**Updated with photos**NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how busy Bob is going to get after people have seen this news spot on NBC. Get yer reservayshunz in now!! ;)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for that LINK to this great Video.

This is a Cool Thread !

lovecpf
_

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

Pardon my ignorance, but why is there a pile of human skulls and bones underneath Paris???!!!!

I made the Paris tour three times. It is really something special and creepy, almost unimaginable:

P7130014.jpg

P7130019.jpg

P7130013.jpg

bernie

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
city grew, they ran out of space. plus contamination from cemeteries
"The decision was made to use an underground section of quarries in Paris, and the bones from Paris' city cemeteries were moved underground between 1786 and 1788."

i wonder if the catacombs are still closed now. i'm still pissed off i missed my chance when i went to paris last sept.(vandalised) :mecry:

residue

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the excellent find and pre tour advice.

for those considering the trip, cosmo's descriptions are spot on and his photographs far surpass my own. crawling into the manhole was definitely a treat. bob diamond was a great guide and the tunnel is obviously a source of pride and good fortune. the end was a little rushed since we spent about 2 hours underground and there was a second group waiting on the sidewalk.

on to the lights!
while standing on line outside, i spent time identifying the lights people were carrying as they approached. there were the requisite mags, 99 cent plastic c/d cell lights, multi led showerheads and a red anglelux. a few carried headlamps that appeared to be petzls. nothing screamed insane person willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on handheld lights.

for myself, i brought a cr2 ion, an altin draco, an old school surefire u2 w/donut hole and a jetbeam m1x w/life preserver hole. the cr2 ion stayed in my bag as it's attached to my keys and i didn't want to chance losing them. i tried the draco a few times and it was among the brighter lights but the tunnel was quite long and dark so i quickly put it away for something with more throw. the u2 got the most use. i'd set it to low when we stopped for a bit of history and cranked it up to highlight a feature and for walking. it was dark but 2/3 or 3/4 of the tunnel was lit by a string of incandescent lightbulbs. one could survive without a light on the tour considering the 100 or so other people milling around.

as far as the m1x, it was beasty. the thing was brighter than all other lights combined and i felt almost silly when it was turned on. the tunnel could still swallow it up eventually but the effect of its output was certainly dramatic. it took me some time to realize that i needed to stand in front of the group so as not to waste my time illuminating the back of people's heads. i didn't hear any comments about how ridiculously bright the m1x was or any complaints about spoiling the atmosphere. honestly, i don't think anyone cared enough to be impressed.

if you're going to go -
bring a medium light for when bob is talking and something brighter to use briefly as you move down the tunnel.
do not wear anything you mind getting dirty. there's sand, dirt and dusty air down there.
practice taking low light pictures if you're going to bring a camera.
bring a jacket. it was actually about as cold underground as it was outside today (low 50s).

i hope other cpf members notice this thread as i'd love to hear more experiences. i wish cpf had a dedicated forum for these types of stories as it's tough to sift through the endless posts about buying suggestions for a true gem such as this. the tour is a must see for anyone in new york that wants a legit use for their flashlights and an intriguing bit of history for regular inhabitants.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Pardon my ignorance, but why is there a pile of human skulls and bones underneath Paris???!!!!

They ran out of space in the cemetaries during the great pest in Europe. I forgto the details, but there's info at the site if you enter. So they stacked bones in the catacombs. About 4 millions or so IIRC. A very intriguing and creepy place. You literally walk miles long between stacks of bones up to the ceiling.
bernie

Fulgeo

Enlightened

Just be careful down there and look out for roving bands of vampires. There used to be a show called "Night Stalker" and he was always chasing vampires around the old abandoned subway tunnels. :eek:

Interesting thread. Warning geek alert. When I read this post I started to wonder hmmm LED vs Incandescent as pertaining to vampires? Should I start a new thread and start a new round of flames and rudeness. I would think that its all about the UV and that being said your normal LED flashlight would be worthless unless you built it with specific UV LEDs. Then if you built it with UV LEDs I wondered what wave length of UV vampires where specifically vulnerable to. Then I thought heck I would just remove the glass envelope from your typical HID bulb and let it crank out the UV and dispose of said vampires. Then I wondered hey what's on the Sci-Fi channel? Sorry :D. But back on track tunnel touring sounds interesting. I wonder if something like this can be found in most metropolises or can be started up?

residue

Newly Enlightened
some pics to supplement cosmo's collection -

it's a busy avenue even on a sunday morning
p307004328medium29.jpg

the approach
p307005628medium29.jpg

down a flight of rickety wooden stairs
p307008228medium29.jpg

it's about 0.4 miles of darkness. the markers in the distance are incandescent lightbulbs.
p307006428medium29.jpg

Latest posts