**Updated with photos**NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

Awesome.
I've never been to NY, but when I go, I will try & coordinate this tour.

The other underground tour I would like to take is the on under Paris.
http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stories/articles/paris00.asp

I made the Paris tour three times. It is really something special and creepy, almost unimaginable:

P7130014.jpg

P7130019.jpg

P7130013.jpg

bernie

Burgess

Flashaholic

What a Great thread here !

Thank you, everyone.

:candle:
_

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

Hey again guys and sorry for the delay in pictures.

Alot of things going on between broken feet, new semesters, etc etc.

Any who here are some pictures I took that day, there are many more but some are not good quality because #1 my camera stinks, #2 its REALLY dark down there.

As far as if I liked the experience.... YES I have to say stopping traffic and climbing down a manhole cover in the winter of NYC is very fun(not for the drivers) When you climb down the man hole there is a about 50 foot "passage" way that leads to an hole in the wall marked orange around the doorway(as seen in pictures). Once you go through that hole there is a 15 foot drop, but dont worry there is steps. I was one of the first people down in the tunnel so we had to wait about 10 minutes for all of the people to get down and I mean ALL. So that gave me the opportunity to take some shots, and test a few lights. After everyone comes down the tour guide(also founder of tunnel Bob Diamond) gives up a brief history. Then after about 15 minutes we continue down the tunnel. Bob proceeds to give more history pointing out vent holes, way the walls were constructed, etc. After another 15-20 we proceed further. Again, another history lesson about how he founded the tunnel, things he did to do so and so on. This goes on about 4 times. We now get to the end. A massive wall(supposedly 4 stories thick) made of rock and weird things sticking out. Bob tells us they believe a steam locomotive is behind that tunnel and they are trying to raise funds and get the community's help along with city agency's to dig through that wall. Once we got to the end Bob told us that we were running a little late and the tour after us was getting a little too cold out side. We then made our way back to the steps, in the passage way and out the man hole........ Tour over!

Well after that summary of what went on here is my thoughts. Like I said above I think climbing down the manhole was the funnest part for me. I loved the history lesson but at times standing there for 20 minutes got just a tad boring. And I was not the only one who started to "wander" around. Other than that, the tour was GREAT. I would love to go again and this time take my father as I know he would love it.

Now, just one more thing before the pictures(I know I know, this guy wont shut up) My flashlight experience! I brought several including my Eagletac M2XC4, PD30+, Yellow G2 3mode R2 dropin, E1b(found its way in my brothers pocket), and P2D.
I had so much fun with those things between showing off and actually using them for their intended purposes. I was the only one there with a flashlight over 20$. One person had a maglite everyone else had cheapo showerhead where they couldnt see 5 feet in front of them. A few people approached me when I had my PD30, in fact a group of people in their 20's said HOLY S%#^ thats a bright light can I see it. So I said you guys want to see a bright light? And I pulled the eagletac from my bag. They didnt have words when I put that thing on high and you could see the end of the tunnel(we were just about in the middle of the tunnel)
Soon after a women tapped me on the shoulder and said "could you use that big light again so I can take a picture". I was more than happy.

Ok ok, here are the pictures.

dscn0460.jpg

Stairs to main tunnel
dscn0462.jpg

Walls
dscn0481.jpg

Original ladder to climb down the drop(before steps were built)
dscn0488.jpg

Ventilation Hole
dscn0492.jpg

dscn0493.jpg

Founder Bob Diamond
dscn0496.jpg

dscn0498.jpg

Another Vent
dscn0501.jpg

dscn0502.jpg

dscn0503.jpg

dscn0506.jpg

Most used light with SF Lanyard around neck
dscn0511.jpg

Only source of light down there which really did not do much
dscn0515.jpg

Yet another vent
dscn0520.jpg

End wall
dscn0534.jpg

dscn0546.jpg

Going back to the passage which leads to manhole
dscn0553.jpg

dscn0557.jpg

dscn0559.jpg

Watch your head coming down and going up!
dscn0562.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as me!

Last edited:

Ajay

Enlightened

Thanks for the write up Cosmo! Good pics even in that low light. Lemme guess...you're the dude with the headlamp?:tinfoil:

I'll be there on the Feb 14th tour...Guess I'm gonna walk with every light I have just to test them out...:devil:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool pics dude, thanks for taking the time and giving us a review with pics :thumbsup:

I'm may check it out soon myself, sounds like fun!

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Thanks for the write up Cosmo! Good pics even in that low light. Lemme guess...you're the dude with the headlamp?:tinfoil:

I'll be there on the Feb 14th tour...Guess I'm gonna walk with every light I have just to test them out...:devil:

Haha, nope not him. I am the one behind the camera :whistle:

Cool pics dude, thanks for taking the time and giving us a review with pics :thumbsup:

I'm may check it out soon myself, sounds like fun!

You really should, its a good time.

these are fun pics.

question... how does that dude fit in a manhole?:naughty:

Haha, Bob says the hole was not that big when he first discovered the tunnel. He then said the "the manhole got bigger as I did"

Too funny, that was my first thought scrolling through the pics.

2nd thought.... where do the vents vent to ?

When you look directly up at them you see nothing... I would say at one point they vented into the above street.

Why can't anyone go down there on their own at any time?

I would say for a number of things... Safety being the #1 thing. Also who knows what people would do down there. Drink, smoke, the naughty :devil:, dump bodies, heck even terrorism(four stories beneath NYC and quite a long tunnel, I am sure you can do ALOT of damage)... the list keeps going... Not to mention the manhole is in the middle of a very very busy street.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I would say for a number of things... Safety being the #1 thing. Also who knows what people would do down there. Drink, smoke, the naughty :devil:, dump bodies, heck even terrorism(four stories beneath NYC and quite a long tunnel, I am sure you can do ALOT of damage)... the list keeps going... Not to mention the manhole is in the middle of a very very busy street.

Well I mean is he a city employee, or pay a license fee to get legit police permit access? It's not like he owns the manhole or tunnel.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool to see the pictures, Cosmo--thanks! That Bob looks a little creepy... in one shot, looks like he has peculiar tan circles under his eyes, as if he were some kind of nocturnal being. ;)

I called up and the Feb 14th date is now booked. However, the one after that on March 7th is still open. Might be a little better to do it that weekend, because of the warmer temps. Incidentally, the tour has a $15 per person fee (might be a little cheaper for kids).

Bob probably has a city permit to do these tours, as some kind of "benefit" he got for having directed this tunnel recovery project over the last 3 decades. Considering the tour is 2 hours and he makes $15 a head, that's a pretty good score. I wouldn't go down there without him, though. He knows the place in-and-out, plus when you're with a group you've got much more protection from any unsavory people, as well as much more assistance in the case of something going wrong.

Btw, do cell phones work down there?

Last edited:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Lux, sorry for misinterpreting your post.

He is the president of the Brooklyn Historic Rail Association so I am sure he can do some things we can as far as tunnels go.
Also, I am sure he needs permission from the city.

And both my Blackberry and brothers Iphone(tmobile and ATT) did not have service.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Does he make you sign a release? With poor lighting, I can imagine if someone fell on a ladder, got stuck in a manhole, or ran into a roving Orc.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Cosmo7809 --

A wonderful description, and photographs !

:twothumbs

BTW, how many electric bulbs are down there ?

Are they strung-up all the way ?

Or, just when you first climb down ?

I gather it was actually much darker than the photos suggest.

Correct ?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:
_

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
to Cosmo7809 --

A wonderful description, and photographs !

:twothumbs

BTW, how many electric bulbs are down there ?

Are they strung-up all the way ?

Or, just when you first climb down ?

I gather it was actually much darker than the photos suggest.

Correct ?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:
_

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, it is much darker.

As far as how many lights... I would say 20 or so..

Does he make you sign a release? With poor lighting, I can imagine if someone fell on a ladder, got stuck in a manhole, or ran into a roving Orc.

Yes, you must sign a consent form.

Talk about a coincidence, watching channel 4 news here in NYC and see they have a video up about the tunnel. I checked the news site and nothing yet but they did say info will be put up. Hopefully they will have the video as well. Here it is
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/station/as..._New_York.html

Last edited: