UV resistant coating for lights?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I wouldn't sweat the quality difference between TYC vs OEM side markers. That's a much easier lamp to make than a headlamp, so go ahead and save the cash.

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
[/COLOR] Don't have a garage or carport anymore, so everything sits out.

I found that polishing my Volvo (2006 V70, plastic!) headlamps was futile. I didn't realize this until I got my new (OEM) ones in. The polished ones I was so proud of were crap in comparison to the new one.

I tried covering my car with a car cover at work to save the headlamps (and window trim and wipers), but it turns out that a good windstorm will blow the cover off. Then I found the solution. Amazon had a set of fender protectors for mechanics. Soft on the inside, magnetic along the bottom edge and elastic straps with plastic hooks on top.
I hang them over the headlamps when I park at work and it covers them and is heavy enough (with magnets) and secure enough (hooks, and pinched by the hood) to stay in place even when it's windy.

For the windshield trim (and to take a lunchtime nap in a cooler car here in Texas) I found a snow cover that cinches around the mirrors and stretch straps with plastic hooks to hook into your fenders or spokes in the wheels.
It covers the sunroof too, so I can leave the front windows cracked open AND the sunroof too, so I get a breeze and vent the inside a bit, without fear of dust/dirt/rain getting in.

https://i.imgur.com/AVchYrL.jpg (link to picture if the inline image doesn't show up right)

AVchYrL.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Ive had good luck with meguiars headlamp protectant.

There is very little chance of any effective UV protection possible with a wipe-on/wipe-off wax-like product such as this. I think it falls in the category of lucky lottery numbers or rabbit's-foot luck charms: fun to believe in, but not really actually useful.

I could be wrong, though. You say you had good luck...what did that look like for you?

Last edited:

Sadden

Enlightened
There is very little chance of any effective UV protection possible with a wipe-on/wipe-off wax-like product such as this. I think it falls in the category of lucky lottery numbers or rabbit's-foot luck charms: fun to believe in, but not really actually useful.

I could be wrong, though. You say you had good luck...what did that look like for you?

I applied it too a brand new set of oem lamps. Followed up with 2-3 applications per winter and my headlamps still looked brand new 6 years later.

Im not sure whats going on in the formulation. But if i left streaks on the lense they dissapear by themselves in a couple minutes. Not something that would happen with a wipe on wipe off wax based product.

The best solution i have found.for.ling term protection is 3m film reapplied every year or two. Keeps em pristine.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I applied it too a brand new set of oem lamps. Followed up with 2-3 applications per winter and my headlamps still looked brand new 6 years later.

And how did the other ones look, the ones that you didn't apply it to and exposed to the same conditions?

Sadden

Enlightened
And how did the other ones look, the ones that you didn't apply it to and exposed to the same conditions?

At work i applied it too my peterbilt headlamps when they werre brand new. They still look good 3 years later.

Other trucks in our fleet headlamps(also peterbilt) are trashed within a year normally. But thats operator error imo.

With our road conditions within 5 years polycarbonate headlamps are normally toasted. My girlfriends 2016 murano already neess new lamps.