Updating a Surefire M3T?

Rustpot

Newly Enlightened
I'm in need of a little assistance. I have an old M3T (the body just says Millenium Series M3 Combatlight, but it's a wider head). It works fine, but the old light pales to my newer 6PX (320lumen), E2B (500lumen), heck even my old G2Z LED (110lumen?) seems brighter.

It's a 3-cell body with an MN61 lamp, even with fresh batteries it throws a tired-looking beam, not very round, not very bright, kind of yellow. I know it's an old setup, but I remember when this thing felt like I was holding the Sun in my hand. Doing a little looking I might have the wrong lamp in here? It seems to fit and work.

Is there anything I can do to update this light? I see an M3T LED conversion on Lumens Factory rated at 400 lumen for 3 hours of run time
http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=309&cid=6&sid=15&page=1
Is that a solid unit? Are the lumen numbers reliable that I can spend $40 and have a light that can hang with the modern lights? Is there another brand that makes a replacement for this? 400 for 3 hours sounds great, I really like the increased run time for sure.

What else is available? I looked around and saw photos of similar lights with different heads, different tail caps, extensions, etc.

Thanks!

sgt253

Enlightened
Hey Rustpot,
I believe the MN61(350 lumens) lamp needs 4 cr123a batteries to power it. If its in a 3 cell body it needs another cell to drive it to spec. You are probably underdriving it. M3T lamps are the MN15 (125 lumens) and MN16 (225 lumens). Hope this helps.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anything I can do to update this light? I see an M3T LED conversion on Lumens Factory rated at 400 lumen for 3 hours of run time
http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=309&cid=6&sid=15&page=1
Is that a solid unit? Are the lumen numbers reliable that I can spend $40 and have a light that can hang with the modern lights? Is there another brand that makes a replacement for this? 400 for 3 hours sounds great, I really like the increased run time for sure.

What else is available? I looked around and saw photos of similar lights with different heads, different tail caps, extensions, etc.

Thanks!
You say it's a wider head, is it a Turbo? If not, Lumens Factory also makes a Turbo head for the M series lights.

Besides the LED M3T drop in you found, did you look at the incan M3 drop ins Lumens Factory has? Not a lot of run time, but will do a better job than what you are using now.

I have several Lumens Factory lights/drop ins, and love them all. The workmanship is great, as is the performance. And they are very responsive to their customers as well. Mark at Lumens Factory is a member here and drops in from time to time. I think you will like whatever you pick out of theirs for your light.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 3-cell body with an MN61 lamp,
You can consider or at least learn about following possibilities.
1- You can power up MN61 in M3T body and 3xIMR16340. 3xIMR18350 in bored out body is better.
2- You can power up MN61 in M3T body using cell extender and 4 primary.
3- Get bored out M4 and use pair of IMR18650 to power up MN20. Bored out M3 body and 18mm extender will do same job.
4- Get readily available 2x18650 body to power up MN20. Something like this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...oodies-Leef-C-to-M-2-x-18650-Malkoff-Camo-MD2
5- Get 2xIMR 26500 body or even 2xIMR 26670 body for same bulb.

There are other options and you will most likely use your flashlight more often with rechargeable batteries.

Rustpot

Newly Enlightened
How much material needs to be removed to have a "bored" light for rechargeables? I hadn't considered using them, the expense of modification, sourcing batteries and chargers, making sure they're "good" cells, it's kept me away (one less thing to spend money on right now).

I just ordered the Lumens Factory LED module. The run time is pretty attractive on that unit. 400 is pretty bright (if that compares well to Surefire's ratings) and 3 hours is a pretty solid run time.

I think I go through about 6 sets of CR123s a year. I have an E2B next to my bed, which is great for a 5/500 lumen light, a few weaponlights that don't get used too much (Scout 600, X300U, XC1, Insight WMLx), a 6PX on my desk, an old G2 at work, a G2Z LED in my work bag, maybe some others I've misplaced in drawers. So a box of 12 lasts me a year or so. This M3T will be in the trunk bag and used for hunting/camping.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not necessary to have a light bored out to use rechargeables anymore. At one time, there was a big capacity difference between 16 mm cells (the diameter of a CR123) and 18mm cells, so that it paid to go to the trouble of boring out a light in order to get the greater capacity. Today, you could use three RCR123, three 16340, or two 16500 cells with the Lumens Factory module without any problems. Most Surefire lights will also accept 17mm cells, but some don't. It would be wise to find a micrometer and check the inside diameter of your light before buying any 17mm cells like a 17640 or a 17500.
A good charger to go along with those cells would be the Nitecore D4 or the Xtar VC4.