Wet McClicky Switch

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok so say I got water in my light and my McClicky got wet. 1-would I have intermittent problems with it "I'm thinking yes" and 2-if it dries out should it be fine?

focusworks

Newly Enlightened
I would think it'll probably be fine if it dries out. Maybe stick it in some rice to make sure

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it doesn't corrode, is should be fine.

Put it in a ziplock baggie with white rice and seal it for a few days.

Chris

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I'm working on it now.the big question is how the hell did I get water in it in the first place?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A good one😁. I'd rather not get into what light it is. Some, but not all jump to conclusions and then the bashing starts.I appreciate all the input and I'll get some new O-rings. I'm sure that's all it is.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
A good one😁. I'd rather not get into what light it is. Some, but not all jump to conclusions and then the bashing starts.I appreciate all the input and I'll get some new O-rings. I'm sure that's all it is.

Check the switch boot too when you disassemble. I recently noticed that a few of mine have cracked after years of use.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did the ingress occur? At the switch boot or between the tail cap and the body of the flashlight?

Since O-rings are cheap, I change them more often than necessary. I also keep them well lubed.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so say I got water in my light and my McClicky got wet. 1-would I have intermittent problems with it "I'm thinking yes" and 2-if it dries out should it be fine?

Last time i looked at a McClicky switch, it was made of plastic and copper. The internal spring may be made out of steel, though. That would be my only concern as far as corrosion. Worse case scenerio, replace the McClicky switch, boot & retaining o-ring. Should cost about $12 - $15 sans shipping. I keep atleast 5 spare McClicky's on hand for all my McClicky based lights as i have worn through 3 so far from many years of wonderful use.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it doesn't corrode, is should be fine.

Put it in a ziplock baggie with white rice and seal it for a few days.

Chris

Please go do some research into this. It is just about the worst suggestion to make for this. It doesn't actually work and could even cause corrosion because you would be sealing in the moisture to corrode more rather than allowing it to evaporate naturally. It will actually dry out faster if you just leave it out.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
wash it in pure alcohol and wait until it dries :)
now I remembered once I disassembled McClicky, inside there is a steel return spring, I also once broke a button from cheap Chinese lantern - the return steel spring was corroded by rust and broke in half. It may make sense after drying to pour inside in something like a silicone grease, not very viscous, so that it works reliably

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please go do some research into this. It is just about the worst suggestion to make for this. It doesn't actually work and could even cause corrosion because you would be sealing in the moisture to corrode more rather than allowing it to evaporate naturally. It will actually dry out faster if you just leave it out.

Just to make sure, it is 'uncooked' raw rice :) I can vouch for this. It works not only on the McClicky but cell phones, walkitalky, a laptop (yep), and other electronics sensitive to water damage.

This is the reason why some restaurants mix salt and raw rice to prevent moisture from clogging the salt shakers. Super absorbent.

Otherwise, you can also use silica gel (those packets that comes in food packaging). You may need a few though.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't think so, but you keep doing 'you.'

Chris

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the rice in a bag technique is actually recommended by that big name electronic manufacturer with the fruit name that makes all those iDevices and computers.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the rice in a bag technique is actually recommended by that big name electronic manufacturer with the fruit name that makes all those iDevices and computers.

Because they don't have an interest in selling you another one instead, do they?

But hey, y'know what...do what ya want. Let's go ahead and keep spreading the myth then.

Here are some links to some research I did in just the last few minutes:

https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com...st-way-save-your-water-damaged-phone-0154799/

https://medium.com/@cathenichol/you-can-dry-your-phone-in-a-bag-of-rice-myth-or-truth-e75bdfba9a58

https://www.quora.com/Does-rice-help-a-wet-phone

https://eftm.com/2018/01/how-to-fix-a-wet-phone-do-not-put-it-in-rice-45779

Now I'm going to say that I feel like people here should know better...there's no magic involved. But the reference to the fruit manufacturer does make me question my assumption. If you were to dry out the switch using warm air and/or a desiccant and as long as there was no residue left behind and you did not apply power to it (switch it on) while there was any moisture inside...it really should be fine.

Don't worry, I'm gonna continue to "do me" and I think I'm gonna stop giving any information out at all. Maybe. At least right now I don't feel like being helpful anymore.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to upset you Lightfooted. Just wanted share the experience.

The articles you've linked also indicate that some form of desiccant is better than none, and uncooked rice does indeed absorb moisture but performs worse than 'other' desiccants. However, I'd prefer rice over 'oatmeal' :)

I think rice is used primarily because of ease of access and it leaves easy to clean residue if any. And, in the case where you 'can' take the equipment apart, perhaps dabbing with towel and air drying is better, but we're talking about a McClicky switch that we're trying to 'avoid' taking it apart.

Can't speak for others but in my case, with my cell phone and the walkitalky (and the laptop), that my kids have dropped, I was able to 'shake' off the water as best as I could and put it in my ziplock bag full of rice. After a day, both equipment fired back up without any issues.

In this scenario, I don't think throwing the McClicky in the bag of rice will hurt to remove the little moisture in the switch that will prevent rusting.

*Edit*
Oh, and desert.snake's suggestion of alcohol makes great sense but never tried that before!

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alcohol would do the trick to drive out any moisture from the switch, you would then want to re-lubricate the switch for smooth function and to protect the internal spring.