US Postal Service is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLH

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a package from North Carolina I live in Florida. They said it would take 4 to 14 days, the seller didn't get a tracking number. After 13 days I thought I would never get it and asked the postman if he saw it, but on the 14th day I got it. Moral of the story "I will never buy a package online that doesn't offer a tracking number"

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to the USPS, a tracking number is not necessarily worth anything :(

Half of the time, tracking doesn't work

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to the USPS, a tracking number is not necessarily worth anything :(

Half of the time, tracking doesn't work

Half the time is a better track record than their insurance doing you any good. I once purchased a Lumapower Encore from Battery Junction. The light arrived DOA. I sent it back USPS insured. The company sent me a new one. I dropped the new one two feet onto a wooden step a day later, and the new one stopped working. This time when I shipped the light back USPS insured, I asked the company to replace it with another similarly priced light (that was more durable). They were fine with that. Two weeks pass by and I haven't received the light. I called Battery Junction and they said they never received the light. I went to the Post Office and told them that my package didn't arrive to the destination. They had me call their claims office which is an autodialing maze of beaucracy that never lets you talk to a real person. They had me put my complaint into one of their fixed categories of known screwups. The category I put their screwup in was that the package never reached the destination. About a month later, I got a letter in the mail that said my claim was denied because someone signed for the package and it reached a destination. Apparently, if the package reaches a destination, the insurance no longer covers it (even if it's the wrong destination). Someone at the wrong address they sent my package to signed for it. I went back to the Post Office pissed off and they said all that they could do was sell me a copy of the information that might let me know where my package had gone. I had spent over $30 already, shipping a $50 flashlight 3 times to get one working flashlight and I had nothing to show for it. They not only refused my claim when I had insurance and they were clearly at fault, but they tried to rob me of more money in the hopes that I might get a second chance gambling that I might get my money back fighting against their beauracracy. I walked out and took the loss rather than try to deal with them again.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I had an idea the other day when posting here. What if instead of them going postal on us, WE go postal on them?

I wouldn't mind having them go belly up but I like my two mail carriers, they are very cool people AND, I wouldn't have any way to
send small stuff cheap.
Sure, someone else would pick up the slack but if they had no competition...?

I'm happy to admit that the customer service people I've spoken to on the phone have been super nice. However, they don't make
the decisions so there's not much help.

I also understand that they routinely deny many or most claims...there's a surprise.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are getting worse as time goes on. I'd say that out of every 4 packages I order or send, at least one will disappear off the grid of the tracking system for at least a few days, then suddenly reappear several days later, then take at least another day or 3 to get to me. It used to be that Priority mail was considered express mail, and it was guaranteed to get to you in 2 days, which is why it costs more than double what first class costs. But I just had an e-cigarette package delivered earlier this week, and it took 4 days to get here from Tx. Thats the same amount of time that first class should take. I have had a few lights lost in the mail this year, and although they eventually reappeared, it took almost 1.5 - 2 weeks for them to reach their destination. I also have a problem with our mail carrier who has this terrible habit of forgetting to deliver a package, even though he marks it on his little computer as being delivered, then he quickly sneaks it into my box the next day!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least my mail carriers are awesome and as a matter of fact, they are the only postal people around here that I like.

I learned a log time ago to certify or register or pay for some kind of option that shows the other party has signed.

I even do it when I send off a rebate worth more than say 30 bucks. I do NOT trust the US MAIL.
It's about as bad as the Spanish mail which was horrendous.
It has been too long since I lived there so I'm not going to say which one's worse but they both suck big time.

Sexist Comment removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS can be bad at times, but I've seen that DHL is way worse. They are the only company that I have seen that will throw your package up the stairs so that it hits the door, just so they don't have to go up the stairs and knock. Yes they have done this delivering packages to my house more than once.

ToyTank

Enlightened
Hundreds of packages and I've never had an issue with USPS.

The USPS is legally obligated to serve all Americans, regardless of geography, at uniform price and quality.

Frankly I wish there was some flexibility in their mandate- Jack up junk mail and bulk mail rates.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you Tank. I am soo tired of all the junk I get and I can only imagine all the trees they cut down for this :(

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll admit, I've never had a problem with USPS mail being lost, stolen, damaged, etc.

BUT, every time I walk into a post office and wait in line I want to end my life by driving an ice pick through my right eyeball. Never have I experienced such slow service from typically rude people.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
OK folks I don't see much point in letting this thread go on any longer - I'm seeing a series of assumptions, some of which I know to be factually incorrect as well as more than just a bit of drama. If the OP would like to post an update when his lights arrive, I would be happy to reopen this thread for that.

If folks want to complain further about the USPS, cast aspersions on their employees (federal or contractor), or for that matter complain about any other Federal agency, please feel free continue in the CPF Underground.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.