Vista

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any early users of Vista?

iveseenthelight said:
I have an HP dv8000 laptop. Does anyone know if it will run windows vista? I can't immediatley recall its specific specs... I'm not a computer whiz I just know it was really expensive. :huh2:

Microsoft has a Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor that you can load (many megs) and it will tell what, if any, you need to load Vista.

Do a Google search.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ran the Vista upgrade advisor. In addition to examining your hardware requirements it will also scan your software and tell you if it thinks any may not be compatible with Vista. For an instance in my system, it said cd software writing program Nero 6 was not compatible. Nero 6 does all I need it to so I never upgraded to Nero 7 when it came out. Another plus for keeping the current OS, I guess.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

geepondy said:
I ran the Vista upgrade. In addition to examining your hardware requirements it will also scan your software and tell you if it thinks any may not be compatible with Vista. For an instance in my system, it said cd software writing program Nero 6 was not compatible. Nero 6 does all I need it to so I never upgraded to Nero 7 when it came out. Another plus for keeping the current OS, I guess.

So, did you go through with the Vista upgrade?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

rofl, that was a rumor.

just in case boys in black come knocking at your door...
i warned you...

got a few jokes

it will scan your now XP computer and tell you that it sucks and needs to be upgraded so that more functions can be used.

handles mutliply pr0n site better then XP becuase of the Windows Flip 3D navigation thing, AKA multi tasking.

most "secure" Windows ever with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
like we don't have those with xp...

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I just ran the Vista upgrade advisor. I wouldn't put it on my current system as I would just barely meet acceptable hardware requirements (P4 2.26, 1gig mem).

Trashman said:
So, did you go through with the Vista upgrade?

Fluffster

Newly Enlightened

After reading quite a lot about content protection in Vista, and how much effort and computing power Microsoft is wasting on needs other than mine, I finally took the plunge and installed Linux (Fedora Core 6) on my laptop two weeks ago. To my surprise, both installing/configuring and daily use is simple and intuitive. I'm not turning back! The only thing I miss is Photoshop, and that app stays on my w2k desktop computer anyway.

I don't quite understand how an industry with combined total gross earnings comparable to the GDP of Zimbabwe can dictate terms to hundreds of millions of computer users.

chrwe

Newly Enlightened

Fluffster said:
The only thing I miss is Photoshop, and that app stays on my w2k desktop computer anyway.

Have you seen GIMP? It's UI is quite different form PS's and I am not a graphics guy, but I have heard it can do lots of stuff.

Fluffster

Newly Enlightened

chrwe said:
Have you seen GIMP? It's UI is quite different form PS's and I am not a graphics guy, but I have heard it can do lots of stuff.
As much as I would like to sing the GIMP's praises, it's a far cry from being as mature and capable as Photoshop. I'm afraid it lags PS by as much as 10 years of solid development...

It's not useless, though, and for very basic stuff it's very useful.

greenLED

Flashaholic

OK, this will sound really weird coming from a decades-long PC user (who enjoys ribbing the Mac guys), but doesn't Mac already do the "Aero" thing with less resources and more stability?

:green: I can't believe I just said that.

I think it's time for me to go back to Linux.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows Vista is out. Now what?

www.microsoft.com

There are 4 versions of this out as it turns out.

The Windows Vista Advisor program has informed me that the Business edition is just fine and dandy for my pc with no real issues.
But Windows Xp Pro with all the newest updates is doing great on my machine. :whistle:

Anyone out there in cyberspace have Vista in any version yet, and how is it doing for you?

:popcorn:

Tritium

Enlightened

greenLED said:
OK, this will sound really weird coming from a decades-long PC user (who enjoys ribbing the Mac guys), but doesn't Mac already do the "Aero" thing with less resources and more stability?

:green: I can't believe I just said that.

:banghead: :twak: :ohgeez: :shakehead

Me either.

Thurmond

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have Fedora Core 6 on my laptop and Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft on my pimary desktop. I have not found Gimp to be lacking in any of the features I actually use in Photoshop. It is missing some of the things I have never used but then why do I care?

I have had an ongoing argument with MS over XP. It was broken. I had three identical PC's with the same brand of hardware inside. Each was built a month apart. None of the three operate my program the same way. MS trashed the API under the hood. After eight months of try this-buy this advice the engineers told me XP is broken and will not get fixed.

My touchscreen computer that I use has a Linux driver. I am switching my VB program over to either mono or Gambas. I will not authorize the use of Vista and can't guarantee that the stability of my programs anymore. I used the exact same code over thirty times in win 95, 98 and 2K units without having to tweak it each time.

MS and I are done.

metalhed

Enlightened

PhotonBoy said:
Maybe in 4 years when I need a new PC, Google will have taken over Microsoft and I'll be able to get Vista for free.

:lolsign:

That's just too funny...and probably true!

drizzle

Enlightened

greenLED said:
Me too. I'm already using Fedora Core on my laptop and I've finally gotten tired enough of World of Warcraft that I think I'm ready to get rid of XP on my main machine as well. That game was the last thing that really held me to XP...that and lots of inertia. :)

not2bright

Enlightened

I purchased a laptop on Monday 1/5/07 with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded.

The machine is a Compaq V6205nr, 2.0Ghz Turion, 1GB mem, 80GB HD, Dual-layer DVD burner, 15.4" brightview widescreen, all for $599 from Best Buy.

I got rid of the free bloatware that came installed and loaded Office Pro 2003, Firefox, and my other apps except iTunes (waiting for the Vista fixed version).

It runs the Aero 3D thing just fine, and for a sub $600 machine it runs very well.

I do expect to encounter problems, and yes the Apple commecials are true that Vista asks you to "accept" or "deny" programs and actions as they are opened. I'm going to leave that on for now as a simple tap of your finger on the touchpad isn't a bother for me.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

not2bright said:
...snip...
I do expect to encounter problems, and yes the Apple commecials are true that Vista asks you to "accept" or "deny" programs and actions as they are opened. I'm going to leave that on for now as a simple tap of your finger on the touchpad isn't a bother for me.

Vista only asks you to accept/deny when a program is trying to either run with Admin priviliges, OR is trying to write outside the users home directory space (or the public space)

As Most older developers under windows did not not try writing with "least user priviliges" you will get this until you upgrade - OR you don't use the default data directory for these programs, and have them store data up under your user space, instead of under their own directory.

I rarely see the accept/deny screens anymore, unless I'm mucking around doing things I should be ;) ( I'm a developer - so I do that a lot )

As you upgrade to software that is "Vista aware" that dialog will be seen less and less

raggie33

*the raggedier*

when i ran it .it would say i am running low on memeory .if i recall it did it when trying to view hdtv with the media thingy.but i forget i had 1 gig a ram.after that i quit useing it but i may reinstall the rc1

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened

I won't be using Vista, and I am a software engineer..... (been developing software for 15+ years and using Windows since v1.02 - and before that, DOS).

When I heard about Vista, I vowed that I would be using *nix on my home systems before Vista went public... I kept my promise.

Running 4 machines at home: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, 6.06 Server, Solaris 10
Parent's machine: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Brother's machine: Win 2K.

It's interesting after worrying about virii, and worms and trojans and email security over the past 15 years, now that I am using *nix on my machines, I actually spend much less time maintaining them. TJW (They Just Work). My 6.06 server hasn't been rebooted since September (UPS battery died, didn't know it, so power interruption did it in..).

Goodbye MS, you can keep your DRM BS and the $400 pricetag for Vista... and your security problems, and your ambition to extort money from every user.. I am tired of MS and have moved on. Vista??? what's that?