Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a cool dry-firing and feedback analyses product that works: https://mantisx.com/products/mantis-x3

Here are two facts as it relates to a bullet's point of impact:
1) The bullet is still in the barrel during recoil. That is why a consistent hold is required for a consistent point of impact
2) 1mm of sight movement on a G19 sized pistol is around 2-3" point of impact shift at 25 yards. 1mm of sight movement on a P365 is around 6" at 25 yards. So, consider that most pistols are around 2.5" of accuracy at 25 yards, the shot dispersion is magnified by the inherent accuracy of the pistol. You can then further magnify it by the inherent accuracy of commercial handgun ammunition.

Great shooters practice a lot and practice with sound fundamentals. I haven't come across an exception.

Not surprising, according to an FBI study from 2015 — when they switched to 9mm 147gr Gold Dot — that handguns have a 70-80% miss rate in the hands of trained pros.
Of course that's with irons…now they use, or should use, red dots.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course that's with irons…now they use, or should use, red dots.
+

How would you rate a red dot to a green laser that sits where the weapon light would?
Both effectively do the same thing (lighting is a factor for sure)

think they're fewer pistols that have the capability to add a red dot, than have the small pic rail

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

How would you rate a red dot to a green laser that sits where the weapon light would?

think they're fewer pistols that have the capability to add a red dot, than have the small pic rail
Sights do not pinpoint your location, but a LASER will. Having said that, LASERs can be used without looking over the pistol. So, you can be standing with the pistol in retention position, and put the LASER on target and shoot from retention, accurately, whereas with a red dot or any other sight, you have to sight over the pistol. Having both would be ideal.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The biggest factor in either is locating the dot or laser and that takes a lot of practice to build and continued practice to maintain the muscle memory. Acquisition speed is king, along with maintaining a sight picture. Some may have to look through the irons to locate the dot and laser.

Red dots generally don't gain you speed....they buy you accuracy at distance. I wouldn't expect to gain speed from a laser either. I can test that with a shot timer though. One benefit of a red dot is it's always on. These days the batteries last 5 years on medium setting.

Not all red dots are equal. Some have a larger window such as the SRO, and then you have differently sized illuminated dots. The smaller windows are harder to use. The larger optics allow you better maintain the sight picture and track the dot. The larger MOA dots like 5-6.5 are easier to pick up.

And like what @IMA SOL MAN pointed out...with a red dot your line of sight is above your irons...where as with a laser it can be from any position. Hopefully that's never a benefit to me, but nice to have when you need it.

I'm taking off an optic if it's slower than irons.

Last edited:
My first impressions of the Olight BadrPro R are all positive. The functions are easy to learn and utilize. For indoor use, the lower 300-lumen setting is just right.

Amazon's shipping department was subpar on this package -
IMG_5206.JPG

Another Bounce-Around-Box. :ohgeez:

IMG_5212.JPG

The ambidextrous switches are easily manipulated and within reach of my (medium-sized) hand.

IMG_5210.JPG

As previously stated, this setup will be only for home defense.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nice Chance,
don't get defensive, just a thought,,, could you go one rail or adjustment closer to the pistol for the light.
Tuck her in a bit...
Bet you could w/o causing any hangup issues

btw, really like your XD

+

Nice Chance,
don't get defensive, just a thought,,, could you go one rail or adjustment closer to the pistol for the light.
Tuck her in a bit...
Bet you could w/o causing any hangup issues

btw, really like your XD

Defensive!? I'LL SHOW YOU DEFENSIVE!
Image 1.jpg

😁 I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Nope. It's at where it's at. The next grove on the XD is approximately 1/4".

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first impressions of the Olight BadrPro R are all positive. The functions are easy to learn and utilize. For indoor use, the lower 300-lumen setting is just right.

Amazon's shipping department was subpar on this package -
View attachment 53749
Another Bounce-Around-Box. :ohgeez:
Looks like Amazon recoil tested it for you o_O

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a few min clip of that movie Rust, it showed baldwin run thru town and shoot revolver, it looked so fake, the recoil i mean, you can see he is actually trying to imitate a muzzle jump, but he does it too slow and too late. like a kid would do with his cap gun.

Latest posts