Vital Gear switch replacement tutorial.

jdboy

Enlightened
I need to try the switch conversion again! Out of 3 high current switches I managed to melt all three while soldering on the spring.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I need to try the switch conversion again! Out of 3 high current switches I managed to melt all three while soldering on the spring.

There is a trick to it. The plastic body is going soften due to the heat being applied to the solder pad when you are getting the solder hot enough to melt. And the solder pad will get pushed out away from the plastic body since the inner contact spring has some tension on it. I'm sure that is obvious enough to all. The trick is to hold down the spring/ solder pad with a set needle nose pliers (that's at least how I do it) or tweezers while keeping the pad from getting pushed out of the body. Once the melted plastic body gets hard again you can release the downward pressure on the spring and your done!

It takes a bit of getting used to but when lightknot explained it to me it made perfect sense. Hope you don't mind me posting in your build post.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a trick to it. The plastic body is going soften due to the heat being applied to the solder pad when you are getting the solder hot enough to melt. And the solder pad will get pushed out away from the plastic body since the inner contact spring has some tension on it. I'm sure that is obvious enough to all. The trick is to hold down the spring/ solder pad with a set needle nose pliers (that's at least how I do it) or tweezers while keeping the pad from getting pushed out of the body. Once the melted plastic body gets hard again you can release the downward pressure on the spring and your done!

It takes a bit of getting used to but when lightknot explained it to me it made perfect sense. Hope you don't mind me posting in your build post.

^This is VERY important!!^

jdboy contact me, I will get you some new switches, if you haven't sourced them already.

jdboy

Enlightened

^This is VERY important!!^

jdboy contact me, I will get you some new switches, if you haven't sourced them already.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I should ask you to replace switches that I messed up myself.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brand new Vital Gear switches are still available at fourleafflashlights.com

High current switches (w/ gold springs) are also available.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Getchya some new o-rings while there folks...

Thanks for the write up!!!
I just acquired an incan FB2 and those o-rings were a great addition. Mine looked like a newspaper rubber band from 1974.

Thank you!!

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
04/11/2020
Original VG brand switches are almost unobtainable at this time.
We still have a few aftermarket switch upgrade kits available.
Vital Gear E2C adapters, and possibly upgraded FB2 flashlight bodies will be available soon.

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Vital Gear switch replacement tutorials.

Papa Death, welcome to the forum. Honored to read your first post ever. Please introduce yourself in the appropriate subforum. I can send you Vital Gear replacement switches and springs. I cannot PM you until you make four more posts. Please email me at : [email protected]

lustforlumens

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys new to the page.

Looking to get vital gear replacement switches.

Links or phone numbers.

Thanks in advance

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lustforlumens, Welcome to the forum. Honored to have your first post. Please introduce yourself, have a look around, and when you have made four more posts, PM me for the Vital Gear Switch info. I have several switch kits available.

lustforlumens

Newly Enlightened
Re: Vital Gear switch replacement tutorials.

Will do much appreciated. Thanks for the welcome

Latest posts