• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Bass

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the original Sundrop head (not XR-U) can host the 119v or XP-G2 LE's?

Are these heads still available now the the 083 is not?

To me, the shorter original head is a perfect aesthetic match for the AA Ti pak and as the AA LE drive current is very similar at 300mA on high to the previous 083 3v on high I would guess output to be similar.

Any knowledge or opinions welcome!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if the original Sundrop head (not XR-U) can host the 119v or XP-G2 LE's?

Are these heads still available now the the 083 is not?

To me, the shorter original head is a perfect aesthetic match for the AA Ti pak and as the AA LE drive current is very similar at 300mA on high to the previous 083 3v on high I would guess output to be similar.

Any knowledge or opinions welcome!

I still have a few of these heads on hand but they only work with a very low profile LED like the Osram Dragons or the 083 Nichia. The 119 and XP-G2 are just a bit too tall and the top of the silicone dome on the LED will make contact with the SunDrop lens.

Bass

Enlightened
Hi Don, thanks for the clarification.

I'm just in the process of sending you an email.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Don, thanks for the clarification.

I'm just in the process of sending you an email.
I just responded but received a failure notice:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<m*****ss@b*****rnet.com>:
Remote host said: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services) [MAIL_FROM]

I put in asterisks to block actual e-mail address from view. I don't know if the stated reputation problem is on my end or yours but my response obviously isn't going to get to you?!?

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks for letting me know. Not sure what's happened here? We've had a few emails back and forth over the past month. Suddenly, someone thinks we are no longer trustworthy :D

I'll try a different email address from me, see if that's the issue.

Email Sent.

Last edited:

Bass

Enlightened
Hi Don, email sent. Posting here in case my email is the issue.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Don, email sent. Posting here in case my email is the issue.
E-mail received. Got hung up with friends on island and a whale watch/ snorkel trip. The whales are now leaving and we have been having rainy/ windy weather so trying to slip out as much as possible when conditions allow. :duck:

Bass

Enlightened
No problem at all! It is the weekend and with what you have in Maui I'm amazed you do any work at all :)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw your photos of your AA pak sundrop. You should rename it the jawdrop!

Question for Don,
Can the Sundrop head be converted to a mule.
I dislike the pronounced circular profile of the beam and adore my mule.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Question for Don,
Can the Sundrop head be converted to a mule.
I dislike the pronounced circular profile of the beam and adore my mule.

If the plano-convex lens of the SunDrop were replaced with a flat window, you would loose the condensing of the light output but with the LED so deep in the head and consequently metal blocking the exit of the light from the LED, you would just choke down on the light exiting and have a pronounced circular perimeter around the beam. This would essentially be a loss in light and little change in the beam pattern. The short answer is no.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi don.

Are the 119v nichias being offered in the sundrop xr-u head? :D
Ive read they were not and then they are, im confused.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi don.

Are the 119v nichias being offered in the sundrop xr-u head? :D
Ive read they were not and then they are, im confused.

The SunDrop XR-U head can be host to any of the LED's I am presently working with and that includes the 119V. Please specify the 119V and also whether you would want the standard HiC drive level of 500 mA or the higher output of 660 mA which the 119V can handle.

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Don,

In post #187 you mentioned that Osram Dragon can be used with the original Sundrop. How would I go about this?.

Can this LED be used with your LE parts?. Intended host would be an E1E or one of your 1xAA packs.

Thanks

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Don,

In post #187 you mentioned that Osram Dragon can be used with the original Sundrop. How would I go about this?.

Can this LED be used with your LE parts?. Intended host would be an E1E or one of your 1xAA packs.

Thanks

The dragons with the silicone dome lens on top will not work but the dragons that are flat will. I have done some royal blue, red and IR lights, custom for some people. Digi-Key sells the Osram Dragons. I think I have some MCPCB's left so I could custom mount a LED. The red and IR have such low Vf that they don't work with the latest version of the 3V (3S) converter but because the Vf is so low, I have found the 6V converter can work with them on a 3V platform. I haven't tried a AA driver with any of the dragons but suspect they would work.