• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

T45

Enlightened
Hi Don!

do you still make a SunDrop head for a Surefire E1 series body? like this one?

10406935_10202218300044296_7122127432640354423_n.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The SunDrop head with light engine ranges from $270 - $280 depending on LED and converter choices. A SunDrop head without Light Engine is $145. Shipping is extra.

shira

Newly Enlightened
The 119 is so much better in terms of efficacy and luminous output that I have phased out the 083B.

In a post elsewhere, you opined that the 083B was unrivaled as to CRI while simultaneously being available at a higher color temperature than the x19 LEDs. I think you also estimated in another post that 60 lumens was the maximum output of an 083B. For an EDC light, that output level seems sufficient for most purposes, while the color temperature and extremely high CRI seem very, very appealing. So is the 083B simply unavailable anymore? Is it the need to limit the endless permutations or requests you receive? Or, if it is available (at a price), what LEs would the 083B compatible with, and how hard can it be driven?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
In a post elsewhere, you opined that the 083B was unrivaled as to CRI while simultaneously being available at a higher color temperature than the x19 LEDs. I think you also estimated in another post that 60 lumens was the maximum output of an 083B. For an EDC light, that output level seems sufficient for most purposes, while the color temperature and extremely high CRI seem very, very appealing. So is the 083B simply unavailable anymore? Is it the need to limit the endless permutations or requests you receive? Or, if it is available (at a price), what LEs would the 083B compatible with, and how hard can it be driven?

I ran out of the 083B's I had and could not get more of the same bin. At this point I don't know what the status is on 083B availability or binning. I can't consider adding more to what I currently offer, sorry. I doubt I could get 083B's that would have benefit over the 119's but that is a guess at this point.

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to order the Sundrop XR-U with a single AA Pak? I saw the option for the 2 AA pak; I was interested in a standard 3S setup with a single AA pak to run 1450 IMRs in. I like the slightly slimmer and longer bodies of 1450 lights, plus I use rechargeable batteries almost exclusively and the extra capacity of a 1450 over RCR123 would be a nice bonus.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Is it possible to order the Sundrop XR-U with a single AA Pak? I saw the option for the 2 AA pak; I was interested in a standard 3S setup with a single AA pak to run 1450 IMRs in. I like the slightly slimmer and longer bodies of 1450 lights, plus I use rechargeable batteries almost exclusively and the extra capacity of a 1450 over RCR123 would be a nice bonus.

Yes, You can get a SunDrop on single AA pak with 3S 3V LE. I would just need to know what LED you want. This is the combo I have been carrying for most of this year. I wear it clipped to the waistband of my shorts and the smaller diameter seems to help me avoid bumping things with it and the form factor in use is nice, IMHO.

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Sir! I appreciate the help. I was thinking XM-L for the LED, if I understand it right, it's the brightest option and being bigger then the other two options it should have a bit more flood? Just won't have as high CRI?

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a Sundrop XR-U with the Nichia 119, 3S with 660ma max (is there a noticeable difference over 500ma?), cr123a clicky pack.
This would be my first McGizmo, thought about the Haiku and Mule (all very different lights) also but think I'd settle on the Sundrop.

Cheers,

F89

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd bump this one again awaiting some feedback.
Can anybody give me an idea of how much difference it makes on the Sundrop XRU with Nichia 119 at 660ma vs 500ma?
Also wondering how it compares to the XPG2 LE?
Any other relevant information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

F89

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Flashlight nut, that helped on the drive current.
I looked around the forum quite a bit but couldn't always find the figures.
I've got quite a few lights with the hi cri 219 so I kind of know what to expect in some ways.
So far settling on a 3V, 3S 660mA 119V LE. Unless of course I change my mind and go for a Haiku with the same LE.

Just made an order with Don.
Ended up going a Haiku although I may end up ordering a Sundrop head someday?

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I got the Haiku with the XP-G2 and the Sundrop with the 119v. I never had a light without a reflector before. The beam is so smooth and pleasant. It's very nice for close up work. Oddly enough the color rendering for both are very similar even though the 119v is HCRI and the XP-G2 is not. I took some photos to show this. I used the Surefire F04 filter on the HDS and Haiku to soften the hotspot.

HDS LE 250 (cool white) on medium with F04 Filter
FFC026E9-C2C5-4AE9-8EB6-A8F8348DA261.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Haiku XP-G2 on medium with F04 Filter
CB201CEC-A207-4820-AE76-994B17B324EC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sundrop HCRI 119v on medium
7336CE1E-CDB8-408D-B39C-964C288DB871.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

eumetazoa

Newly Enlightened
I am ready for my first McGizmo! I have spent hours reading over related threads but could find many that use the Sundrop XR-U Nichia as an EDC. Don has been terrific in responding to my e-mails. I just wanted to get your opinion before I e-mail my order (hopefully tonight). I am deciding between the Haiku XM-L (3s) and the Sundrop Nichia 119v (3s). I know the basic differences, thanks to all of you, but have one last question. How far can the sundrop illuminate outdoors? The one outdoor beamshot I found showed a comparison and the sundrop didn't make it too far. I am not sure how far away the objects were in the distance.

I think the sundrop is great because a floody light is a priority (love the high cri too) but from what I have read the XM-L Haiku is floody too!

Thanks for your help!

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I just wanted to get your opinion before I e-mail my order (hopefully tonight). I am deciding between the Haiku XM-L (3s) and the Sundrop Nichia 119v (3s). I know the basic differences, thanks to all of you, but have one last question. How far can the sundrop illuminate outdoors? The one outdoor beamshot I found showed a comparison and the sundrop didn't make it too far. I am not sure how far away the objects were in the distance....

The SunDrop (with Nichia emitter) is definitely more for close-in use. It is one of my absolute favorites, but I rarely use it for > 6' distances.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
The SunDrop (with Nichia emitter) is definitely more for close-in use. It is one of my absolute favorites, but I rarely use it for > 6' distances.

+1 for an "all rounder" the Haiku with either the XM-L or 119v is going to be a much more versatile EDC unless you really never need a light that throws much. (6 ft or more is a good take on that.) You can always buy the Sundrop Head and swap the light engine into it...

I would recommend a Haiku 1st for sure and then a Sundrop as a second. Just my opinion.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is a SunDrop sporting Nichia 119(v) emitter powered by a AA LE & being fed by a AA Pak a viable option?

And that configuration would be a 3 level light correct?