USL updates!!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too difficult. I click the link you've provided, which expands to show the full sized original. I then save it to disk and use Canon's Zoombrowser EX 5 (since I manage my photos shot with the EOS 350D/Digital Rebel XT using that utility) to read the EXIF data.

EXIF is a dirty little secret, almost every modern digital camera saves invisible EXIF metadata in an image.

Here's a sample of data saved by my camera of a 2mpixel shot I took of a U2:

File Name
Image_0002.JPG
Camera Model
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Shooting Date/Time
7/3/2005 21:28:37
Shooting Mode
Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
28.0 - 105.0mm
Focal Length
28.0mm
Image Size
1728x1152
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
On
Flash Type
Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation
Red-eye Reduction
Off
Shutter curtain sync
1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode
Auto
AF Mode
One-Shot AF
Parameters Settings
Contrast Mid. High
Sharpness Mid. High
Color saturation Mid. High
Color tone 0
Color Space
sRGB
Noise Reduction
Off
File Size
906KB
Custom Function
C.Fn:01-0
C.Fn:02-0
C.Fn:03-0
C.Fn:04-0
C.Fn:05-0
C.Fn:06-0
C.Fn:07-0
C.Fn:08-0
C.Fn:09-0
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name
K
Camera Body No.

I typically use this data to learn what settings I used to take a particular image, and why they worked/did not work/I screwed it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif this is a tremendously powerful learning tool if you are getting into the nuts and bolts of photography.

For shortening URLs and links, instead of using Quick Reply at the bottom of the page, click the "Reply" link on a post and then you will be taken to the full Reply screen with shortcuts to shorten URLs and links.

Don't worry about it Bill.. you have your talents too; I would never have been able to come up with something of the USL's caliber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

PS: Besides, if you want to sit down with me, there are a few beers with your name on it waiting here if you or the USL people ever drop by my neck of the woods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mst3k

Enlightened
Man those pix are far more beautiful than all the fireworks I saw July 4th nite. If I had all those sitting on my table, I would be very hard pressed to let even one of them go! I guess its a good thing that Im not building them, huh??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Kevin said. Except that programmer's just type it in!

To display a smaller image that can be clicked to view a larger version, use

[_url=<font color="red"><url_for_image_file></font>]<font color="red"><title_or_url_to_smaller_image_file_to_be_displayed></font>[/url].

If you just want to post a picture with no link to a larger version, it's just

[_image]<font color="red"><url_for_image_file></font>][/image]

where everything in red, including "<" and ">", is replaced with the url for the file.

So, to display the first image as a small one linking to a larger one, I used

[_url=//hotwireguys.com/codeman/USLfinals013.jpg][_image]http://hotwireguys.com/codeman/USLfinals013.png[/image][/url].

If I'd just wanted to post the small picture without the link, I would have used

[_image]//hotwireguys.com/codeman/USLfinals013.png][/image]

I placed some underscores in each example so that the code will display in this post. The underscores need to be removed to actually diaplay the images in a post.

After you've done it enough, the full reply window's shortcuts are long cuts, but they are great if you don't have the syntax down pat.

Kevin, how much are we getting paid by Bill for this online learning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics, BTW!

The text that Bill's responding to in the next post was editted out by me at the same time - Sorry Bill! It was just computer babble...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I know!!! That's why I said I need to spend a week with one of you! I always try to pick peoples brains so I can learn the computer stuff I don't use much.

My Dad was one of the Air Forces first programmers, he knew all that BASIC, COBOL, and FORTRAN stuff and tried to help me understand programming, but I guess my brain must have a non-linear sequencing pattern, because I didn't/don't get it!

I was that kid in Math that the teacher was giving F's to because I would put the right answer, but no work, and he thought I was cheating. Finally, in high school I said, "Give me the test first, the hour before anyone else takes it." He did. I still got the right answers and couldn't show the work.

He finally gave up, gave be a B+ for the class and said, "You get the right answers, but you don't understand why and in the end it will cause problems. Since you have the right answers, I can't give you anything else, but hopefully you'll run into a teacher who will help you figure out how YOU solve the problems!" It never did cause problems, except I stayed away from all those Calculus classes!!

Bill

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Codeman said:
It's easy Bill, you're gonna hate me for posting this. If you're using Windows XP, open "My Computer", put your cursor over the original image file and wait a second!

There is a lot more info stored, but you need software to see it, such as Exifer.

Heckuva wait to say you're welcome, though, ain't it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No need for extra software to see the rest of the info, just right click the saved image and select Properties, then go to the Summary tab and click on the Advanced button.

Sigbjoern

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops, after I posted that last one, I went back and stripped it out, thinking you were referring to the exif data, and not the image stuff. Then, you go and reply while I'm stripping it out, and no one has a clue what your posting about - my bad!

And now I'm learning something from Sigbjoern!

Now, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, the new pics...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just raked a couple of people over the coals today over the programming issue. I utterly, firmly believe that you do not need to be a good programmer to be in the information technology sector. My calling and specialization is as a ISP network engineer and I DO NOT program. I can - FLDB and the CPF MicroFAQ were 100% handwritten in PHP as were some projects for work running into tens of thousands of lines of code which I would rather not talk about, but just because I don't like programming and would rather not do it. The academics look down on me, oh yes, we will see who has the last laugh when I blackhole all their BGP4 routes, inject faulty routes into their autonomous system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif or I use GMPLS/MPLS traffic engineering to ensure 90% of their packets are randomly dropped and the rest are sent over the highest latency, highest hop route. (in short, I can make every webpage they load take 2 hours to download if I wanted to) HERE IS YOUR TURF, PLZ KEEP IT MKKKKK GET OFF MY NET!!!

We seem to work a similar way, I can dish out solutions, and thank god, at least there are some enlightened employers out there which believe in solutions and could care less how I go about achieving them. When it comes to real live operations, nobody can deny the results, but nobody knows how they're done, either.

But back to the point about the USL..

The pics look like the bodies have been bored out and are merely awaiting installation of the front end and the battery pack. We're close.. I can almost smell it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closer, at least!!

The pics were more blurry than I wanted, which means I'm too used to looking at my wifes work, I suppose, but I unpacked everything and thought the layout looked pretty cool and you would all enjoy the pics.

When I get ready for the build, I'll pull everything again and take better pics with the new camera and we'll go from there. I'll include pics of assembly so that if something goes wrong once people have received their lights they can see how I screwed up!:)

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as your soldering and assembly isn't blurry, we won't mind blurry pictures. But, you're right. You've been looking at J's pictures too much. These are fine!

Kevin - the flip side of that is that us programmers always blame slow apps on the network weenies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

The main app I support had 415,000 lines back in Aug '03. It's probably close to 500k now. That doesn't include 3rd-party libraries, either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The scary thing is that there's only 3 people that know the code.

No, what would be scary would be us teaming up on something!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Funny.. I was just looking at my sig and wondering about the 100 lumens quote. I just need the USL to arrive and then I can change it to "Breakfast begins at 2500 lumens" with a picture of an egg on my USL. Speaking of which I think I need an extra Borofloat in case I mess mine up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of which - whatever happened to the mini fry pan accessory
Inclassable34.gif
. With the USL getting close to being finished, I hope some enterprising individual comes up with something .

If not, I might just have to try and jerry rig something myself
Christo_pull_hair.gif
. Does anyone know where you can get tin Teflon coated? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to clean burnt sugar from the marshmallow movie off of the Borafloat relatively easily with Goo Gone. Burnt egg shouldn't be too bad.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Codeman said:
I was able to clean burnt sugar from the marshmallow movie off of the Borafloat relatively easily with Goo Gone. Burnt egg shouldn't be too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got the proto back today from PF4, and as soon as it cools down, back on the charger. I added a UCL from flashlightlens.com and it shows no evidence of damage after three runs. (My warm and fuzzy has returned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Bill, the batteries are in, what's the status on the lamps?

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Uh, Ray, I didn't try the UCL with an egg! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Larry

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman.. between me and the academics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif but once I'm out here with fellow working professionals or even better, flashaholics, it's all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Did y'all eat the egg after cooking? I intend to eat it with ketchup and report how it tastes. Of course this probably means using soap and water to clean off the USL's bezel so that it is food-friendly.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to spray it with some non-stick cooking spray first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane