Utility Rechargeable flashlight for my mate's house.

rlhess

Enlightened
Re: Utility Rechargeable flashlight for my mate\'s house.

Size15s,

I have agonized through the same challenge you're grappling with.

In my opinion, the rechargeables are unpredictible 5-10 years out and will let you down. Alkalines are good and cheap, and lithiums aren't that much more expensive and last a long time.

I'm not sure of the brightness level you're looking for, but a UKE 2L and a bag of 123 cells is far more useful in an emergency than anything short of a LiteBox (IMHO).

I have been more interested since Jan 1994 when we had the not-so-BIG-one--the Northridge Quake--and I didn't have a huge stock of batteries on hand.

I now keep a huge stock of batteries on hand and cycle through the alkalines in 1-2 years...including, sadly, tossing 3-4 year old cells that have lots of life left in them, although now I have a box to recycle those into kids' toys.

In any event, if the duration of the emergency is more than a few hours, I think the primary cell approach might be a better choice--that's at least how I figured it out.

GelCells seem to be quite reliable if you replace them every 5-10 years. NiCds never seemed that way. NiMHs still have a short charge retention off-charger, which I don't like. We haven't yet seen LiION rechargeable torches...that might be very interesting, but still begs the issue about when the battery is discharged, what now (if the power isn't back on and you don't have a truck charger or genset)?

Happy New Year!

Richard

Albany Tom

Enlightened

I think what you want is what I want and doesn't exist - a Polystinger with an LED head.

The Tigerlight is fantastic, but only about an hour runtime.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al, here you go:

fcdcb861.jpg

fcdcb81f.jpg

fcdcb7b4.jpg

fcdcb774.jpg

fcdcb727.jpg

fcdcb6d5.jpg

fcdcb684.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic

I may get a Litebox for myself while I'm at it. Unless SureFire release the L1 first that is...

Thanks for the photos!

Al

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my Streamlight, and would recommend it (and Surefire, of course) above most lights, especially the pelicans. I had a Pelican rechargeable StealthLite for a while, and was never happy with it. The beam wasn't bad, and neither was the battery life or light casing, but it only would charge about half the time, and the switch would only function equally 2/3 the time. Pelican offered to replace it for free, but I got my Streamlight and Surefire in and haven't gotten around to sending it to them yet. Enough rambling for now... in short, you can't go wrong with Streamlight or Surefire, it just depends on what you need. Hope this was somewhat useful.

-Mike

brightnorm

Flashaholic

The Streamlight Stinger series features quick battery change. I've timed it at less than 30 seconds. I keep my Polystinger and spare battery in the piggy back charger which gives me two hours of light in a small package.

Brightnorm

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just bought the Craftsman Xenon Ultra-Beam Lantern, not so much for emergency use as to have something bright that ran longer than the Mag charger. Shame they lied about the 4 hr. runtime, I just can't believe it'll get that off a 4AH HiWatt Gel SLA. Could always swap in a 5 cell Krypton I suppose. They overcharge for the Xenons - $7 for a 2 pk. RS used to carry 6V 1A Xenons but no more. I used one in a bicycle light mod, a Road Toad 4AA with an external 6V camcorder batt. pack. It took the heat, which is pretty impressive.

Biggest ***** about the Ultra-Beam though is that the internal charger is a LM317 circuit (typical, w/current limit) set to 7.2 volts. IOW, they're right when they say in the manual, don't leave on charge over 36 hours. So much for leaving it float charging so it's always ready. Then again, the batt. should hold 80% charge over 6 months according to http://www.hiwatt.com.hk.

Well, if I end up caring enough I can always get a PowerSonic PSC-6500A (for as much $ as the Ultra-Beam itself) and short out the internal regulator. I think it'd be OK if I just ran a wire from + input to the batt. side of the diode they have on the charger output. Dunno what would happen if I used the charger side of that diode, might confuse the PSC, might damage the LM317? I would think a linear regulator would just shut down if you shorted the output to the input but am not sure.

Most of its internal circuitry (3 transistors & a zener) is for the battery meter....which, I hope works better than the one on the rubber 4D lantern I also bought ($13). Nice concept, but it goes yellow at 3.2V, which is well below what I'd call "50% life left". After that it dims so much it's hard to see and it's fully red (green goes out slowly) at 2.6V, which is supposed to be "25% left". Yeah, right.

Oh well, nice rubber lantern in other respects, and the LED at least says, if the light doesn't come on, whether it's your batts or your bulb that are shot.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Why can't I use a superstick in a SureFire 8NX-YL?

Thanks for your post. I'll bear it in mind.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by A00079:
Why can't I use a superstick in a SureFire 8NX-YL?

Thanks for your post. I'll bear it in mind.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not sure of the answer. The modders and techies know much more about this stuff than I do.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Al, if you're still set on rechargeables, another option is a Stinger or Stinger HP using custom assembled batteries.

Dano has mentioned that replacing the stock 1800MAH Stinger batteries with 2400's or 3000's can boost runtime considerably. You would need to have these sticks made up, the biggest problem being the special + and - Streamlight contacts that would have to be scavenged either from old Stinger batteries or from new ones. That is what I'll be doing. I'm hoping for approx 2hr runtime from my Stinger/Stinger HP. If the piggyback charger can accommodate one of these "supersticks" then you'll have nearly 4 hours worth of light. If not, the stock battery stick will at least give you nearly an additional hour.

I agree with Richard and others that rechargeables should always be backed up by nonrechargeables along with plentiful stocks of batteries.

Brightnorm

Tombeis

Enlightened

I did modify a Stinger battery to fit the Surefire 8AX/9AN/8AN flashlights and charger. Runtime in the 8AX was fifty minutes.

So I would guess that building a superstick in a Surefire B90 configuration would be possible.

It's just a matter if adding a 1/8th.inch protrusion to the plus contact of the Stinger battery.

The only problem with the Superstick would be charging it in the Surefire charger. It would probably charge to capacity, but it would require a much longer charging time.

Someone here has made superstick batteries for the 8AN/AX Surefires and discussed the charging time. I believe it was in one of the B90 battery threads. (Of which there are many.)

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks nice:

Cluliter CLU10 Lamp
http://www.alanaecology.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Lamps___Torches_4.html

Also:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page7.htm#aclamps.gif

http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/heating,_lighting_&_power/AK429.html

Too many rechargeable lights have piddly runtimes. Then again I guess if you want long times just buy NiMH 8.5Ah D cells and run them in an alkaline type light. Still, it bugs me that the Mag Charger I have uses 2.2Ah cells that are half the size of those 8.5Ah cells. Why can't I get a 4Ah NiMH 1/2D pack, dammit?

Tombeis

Enlightened

AL;

Do you have Magchargers in England?

The Magcharger while big and heavy, has a runtime of around two hours. Th battery is charged in the flashlight and can be left in the charger indefinatly.

It's size and weight make it handy for dealing with burglars, driving tent stakes, and pounding on the ceiling when the neighbors upstairs get unruly.

Add some of the 3M reflective tape and it would be easily seen

Also one of the larger Streamlight rechargeables would match the Magcharger specs. for runtime and have the same advantages as the Mag.