Vital Gear FB1 suggestions for head

dpled

Enlightened
I just recieved my FB1 today and I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on which head works the best(surefire-Aleph2?). Also which one is the best color match. Pictures welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This pic is from TRUEBLUE:

http://img30.echo.cx/my.php?image=vgkl45cy.jpg

You need to know that all surefires use the same anodizing process, and the color can vary, so I dont think that there would be a best buy based on color. The best for runtime would be KL1. I have a question, does the FB1 have a lock mode?

-David

dpled

Enlightened
Not familar with lock mode? If it is what I think you mean the tail cap. It is just a simple on off. New switch mech. from what I understand. Thanks for the link!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you turn the tailcap of the vital gear body left, will the clicky work?

-David

dpled

Enlightened
I do not know the answer to that. Perhaps a V-G expert could answer that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he means is, does the light lock out? As in, if you loosen the tailcap far enough, does the switch still function?

dpled

Enlightened
Mags, I just tried it with my Aleph 1 Head and no it does not. I'm curious if the Aleph 2 Natural would be a good color match? Anyone have that combo?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not work, or it doesnt have a lock-out mode?

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Along with the KL4 Lux 5 head you could take apart a KL4 head and replace the insides. It's been done.

I have a KL4 head with a Badboy 600 and a Lux 1 with a R2H emitter. The beam on the Badboy head is moderately strong, has a long run time and the beam is has a nice white tint to it.

If you open your options up using the mix and match Aleph heads and Aleph drop-in options you could different heads, Sandwiches and emitters. It would take a little work to get the electronics in the Aleph head but it is nothing very hard. A couple of hours work would reward you with an Aleph head and drop-in. Drop in electronics options include Downboy, Nexgen, Madmax, Wiz and Wiz2. A MiniPro and others I can't mention now could also be used.

There really are a lot of options using the modular Surefire/Vital Gear platform.

Below is another variation on the VG1. It is a silly but working at full power VG1, Downboy 917 and Aleph 3 head safely powered by a 3.6V RCR123A cell.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
If you turn the tailcap of the vital gear body left, will the clicky work?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that the most convenient and reliable way to lock out the KL1 and many other heads on a vital gear body is via a slight (approx. 1/3 - 180 degree) cc bezel twist. This is also the preferred method of locking out the ASP Taclite/Triad and the Alephs or any light with Don's (McGizmo's) E2C switch. It's a good idea to lube the head o-rings of your "bezel lock-out" lights a little more often than you normally would.

Brightnorm

dpled

Enlightened
Thanks for the link Lunal Tic!

TrueBlue very nice.....I like it!

Cheapo It did not lock out when turned to the left.

Leaning toward a e1e head, but still not sure.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I'm using a stock E1e head with my VG FB-1 and am quite happy with it. I got the head from CPF member jcciv at a very reasonable price. Drop him a line if that is what you choose. I hope to someday get the Chop mod done, but for know the little incan works quite well.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why E1E head over KL1 head? Oh yeah, TRUEBLUE, how much would that head on the pics set you back?

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic
chopmod.jpg

chopsize.jpg

A "chopped" Exe bezel with Aleph-LE on VB1. ne of the smallest combos in the E-Series modular realm.

bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE PICS! Hmm, the aleph kinda looks like a 3p.

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
...Oh yeah, TRUEBLUE, how much would that head on the pics set you back?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Aleph 3 head = $60
Light engine kit = $16
Downboy = $13
Labor = Free!

Total = $89

But it doesn't have to get that expensive. Use a smaller, cheaper and more practical Aleph head to save a good chunk of dough. Stick with the Downboy; it is quite a bargain for what it does. Downboy will work with any voltage from 16V and below. So you can shave prices except for one. The labor is always free!

I think an outrageous yet practical combination would be a VG body, Aleph 1 head and a Downboy converter. Don't forget the Light Engine Kit. The great part about this set up is that if you don't like your combination of body and head then simply use the head on a better Surefire/VG combination.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't run the light to empty yet. I've run it about 10 minutes so far and it stayed bright. Estimated time would be 30 to 35 minutes.

How about another option for a head on the VG body? VG makes an aggressive looking head with an incandescent bulb. I tossed the bulb off to the side and simply added a BugOutGear LED module to the VG head. So a Vital Gear head with a BugOutGear Surefire drop-in module works too.