what you've said about CRI and l/w. Great stuff. Thanks very much.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
js,

Here is the source where I got those lumen per watt figures from (see Figure 6 on page 10). The entire 94 page document is an interesting read and also a great reference.

I concur that 350 lm/W is a good general rule of thumb for a decent white light source. This corresponds to a CRI of about 88 with 3 color sources or 93 with four color sources. I personally find any light source with a CRI in the high 80s and up to be more than acceptable for most illumination tasks.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
I suppose that a black body radiator with a peak at 555 nm and a CRI of 100 (by definition) would have an efficiency of something like 300-400 Lumens/watt (???).

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I heard that the luminous efficacy for visible portion of the solar spectrum is 200 lm/W. Since incandescents are also a blackbody radiator, albeit at a lower temperature, the corresponding figure might be a bit lower, maybe 160 or 170 lm/W. The 10% figure is usually quoted for typical household incandescents which are roughly 17 lm/W. The best incandescents are probably closer to 20% efficiency but at the expense of very short filament life.

BTW, if we could develop a material which remains solid at 6600K then you could theoretically have a 95 lm/W incandescent lamp. Unfortunately, such a high temperature black body would also emit copious amounts of UV.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962,

I love it! Thanks so much for that reference. I'll be reading it from cover to cover.