USL updates!!!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least there is still ONE lighthearted thread on CPF!

Or maybe I should take offense at my light being made LIGHT of!!

NAAAAWWWW!

Keep it up guys!!

Bill

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just got back on this thread ...rather late it seems to offer my Triton but, just so you don't all think I'm stingy...use it if you need to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Errr, um, ditto what karlthev said. (I have been "lost" in several of those "less fun" threads since yesterday. What was I thinking?). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Thanks for LIGHTening, my mood, guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a house was burned bown by a USL and news got out that a 2D M*glite did it, the m*g company would lose lots of customers.

Jeff

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Agreed Bill, this is a "dark side" free thread, and a credit to the forums. Keep up the hard work, I'm getting hungry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just to make sure it continues to be dark side free, how about some pre-build shots with captions, all courtesy of bwaites (images may be clicked to view a larger version):

Lots of pretty circles, what are those?

Oh no, could it be? Maybe, possibly?

Look Ma!! It is, it is!!

Lots of pretty USL parts, all waiting for the electrons that make them work!!

Look at all the pretty colors!

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhh!

[Ray's added comments]

My first real light was a Surefire e2 Executive. Assuming 2,500 lumens for the USL (about 70% efficiency from the Osram bulb), we'd need 3,834 e2's to throw the same amount of light as these 92 USL's will:

<font color="red">230,000 Lumens of screaming white light</font>! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Yeah, baby!

Put another way, it would take 42 e2's to equal the output of just 1 USL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill - on that last shot, how did you get the star effect on the back row? I've tried repeatedly to do that, but I don't have proper star filters. My attempts always fail! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, at the end of a long day from Hell (thank God it's Friday), I simply dunno what's more awesome - seeing all those pictures of dozens of USLs, or realizing that one of them has my name on it... that is just sweet.

It's times like these I am glad I said "yes" to the USL from day one.

Congratulations folks.. the USL is not just a light, it is an EXPERIENCE. The photos, in a way, are making us part of the build process like few other lights would have. I can go out and buy a nice commercial light right now but it simply can't beat seeing a custom job unfold before your eyes.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's ya a challenge, Bill. Get some family and friends to help get them all turned on at the same time and take a beamshot of that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Just kiddin', of course, though it would be an awesome sight to see! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL - if life begins at 100 lumens, where are you at now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,

You use a cheap digital camera that came as a throw in with a scanner!!!

No joke!

However, I suspect the lighting was the big aid. This was lit with mulitple colored overhead MR16's on track lighting and a 100 watt halogen desk lamp and then I used the flash for fill.

I'll have a Nikon D70 to use in the next couple of weeks, so these might be my last shots with the cheapie.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing!

BTW - Bill, I think you need to add "Who's your photon daddy, now!" to your sigline!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a cheapie digital that sure is good. Your EXIF metadata indicates it was shot with a Fuji Finepix 1300.

Nikon D70... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Yeah I'm becoming a bit of a camera nut, because my latest flashlight kinda comes with a lot of extra features besides a momentary strobe.

Funny.. I was just looking at my sig and wondering about the 100 lumens quote. I just need the USL to arrive and then I can change it to "Breakfast begins at 2500 lumens" with a picture of an egg on my USL. Speaking of which I think I need an extra Borofloat in case I mess mine up.

I also need some corn chips to test out the BWaites Firestarter. Last BBQ I was at, a friend of mine had to fan and fan and fan to start the silly thing. I am thinking I'll bring the chips and the USL to the next event, get it kickstarted in 60 seconds.

Have I thanked you guys yet for lighting up my life? You all are AWESOME. It is truly a priviledge to have been invited to be a part of the USL project.

(edited to fix link: forgot that hotlinking isn't acceptable CPF practice, so I put the image on my own server)

marcspar

Enlightened
The more I delve through the pages and pages of posts on the usl and its development (way back to the mule) the more excited I get; this light is not only great for what it (a flamethrower) but how it came to be.

Advance thanks to Bill, Ray, Jim, Wilkey, Larry and the others who sweated out all the details on the light.

And a big thanks to prescottrecorder for letting me take his place in the list.

Marc

ps - that triton manual does have LOTS of information - thanks to who ever suggested reading it; I normally avoid manuals like the plague, but I see the importance here.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marc, I'm sure I must have missed it at some point but,where can I find the Triton manual--I guess it was posted or referenced on the forum? Thanks.

Karl

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, you might want to edit again - that's a strange looking flashlight! And darned expensive given the light output! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

karlthev, here's the Triton manual.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL,

How you do 'dat?

I probably should spend a week with you and Ray, because I can't even make my links small, and you guys are pulling off the kind of camera I use from pictures that I send to Ray who posts them because I can't figure out how to make posting them myself work consistently!!

Somethings SO WRONG there!!

Thanks for posting those Ray, since I forgot to thank you earlier.

The D70 will be one of my wife's work cameras, she currently uses two F100's and an N80 for her stuff, but is going to use the Digital for Sports Photography.

I've resisted pushing her towards Digital, but she has decided she doesn't want to waste that much film for good photos when you have to take so many to get a few.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easy Bill, you're gonna hate me for posting this. If you're using Windows XP, open "My Computer", put your cursor over the original image file and wait a second!

There is a lot more info stored, but you need software to see it, such as Exifer.

Heckuva wait to say you're welcome, though, ain't it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif