• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

rickyro

Enlightened
I got the Haiku with the XP-G2 and the Sundrop with the 119v. I never had a light without a reflector before. The beam is so smooth and pleasant. It's very nice for close up work. Oddly enough the color rendering for both are very similar even though the 119v is HCRI and the XP-G2 is not. I took some photos to show this. I used the Surefire F04 filter on the HDS and Haiku to soften the hotspot.

HDS LE 250 (cool white) on medium with F04 Filter
FFC026E9-C2C5-4AE9-8EB6-A8F8348DA261.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Haiku XP-G2 on medium with F04 Filter
CB201CEC-A207-4820-AE76-994B17B324EC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sundrop HCRI 119v on medium
7336CE1E-CDB8-408D-B39C-964C288DB871.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Of these three photos, for my eyes, the 119V is much much better.

debragail

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me the size of the O rings used in the Sundrop XR-U? There's a thread for McGizmo o rings but it just has a question mark for the Sundrop. Just placing an order for spares.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Can anyone tell me the size of the O rings used in the Sundrop XR-U? There's a thread for McGizmo o rings but it just has a question mark for the Sundrop. Just placing an order for spares.

The head to battery pak O-ring is a #017 like the other lights. The lens seal O-ring is a 13 x 1 mm and the lens retaining O-ring is a #015

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF,

I saw the garden beam shot comparisons and had the impression that the U-head delivered more of that brown corona than the original head. Is that so?

I have a 083 U version and use it with an f04 diffuser which --totally-- eliminates that brown circular artifact and makes the beam even wider, but if the original head has much less of the corona I would probably go for it.

thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hello CPF,

I saw the garden beam shot comparisons and had the impression that the U-head delivered more of that brown corona than the original head. Is that so?

I have a 083 U version and use it with an f04 diffuser which --totally-- eliminates that brown circular artifact and makes the beam even wider, but if the original head has much less of the corona I would probably go for it.

thanks!

The original head has the lens too close to the LED for any of the popular LED's now being used that have any type of silicone dome on them; it's a clearance issue.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Don, thanks much for your response.

Yes, I am aware of that clearance issue and I am considering the original non-U head specifically for the nichia 083 based LE that I have now in an XR-U head. I like this 083 LED very much and I just wonder if a non-U head would provide a more artifact free wide beam for this particular LED.

nbp

Flashaholic
No I personally have an XR-U with a datiLED Nichia 219. But a friend has the original and I was very impressed with both the tint of the 083B and the smoothness of the beam. The XR-U has some bit of rings to it in comparison.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dear Don, thanks much for your response.

Yes, I am aware of that clearance issue and I am considering the original non-U head specifically for the nichia 083 based LE that I have now in an XR-U head. I like this 083 LED very much and I just wonder if a non-U head would provide a more artifact free wide beam for this particular LED.

My bad for not picking up on what you have. The original SD head will have less of an artifact than the U head as well as a bit greater angle of coverage as I recall. Have you considered getting an empty Mule head as alternate host for the 083 LE?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The original SD head will have less of an artifact than the U head as well as a bit greater angle of coverage as I recall. Have you considered getting an empty Mule head as alternate host for the 083 LE?
I am seriously considering an empty mule head too, but not for a neutral white LED. I have tried a few LEDs and my best candidate for a mule type beam is 3000K XPL.

Also I think that a SD is one of a very few truly "landmark" lights, so I enjoy owning mine very much anyway, and have no intention to replace it by anything else. But if there is a chance to have an even more perfect beam, I'd go for it.

EDCbrah

Newly Enlightened
Hey Don!

2 quick questions

1.) Do you still make the Sundrop XR-U with a Nichia 083? From what I've read that one seems pretty legendary as far as "sun light esque" quality

1b.) If not is the 119 the highest CRI you offer/best comparable?

if so...

2.) Any guestimate on when I'll be able to order one w/the whole 3S issue going on as I want a Sundrop XR-U with just a cr-123 battery.

Thanks!

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Don!

2 quick questions

1.) Do you still make the Sundrop XR-U with a Nichia 083? From what I've read that one seems pretty legendary as far as "sun light esque" quality

1b.) If not is the 119 the highest CRI you offer/best comparable?

if so...

2.) Any guestimate on when I'll be able to order one w/the whole 3S issue going on as I want a Sundrop XR-U with just a cr-123 battery.

Thanks!

Nichia 083 has not been available for awhile now and yes the 119V is Don's highest CRI offering.

EDCbrah

Newly Enlightened
Nichia 083 has not been available for awhile now and yes the 119V is Don's highest CRI offering.

Thanks! I've been dead set on highest CRI now I'm just flip flopping between a mule 119V or a sundrop xru 119/119v
Basically use it to take uber rookie cell phone EDC pics and illuminate close up stuff I'm messing with (watches, knives, beer cooler after a hockey game in the parking lot, etc).

Guess none of it matters until the 3S issue is deemed solved/resolved :(